Too Frugal to shoot?

Ever used old cellulose film as a smokeless powder? Similar to old Cordite.
We even learned how to reuse expended primers. Remove the anvil, use a flat punch or proper size to hammer out the firing pin dent, refill with the old, wet match head formula, replace anvil and let dry. While not a modern primer, they did work........most of the time.

Of course, making black powder is fairly easy, as long as the .gov does not begin restricting sulpher or potassium nitrate, but it can be made also.
My dad did that while he was in high school and wanted to shoot during WWII, before he went into the navy in '45.

Nitrocellulose film stopped being made (mostly) over 40 years ago. Not much to be found now- Low nitration too. Dad said it gunked up a rifle fast, was low performance.

Last edited:
Your right about AREA of the country. There in TEXAS EVERYONE IS PREPARING FOR MEXICO TO RETAKE THE STATE. With all the ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS. GOOD LUCK. All kidding aside it's the Recession were in. 🤔
You might be kidding but it ain't far from the truth. Just had a buddy telling me about how some illegals tried to climb up in his deer blind right before sunrise WHILE HE WAS IN IT.

You might be kidding but it ain't far from the truth. Just had a buddy telling me about how some illegals tried to climb up in his deer blind right before sunrise WHILE HE WAS IN IT.
They probably thought it was a abandon house. And a dozen of them were going to move in. 🤪 I lived in TEXAS for 8 years, construction workers and worked on drilling rigs, from 1980 thru 88. Had enough of the Hines 57 molty lingo culture. God bless you brother, wish you the best. SHOOT then ask questions after. 👍

There has also been some horrendous weather in parts of the country recently making travel a little more impossible. I know it's been raining in NE Ohio this last week and I don't really care to unload, set up and shoot in the rain.

My other thought is that there is a substantial shift towards paying more and closer attention to our families considering the economic fallout from the current administration's policies. I see smaller crowds at the store, on the roads and even in church. Some of this may be from the continuing alerts for the next generation virus that always seem to be cropping up when the last one loses steam. The price of fuel is falling slightly in my area of the country but food prices are incredibly more expensive.

I don't have the urge to drive around and visit or even see other people these days. I despise wearing masks and Southwest's failure in my market has curtailed my air travel. I go to the shop and return home. The savings in fuel is nice.

Maybe shooting for entertainment is on the decline in some areas, who knows?

:(
I think that is well put, you and I are about the same. If it wasn't for my own range, I wouldn't go out to shoot!

Crazy. Even though prices have tripled or quadrupled, I don't think I have slowed down a bit, and load more than ever.

If I was closer, I would come shoot with you almost every weekend!
I have never stopped reloading, but my powder and primer supplies are still shrinking at the cost of those two. Been substituting powders, but the primers!

I conserved my ammo last December by shooting two does with one 168 gr TTSX...both through the spine and both DRT. Friend who was with me couldn't believe it.
20221119_092342.jpg

I live in rural Ohio and have a private range, with pistol and up to 300yd rifle. This year there were only two friends that came out to shoot pistol and nothing for deer gun season or any other shooting. I usually see 15-30 friends and neighbors coming over every year just for Deer. Haven't seen anybody to ask yet, so my thoughts are the cost of the sport now?
I've curtailed my shooting greatly over the last ten years. The last three have been even more hard on my shooting supplies. This year I'll be increasing my shooting with pistols taking up more of my focus.

Recent Posts