Total knee replacement

mrbofus

Getting new knee in a few weeks and would like to hear from others who have had knee replacement. I usually hunt steep rough rugged areas and hope to continue doing the same in the future.
What has been your experiences?

Getting new knee in a few weeks and would like to hear from others who have had knee replacement. I usually hunt steep rough rugged areas and hope to continue doing the same in the future.
What has been your experiences?

Getting the same thing first week of April and I plan on being ready in Sept.. I know too many college football teammates that have went through the same. Common denominator that I keep hearing is get into the best shape you can before surgery and do your rehab until you absolutely can't handle any more. You're probably looking at the 3 - 3's. 3 days in hospital, 3 weeks of walker/crutches/cane and 3 months of rehab.

I've had major reconstructive surgery on my knee in the past. Find the best, meanest, oneryest, honest, caring PT that you can find. Then get lined up with a deep massage therapist - it will make rehab those first few months a little more tolerable and let you take a few less pain pills?

A swimming pool will be your friend. Start by just resting your arms on the edge of pool and swing your legs or imitate walking. In a few days you should be able to walk in waste deep water holding on to edge of pool.

Don't take anything I intend to do or say without checking with your doctor. Tell both your doctor and your PT what YOU want to accomplish. They been telling me that the average person does ....... I say BS, this is what we need to accomplish. It's their job to lay out the program. It's our job to do what they tell us. I can tell you right now the most troublesome thing you will run into is getting that knee to flex to 120 degrees. It's going to be stiff as hell - you'll just have to stay with it.

After 3 months most of the pain should have subsided - then you really need to kick in the rehab training. That's when most people back off because they're feeling good again and are pain free. Don't quit working out, pick up the pace.

The only really bad thing after all the smoke clears is - you probably will never kneel on the new knee again on concrete, gravel or anything hard without using a knee pad or some type of cushioning - even years after.

My knee is bad and has been for a long time. My doctor looked at my X-ray after hunting season and said "How the hell you been hunting in steep country with a backpack with that knee?" I told him easy, I just grin and bear it and when I get back to the wall tent I just take 5 ibruprofen , wash it down with 5 Budlights and repeat as necessary. He didn't even smile, just picked up his phone and said: We need to schedule this guy for a full knee replacement. **** doctors have no sense of humor.

If things go well - no infection, you rehab and stay with it, you should be able to go right back to your same old steep hunting areas (With a pair of trekking poles - get em if you don't use them now).

Good luck - it's not going to be fun but in the end everyone tells me that I'll have wished I had done it a lot sooner.

PS: What part of Idaho are you located - if you get around the Island Park area this summer I intend to be doing a lot of slow steady hiking.

I am 54 years old and have had both knees replaced.

Both knees are total rebuilds.

As stated before, work on your range of motion and muscle strength above and below your knee before the surgery.

If everything goes well for you, you will be walking with crutches as soon as you are awake enough to do so. You may be sore, but, push yourself as hard as you can(listen to your surgeon, but do as much as you can as soon as you can do it)

Keep your range of motion and strength as close or better than pre-surgery as soon as you can.

I promise you that if you puss out and let yourself become stiff and weak you will regret it for a long time.

I am not sure what your surgeon will tell you, but mine told me no running,jumping, sidehilling or any other pressure/stress inducing impacts for about a year.

After I was totally recovered from both surgeries, my doctor told me not to run anymore ever. I know this is not normal, and I'm not sure why I am so limited, but I can tell you, you don't want to knock the parts loose or injure your bones or ligaments in that area.

Mind you, I am old, fat and ugly. As soon as my knees were replaced, I wondered why I waited so long to get them done.

Good luck in your future. Let me know if I can do anything for you.

JW

After I was totally recovered from both surgeries, my doctor told me not to run anymore ever. I know this is not normal, and I'm not sure why I am so limited""""

Well running is not normal after a knee. Remember, these were designed to allow 65 and older to walk again. Most of these replacements are cemented in. The cement is more like a. Grout. If u have cyclic pounding, eventually the cement will fail. So u can run, just understand that means higher rate of failure and u will be back for a revision.

Work hard and never give up. Make you and your surgeon proud!!!

Thanks guys, I am 50 and in decent shape, tall skinny and have had a couple surgery's on knee. Trying to do what I can for strength and flexibility prior to but it all is painful.
Have heard most that's been said before so its good to hear again for reassurance.
Yes I Will be on the 3's, yes I have a great PT, whom also recently had Total knee and now rocks! So in good hands there. And also been told no running or jumping, I haven't run in years because of the knee and always said regardless of what may chase me, if its run or fight, its gonna be a hell of a fight because running ain't a option.

Keep the advise coming!

I haven't had it done yet. But the doc has advise that I need to have both mine done. My wife has had to have both of hers done. The pt is very important. When we went to the pt secissions I went with her. Then when we got home we continued with everything we could. We like to hunt, fish and be in the outdoors and being laid up was not an option we wished to take as we do everything together. At 69 she doesn't hunt much any more. But is still riding her horse and goes into the back country with me. Helps set up camp, cooks and takes care of the horses. She says she looking foward to helping me. Some how or the other I'm not sure wether to be thankful or a little worried. But she says the phyisical therapy is the reason she was able to continue to do these things. Good luck and hope things turn out for the better.

I had a partial done in December of 2015 @ 46 years old. All the advice given so far is spot on. Stay positive do exactly as they tell you. I'm able to still commercial fish in Alaska and mountain hunt but be very careful. No running or jumping out of your truck. You will feel very good after a few months so don't over do it. Good luck and may God bless your surgery.

Corey

Attachments

• 20161213_095732.jpg
    20161213_095732.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 19
I had a partial done in December of 2015 @ 46 years old. All the advice given so far is spot on. Stay positive do exactly as they tell you. I'm able to still commercial fish in Alaska and mountain hunt but be very careful. No running or jumping out of your truck. You will feel very good after a few months so don't over do it. Good luck and may God bless your surgery.

Corey

There's an Oxford!!!!

I had both done 1-5-16 and 4-12-16 rehab went great and I can do anything I want within reason at 65 years old. Don't be soft on your rehab but don't over do it what motion you have a 8 weeks will probably be it so push yourself on that. Good luck

OP,

I forgot to add, You will hear clicking after your surgery.

I don't know if others around you can hear it, but, if you walk at the right speed, you can add your own percussion instrumental to your favorite songs!

Good luck, be tough and enjoy your new knee.

All sounds good as long as I do what I am suppose to then a little more. Not ready for the rocking chair quite yet.
Thanks all!

The Oxford is a little different than a total (other than being a partial or "Uni")because it has a mobile bearing. The poly is what the femural component rides on and if not sized correctly, they dislocate easily. The only mobile tibial bearing that I'm aware of in a total knee is the Sigma by Depuy Synthes.

You all are very, very good patients. Because all of you were committed to doing what it took to make the best of your surgery, you all have been very successful!!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts