Scope mount issue, shoots too high...

If want to cant the scope, you need a different scope rail.
How does a 20MOA base work? A 0MOA base is considered flat, or level with the bore of the gun. A 20MOA base is canted down in the front toward the barrel. By canting the base down in the front, this is what allows for more usable elevation adjustment in the scope. To many shooters who are not familiar with the concept, canting a scope down in front sounds incorrect. They feel it makes more sense to them if the scope is pointed up. To help explain how this works, please take a look at the illustration below.

0MOA vs 20MOA edit

Thanks for all the reply's guys, I figured out that I had "adjusted" the zero-stop incorrectly. Also, the Talley mounts that I am using for this gun mount directly to the receiver, no rail is used.

Last edited:
A friend had the same problem , scope had been mounted at the store and the rings
were different in height. Looking at them you couldnt tell but after swapping front to
back his group dropped. They were not Talley though.

A smart thing to do when sighting in is to loosen those allen screws for the zero stop, and leave them loose. Then you can dial to the extreme travel both ways without fiddling at the range. When you are zeroed, then set the stop and tighten the screws.

Mounted a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 (bought from buddy) on an older Kimber 8400 .338 WinMag with Talley one piece mounts.
Sighting in today, with the Zero-stop adjusted all the way down, I"m hitting 7" high @ 100yd., 11" high @ 200yd!
What the heck?
I just looked at the Talley websight, they don't sell any +/degree (or whatever you super-long shooters call it when there's cant built into the bases to get "out there") bases for this gun, so I don't think it's that...
Probably call Talley in the am to verify I can't have the wrong bases.
Any idea's from the collective mind?
Thank you in advance...
I am not familiar with Talley bases, but if they're designed for long range, I'd try swapping the bases front to back. That should give you some room in elevation adjustment.

Mounted a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 (bought from buddy) on an older Kimber 8400 .338 WinMag with Talley one piece mounts.
Sighting in today, with the Zero-stop adjusted all the way down, I"m hitting 7" high @ 100yd., 11" high @ 200yd!
What the heck?
I just looked at the Talley websight, they don't sell any +/degree (or whatever you super-long shooters call it when there's cant built into the bases to get "out there") bases for this gun, so I don't think it's that...
Probably call Talley in the am to verify I can't have the wrong bases.
Any idea's from the collective mind?
Thank you in advance...
Curious
Did you get the issue fixed? And what was the issue and fix?
Thanks

Curious
Did you get the issue fixed? And what was the issue and fix?
Thanks
#%**$#@*&*%#...
Just as soon as I'm certain "I did it right", I find I did it wrong!
After loosening the four tiny allen screws, I was turning the top half of the zero-stop clockwise (down) until it hit bottom. I just realized that I needed to turn it counter-clockwise (up) so that I could lock it in place, then I'd have more down travel.
Counter-intuitive always gets me.
Thanks for the help guys, you inspired me to dig into it again!

He resolved the problem