Time for a custom. I have many ??

grit

Been shootin' long for a couple years now. Up to this point I've been pretty conservative with my rifles. 243, 270, &300win mag. The rifles are factory rigs with aftermarket stocks, bedded actions and tuned triggers. All done by me.

I'll start with caliber selection. I've run a couple searches, and spent some time browsing old threads and archives. I need an overview of what some of the different calibers can do. Some of the calibers that've caught my intererest are: 270am, 7mmam, 7stw,7rum also the 338's edge, thunder, ultra...

I'd appreciate info on these calibers. Links, load data... I'd also like an overview of what it takes to load some of these wildcats.

I'm looking for the next step in long range performance.

Of the ones you listed I'd go with the 7mm AM. I shoot a very nice 270 AM (I already had an action that would work) but I think the 284 cal is just enough larger to make a difference in bullet performance not to mention the use of Lapua brass.

Having said that I think I'm headed for a 338 something for the larger of the big game @ LR.

GG,
Hunting! Needs to be elk capable. And comfortable to carry. My 300win is a Rem Sendero in Joel Russos "new" A5 type stock, and a DE brake, with a leupy 6.5-20. I haven't weighed it, but this is right on the edge of more weight than I want to pack. I want a versatile package, not a rifle I need a backpack to carry. I just find the rifle on my shoulder when it should be in my hands.

I'm thinking I could get more performance in this weight class. Carbon wrapped barrel, synthetic stock, more efficient cartridge, higher bc bullets, better accuracy...

There's a pic of Kirbys 7am on here somewhere. Olive colored manners tactical thumbhole stock, matte black barrel. Your thunder is a fine lookin' rig too.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

Last edited:
Roy,
Thanks for the input. How's the 270 treating you? Shooting the wildcats? The 7's have got my attention too. And, I don't own a .284 of any kind yet. Then again, the stories these fellas put up about the .338's...

I've searched around for info on Kirbys stuff. I know it's on here. Do you know where I can find good info. I emailed Kirby. I'm sure I'll hear from him. But, in the mean time...

When I was researching my first custom rifle I was looking for something very much like you descibed. I had used a 300 weatherby mag vanguard factory rifle out to ranges around 500 yards and wanted the next step.

Considering I would be using it to take down 600 lb deer, all the elk rifles were considered with 500-1000 yards being its main field of fire considered. I ended up settling on the 338 edge by Defensive edge setup in a fairly light packable package sub 12 lbs. Enough weight to be shootable, but light enough to pack in just about anywhere. I felt it would be a good balance to be an excellent sit and snipe rifle. Like most it will shoot a proven 300 smk load and the rifle can dial to 2000 yards with the 22 x NXS NIGHTFORCE scope. Planning on also using the lighter 250 rbbt wildcat when they hit the market.

The thing that I liked was the calibre had proven itself and I spoke to lots of satisfied owners. It also ended up coming in well within my budget, when some other couldn't.

You have plenty to choose from, this is just how I selected one ?

Good luck

Down Under,
Sounds like a great rig! How 'bout a pic? Also, What's your load, barrel length, and mv? What's it take to make the cases? And, what'm I looking at for a guestimated cost?

Thanks!

GG,
Hunting! Needs to be elk capable. And comfortable to carry. My 300win is a Rem Sendero in Joel Russos "new" A5 type stock, and a DE brake, with a leupy 6.5-20. I haven't weighed it, but this is right on the edge of more weight than I want to pack. I want a versatile package, not a rifle I need a backpack to carry. I just find the rifle on my shoulder when it should be in my hands.

I'm thinking I could get more performance in this weight class. Carbon wrapped barrel, synthetic stock, more efficient cartridge, higher bc bullets, better accuracy...

There's a pic of Kirbys 7am on here somewhere. Olive colored manners tactical thumbhole stock, matte black barrel. Your thunder is a fine lookin' rig too.

Looking forward to your suggestions.

