Learning to shoot

This might be obvious but start out with something small (223 or similar). Its hard to learn the right way when your worried about how much its going to hurt when you squeeze the trigger!

I tend to like starting out with proper technique as not to engrain bad ones in my head. That's why I asked the question. I'll try to find an instructor but again sometimes it's not just finding someone willing to instruct but the separation of the wheat from the chaff that makes all the difference.

What clubs, ranges do you have near you?

There is Bob White in north jersey who also sells used bench rest rifles. He also builds new ones. If I remember correctly he shoots at a club in central jersey that is open to the public. He has a good reputation. If I were you I would talk with him. Web site below.

Keep it simple, keep it fun..

Shooters Corner | Bio

What clubs, ranges do you have near you?

There is Bob White in north jersey who also sells used bench rest rifles. He also builds new ones. If I remember correctly he shoots at a club in central jersey that is open to the public. He has a good reputation. If I were you I would talk with him. Web site below.

Keep it simple, keep it fun..

Shooters Corner | Bio
I reached out to him but do you know what services he offers? It seems like he just sells rifles. Might be a bit too late for that for me.

You could ask him if he has any suggestions regarding shooting ranges or clubs in northern NJ. I have not yet met him but I have read he is a nice guy and good for the sport. Not just a salesman.

You might also want to read the 6mmBR web site (read the forum). Lots of ranges in PA. And the 1000 yard club runs classes once a year. I had read they may have a fall class this year. Not that you have to do any of it but just by visiting some of these clubs may give you direction. There is also Cumberland Riflemen in Millville, NJ. Millville is way south but has members from northern NJ as well as NY, PA, DE, etc. But best if you have a club within an hour, maybe a little more.

http://www.6mmbr.com

The Original Pennsylvania 1000 Yard Benchrest Club, Inc. The Birthplace of Long Range Shooting.

CUMBERLAND RIFLEMEN

Canadian Bushman and Zep I believe had the best suggestions other then reading a book or watching a video. These should give you a well rounded idea on how to go about long-range shooting. gun) Good Luck to you.

Don Dunlap

I spoke to Bob White today. Really nice guy. Turns out he shoots at my range and he's the chairman of benchrest shooting there. He runs a seminar once a year at the range but I missed this years. He pointed me to the original 1000 yard benchrest club but that's nearly 4 hrs driving from my house. He gave me one mans contact info that might be closer but I have yet to call him.

I'll check out the rest of the links. Thanks!

Great ! - Welcome to the sport.

It has been my experience if you just show up and the clubs with a positive attitude people will help you. Lots of nice guys and gals out there shooting.

Keep us posted.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.