Too Frugal to shoot?

Each shortage taught me something, and each one I was prepared in some ways and not others. Hard to predict.

The industries inability to rise to demand is a bit concerning. Not sure if it's the mom and pop nature of the sport, the consolidation or the larger societal factors at play. It certainly cannot scale up and down fast enough to meet sporting demands, scares me to think what we'd do in a real conflict.

Will look into this & report back.
SRP .22-.250 from 6.5 CM SRP brass
So far so good - worked on 2 Fed 6.5 CM cases:

sized down in small increments using Redding .22-.250 body die - well lubed
sized neck with RCBS .22-.250 trim die and trimmed to 1.905
expanded neck with .22-.250 Lee collet die - thick neck walls
turned neck to .246
F/L resized with expander, trimmed again to 1.902,3 & chamfered mouth

Brass fits in chamber - measurements look OK

Next -
check head space
Compare reformed 6.5CM > .22-.250 capacity with other .22-.250 cases

If looks good-
anneal 20 cases, redo steps, & start working up load. Goal is to get moderate velocities with CCI 41's, 75 ELD's & extruded AA4350.

Last edited:
Each shortage taught me something, and each one I was prepared in some ways and not others. Hard to predict.

The industries inability to rise to demand is a bit concerning. Not sure if it's the mom and pop nature of the sport, the consolidation or the larger societal factors at play. It certainly cannot scale up and down fast enough to meet sporting demands, scares me to think what we'd do in a real conflict.
1: Two large groups bought up EVERY SINGLE USA AMMO AND COMPONENT MANUFACTURER:

Olin Corporation and Vista Outdoor.

2: Smart people with MBAs work for large companies to maximize their SHAREHOLDER VALUE.

AMMO COMPANIES MANAGENT MAIN OBLIGATION ARE TO PRODUCE MAXIMUM PROFITS FOR THEIR OWNERS/MAXIMIZE THEIR STOCKHOLDERS SHARE VALUES, NOT MAKE USA CUSTOMERS HAPPY.

The bright MBAs figured out that trying to ramp up ammo/component production to meet a cyclical, often panic/political rhetoric driven demand was STUPID, disruptive and wasteful (I'm still shooting up many 1,000s of primers I got dirt cheap from people who panicked because Bill Clinton was going to confiscate all our guns, horded & ratholed everything they could find- Then never USED it, or ever realy learned to reload, finally just dumped 90% of it at a loss).

It is demonstrably MUCH more profitable when encountering self reinforcing panic fueled demands to just keep making about the quantity your existing infrastructure CAN make- AND RAISE PRICES DUE TO "SCARCITY" UNTIL AROUND THE POINT WHERE DEMAND FOR SAME QUANTITY OF NOW REALLY EXPENSIVE AMMO IS AT ABOUT 105% OF THEIR EXISTING PRODUCTION CAPACITY. Why waste money when the suckers will double your profits for doing NOTHING except entering higher prices into your catalogues?

No money WASTED building out factories/adding production lines, hiring & training new workers, then shutting down factories and mothballing production lines they still have to pay on business expansion loans for/pay property tax on- And laying off hard tofind, expensive to recruit & train workers (who now ruin their employment statistics, drive up costs of their unemployment compensation insurance!).

"Is no personal. Is only business."

Screenshot_20230110-084819_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
1: Two large groups bought up EVERY SINGLE USA AMMO AND COMPONENT MANUFACTURER:

Olin Corporation and Vista Outdoor.

2: Smart people with MBAs work for large companies to maximize their SHAREHOLDER VALUE.

AN AMMO COMPANIES MAIN OBLIGATION IS TO MAKE MAXIMUM PROFITS FOR THEIR OWNERS/STOCKHOLDERS, NOT TO MAKE US CUSTOMERS HAPPY.

The bright MBAs figured out that trying to ramp up ammo/component production to meet a cyclical, panic/political rhetoric driven demand was STUPID, disruptive and wasteful (I'm still shooting up many 1,000s of primers I got dirt cheap from people who panicked because Bill Clinton was going to confiscate all our guns, horded & ratholed everything they could find- Then never USED it, or ever realy learned to reload, finally just dumped 90% of it at a loss).

It is demonstrably MUCH more profitable when encountering self reinforcing panic fueled demands to just keep making about the quantity your existing infrastructure CAN make- AND RAISE PRICES DUE TO "SCARCITY" UNTIL AROUND THE POINT WHERE DEMAND FOR SAME QUANTITY OF NOW REALLY EXPENSIVE AMMO IS AT ABOUT 105% OF THEIR EXISTING PRODUCTION CAPACITY. Why waste money when the suckers will double your profits for doing NOTHING except entering higher prices into your catalogues?

No money WASTED building out factories/adding production lines, hiring & training new workers, then shutting down factories and mothballing production lines they still have to pay on business expansion loans for/pay property tax on- And laying off hard tofind, expensive to recruit & train workers (who now ruin their employment statistics, drive up costs of their unemployment compensation insurance!).

"Is no personal. Is only business."

They also know that they will never lose any customers due to they control the market! Well the majority of it! May they rot in hell for being greedy! It's not capitalism it's just plain and simple greed!

They also know that they will never lose any customers due to they control the market! Well the majority of it! May they rot in hell for being greedy! It's not capitalism it's just plain and simple greed!

Perhaps this and intelligent business decisions!

We had two years of virtual industrial shutdowns across the globe! There are shortages of almost all materials across the entire spectrum! memtb

I believe that once upon a time there was a tool (press of sorts) , Corbin I think, that was for this purpose! memtb
Those .22LR jacketed bullets are fine for varminting/plinking. It's where Vernon Speer started, back in the (good?) old days. Then his brother got into producng finished ammo too, started a little company called CCI?

Corbin and several others are still making the presses and tooling, there is a sub forum on castboolits for swaged bullet discussion, they even allow people who (gasp!) put JACKETS on lead.

The wave of the future seems to be lead bullets with baked on powder coating, seen more and more about this for a while- I've not tried it myself yet. Still casting, lubeing with magical waxy/oily stuff and reloading, works fine if I've got the time.

Perhaps this and intelligent business decisions!

We had two years of virtual industrial shutdowns across the globe! There are shortages of almost all materials across the entire spectrum! memtb
And nobody made you wear a mask while you went hunting, plus a lot of folks had a lot of down time to hunt.