Scope mount issue, shoots too high...

McCrackin

Mounted a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 (bought from buddy) on an older Kimber 8400 .338 WinMag with Talley one piece mounts.
Sighting in today, with the Zero-stop adjusted all the way down, I"m hitting 7" high @ 100yd., 11" high @ 200yd!
What the heck?
I just looked at the Talley websight, they don't sell any +/degree (or whatever you super-long shooters call it when there's cant built into the bases to get "out there") bases for this gun, so I don't think it's that...
Probably call Talley in the am to verify I can't have the wrong bases.
Any idea's from the collective mind?
Thank you in advance...

Mounted a Nightforce NXS 5.5-22 x 56 (bought from buddy) on an older Kimber 8400 .338 WinMag with Talley one piece mounts.
Sighting in today, with the Zero-stop adjusted all the way down, I"m hitting 7" high @ 100yd., 11" high @ 200yd!
What the heck?
I just looked at the Talley websight, they don't sell any +/degree (or whatever you super-long shooters call it when there's cant built into the bases to get "out there") bases for this gun, so I don't think it's that...
Probably call Talley in the am to verify I can't have the wrong bases.
Any idea's from the collective mind?
Thank you in advance...
My father in law worked at Bass Pro in the Firearms dept for many years. Every now and then a customer would bring his rifle back in because he was shooting way high and could not turn the scope down. Now the scope was mounted by a Bass Pro employee. When my father in law looked at the scope he found that the other employee put the scope mounts backwards. I have seen Canted 20MOA rails put on backwards.

I think it's the the zero stop . you said you turned the zero stop all the way down , that enables the zero stop . you want to remove the turret cap . loosen the 4 allen screws about 2 full turns . raise the upper zero stop clutch until it's about flush with the center brass bolt . snug the 4 allen screws . put the turret cap back on . sight the gun in . after you're sighted in , then turn the upper zero stop clutch down to make contact .

I think it's the the zero stop . you said you turned the zero stop all the way down , that enables the zero stop . you want to remove the turret cap . loosen the 4 allen screws about 2 full turns . raise the upper zero stop clutch until it's about flush with the center brass bolt . snug the 4 allen screws . put the turret cap back on . sight the gun in . after you're sighted in , then turn the upper zero stop clutch down to make contact .
You are correct, but I've already tried that, twice... That is what has me perplexed!
Who know's, maybe I'm 'fn doing it wrong. I did watch three videos on it to make sure I was remembering the process correctly... :(

#%**$#@*&*%#...
Just as soon as I'm certain "I did it right", I find I did it wrong!
After loosening the four tiny allen screws, I was turning the top half of the zero-stop clockwise (down) until it hit bottom. I just realized that I needed to turn it counter-clockwise (up) so that I could lock it in place, then I'd have more down travel.
Counter-intuitive always gets me.
Thanks for the help guys, you inspired me to dig into it again!

I had that problem on an AR-15 with fixed carry handle when mounting a scope for load development. I just put a small piece of angled wood under the rear of the carry handle mount and BINGO!

As a side note there is a guy in Washington who can mill the Talley ultralights to give 20 moa elevation. Don't have his name handy but someone at Talley have me his name last year and I had him do a set for me.