Hip Replacement

Thanks for letting me know. Jill will surely get me going. We have a lot of projects with Laser Engraving and Custom Chambering set up for 2024.
Well, it is not just about getting up on it. If you are like me, you will throw 2-3 pair of shoes away because of how you are walking now, then you will go through 1-2 more as part of recovery.

I've been complaining more about hip pain during our walks during the year of recovery. :) I can finally walk 4 mi without my right hip hurting until the end. I think that means I need to get to 8 mi! Seriously, the more you walk, the more it feels better!

Recovery of the right hip seems to be wearing out the left!

Good evening all!
I have had a "Knee Replacement" Shoulder Replacement" and "C-2 to C-7" replaced.
I now need a right Hip Replaced. Is there anyone out there that has an extra Hip that you can lend me?
I hear that they are pretty common and a lot of over active people have them. Just checking to see if there is a "New" or "Slightly" used one out there.
Like "Pawn Stars"...lightly used Leupold 1.5-5 best I can do ;)

Had both knees done 6 yrs ag. Left hip last Jan. Right one 5 weeks ago….. Hips are much easier than knees. At 6 weeks you should be in pretty good shape. 8 weeks activities "as tolerated ". Get someone who knows what they are doing. The right Dr. is important. Ask the physical therapist folks in your area who is doing the best job. They see all of the end results.
Bruce

Gday coyote shadow tracker
I wish you the best from this side of the ditch

I watched my mother have 2 hip replacements & varying results
Which wasn't the surgery as they were both very successful
It was on the following
the first one was great improvement in mobility & physio etc went well
12 months later number 2 done & all going the same extremely well until she had a fall & it destroyed her confidence & one we just couldn't get her to leave the walker as the fear had touched her in a way I'd never seen before but today she acknowledges that she should have pushed through that fear for the big picture

So all I'm trying to say is get your surgery done do you physio & all they tell you & most of all keep your eye on that big picture as that's what will get you through

Cheers Fordy

Had both knees done 6 yrs ag. Left hip last Jan. Right one 5 weeks ago….. Hips are much easier than knees. At 6 weeks you should be in pretty good shape. 8 weeks activities "as tolerated ". Get someone who knows what they are doing. The right Dr. is important. Ask the physical therapist folks in your area who is doing the best job. They see all of the end results.
Bruce
For OP or anyone else looking at a replacement, this is really good advice!!! If you are shopping for a doctor, do some checking. Be educated. Sounds like there are several others of you reading this conversation. PTs get to see all the local handiwork, and they are the ones who have to figure out the rehab challenges for each individual. Of course, PTs will also tell you that motivated patients do best, and those who expect the PTs to do all the work have the poorest overall results.

Keep in mind this is not about the 6-8 weeks of healing and rehab, it is about the rest of your life.

With joint replacements, healing is on the schedule of repairing a broken bone (6-8 weeks), which is essentially what has happened. They remove bone to replace it with titanium. The injured bone has to heal, as does all that soft tissue around the joint. Despite what we all want, recovery and healing are not instantaneous.

One other thing to keep in mind is that while joint replacements replace bone ends where cartilage wore off, making the joint arthritic, there is a lot more to a joint. If you have screwed up ligaments and tendons or have other soft tissue damage, that replacement generally will not change those old injuries. So it may still have some pain, even fully healed.

The doctor can do his or her best work on you, but the final product is also the patient's responsibility.

As a generic statement, even though doctors may look at my age as "old", I seek out doctors involved in sports medicine because I find they better understand the mindset of active people who just want to get back to their active lifestyle.

I'm a PT and I'll share that I rarely see hip replacements with posterior approaches anymore. Of recent I've even noticed lateral approaches being used more frequently than anterior, which I'm beginning to prefer due to less precautions compared to anterior/posterior. Be candid and share with your surgeon and PT's the functional demands of your lifestyle (I'd even inquire if they hunt) so you can collectively find and agree on a plan of care that's best for your needs.

I'm a PT and I'll share that I rarely see hip replacements with posterior approaches anymore. Of recent I've even noticed lateral approaches being used more frequently than anterior, which I'm beginning to prefer due to less precautions compared to anterior/posterior. Be candid and share with your surgeon and PT's the functional demands of your lifestyle (I'd even inquire if they hunt) so you can collectively find and agree on a plan of care that's best for your needs.
Glad to hear what you say. Don't know what part of "out west" you are in, but in this little backwater Wyoming town, posterior is the only option. I traveled for mine. But that is why I brought this up. I want to pass along that there are better ways, and encourage people to talk with their doctors about options and expected outcomes. The way I see it, you are interviewing the doctor for the job of working on you. Lateral, I can see might also require less restriction if they don't have to cut through as much tissue. Glad you weighed in!

I guess one good thing is that there are a lot more of us seasoned citizens, who are not retirement home residents, who now need replacements, so medical attitudes are probably changing. Ageism is a thing. Now it is not just little old ladies who fell and broke a hip who are seeking replacements. I know a lot of people now getting joint replacements, and I do my best to help them prepare - mentally and logistically - when I can.

Thanks for that.I have a sister in New Orleans that is a P T and she too said there are new ways to do the same hip replacement as years past.
Mine is not bad enough yet but Len is so I'll watch his progress.

Glad to hear what you say. Don't know what part of "out west" you are in, but in this little backwater Wyoming town, posterior is the only option. I traveled for mine. But that is why I brought this up. I want to pass along that there are better ways, and encourage people to talk with their doctors about options and expected outcomes. The way I see it, you are interviewing the doctor for the job of working on you. Lateral, I can see might also require less restriction if they don't have to cut through as much tissue. Glad you weighed in!

I guess one good thing is that there are a lot more of us seasoned citizens, who are not retirement home residents, who now need replacements, so medical attitudes are probably changing. Ageism is a thing. Now it is not just little old ladies who fell and broke a hip who are seeking replacements. I know a lot of people now getting joint replacements, and I do my best to help them prepare - mentally and logistically - when I can.
I agree that the surgical options are also a product of the preference/experience of the surgeons in your region. I'm in a smaller town in the mountains in CA, but there's a bigger city about 30 miles away with more availability of surgeons.

With the laterals the biggest drawback I've noticed is that I do occasionally see slightly slower hip/pelvic stabilizer strength improvements because of the incision being near one of the glute muscles, but that's looking at isolated role of a particular muscle not so much regaining function.

I'd say heck, if insurance allows come on out for surgery and rehab. I love when I get a fellow hunter. It's a lot more exciting than trying to restore someone who just wants to get back wine tasting.