While I love my thunder, it is a bit heavy for really going back in far and steep. It weighs 11 pounds with bipod and sling.

I know where you hunt and believe me, every ounce counts in that country once you get off your horse.

When I go to Alaska to get my Dall, I will build the following:

Custom long action hollowed out and bolt fluted for weight removal. Kirby's new one looks nice or maybe a Predator.
Jewell trigger
Mcmillan extra-lite stock in BDL shape or possibly the HTG
#6 or #5 contour Lilja or Kreiger SS barrel fluted (fluting done slowly and stress relieved afterwords)
Vais brake
Burris sig rings with inserts and Burris dd bases
Leupold 6.5-20x40 LR with elevation turret added (long range target or M1 version)

The gun with bipod should be about 9 pounds.

Caliber: 270 WSM necked up to 7mm throated for bullets in the 168 to 180 class. Flat shooting, hard hitting, decent barrel life, low recoil, very accurate.
Dall sheep would be in serious trouble out to about 1500 yards or so.

Down Under,
Sounds like a great rig! How 'bout a pic? Also, What's your load, barrel length, and mv? What's it take to make the cases? And, what'm I looking at for a guestimated cost?

Thanks!

Grit,

If you go into "gun pictures" under forums you will see the rifle with most of the specs. The only things missing out of the pics are the fluted bolt , anti cant device and ACI.

DUH

GG,
Sold. That sounds about perfect. Honestly, I think my friends an I have some sort of sickness. We think if we haven't ridden two hours and climbed for another two before sunup we aint hunting. Then, you have to glass the morning, hike down, ride two more hours, hike two more, hunt the evening, hike down, ride out, then start again at four the next morning. I can go into a weeks hunt in good shape and still lose ten pounds.

So, I appreciate you interpreting what I wrote correctly. My 300win is a huge step up in weight for me. I sure knew I was packin' it. And, like I said it hung on my shoulder more than it should have. Plus, it doesn't handle nice. I don't have a problem with static set ups, but I go through good country to get to mine. I'd prefer to be ready.

Gotta tell ya, I've wondered how you pack some of your rigs in some of the country you hunt.

Your rifle sounds great! As you described it, (minus bolt fluting and action hollowing maybe) estimate a cost for me. Maybe we could split some costs (reamer? I'm ignorant about smithing).

Explain your thinking about the case design. Why a 270wsm necked up to .284? Give me some performance figures. How would you make the cases, and size them?

Last edited:
GG,
Sold. That sounds about perfect. Honestly, I think my friends an I have some sort of sickness. We think if we haven't ridden two hours and climbed for another two before sunup we aint hunting. Then, you have to glass the morning, hike down, ride two more hours, hike two more, hunt the evening, hike down, ride out, then start again at four the next morning. I can go into a weeks hunt in good shape and still lose ten pounds.

So, I appreciate you interpreting what I wrote correctly. My 300win is a huge step up in weight for me. I sure knew I was packin' it. And, like I said it hung on my shoulder more than it should have. Plus, it doesn't handle nice. I don't have a problem with static set ups, but I go through good country to get to mine. I'd prefer to be ready.

Gotta tell ya, I've wondered how you pack some of your rigs in some of the country you hunt.

Your rifle sounds great! As you described it, (minus bolt fluting and action hollowing maybe) estimate a cost for me. Maybe we could split some costs (reamer? I'm ignorant about smithing).

Explain your thinking about the case design. Why a 270wsm necked up to .284? Give me some performance figures. How would you make the cases, and size them?

Estimated cost: $2500-3000

Kirby already has that reamer.

The standard 7mm WSM has a longer body and shorter neck than a 270 or 300 WSM and I don't like that. I'd rather have a longer neck like a 6ppc, 6br,220 swift, 270 etc.

So you take 270 WSM Norma brass, run it through a 7mm expander ball and presto, you have a 7mm-270wsm. A true wildcat and much less boring than a straight 7WSM.

It will push 180 grain bullets around 2800 fps and 168's at around 3000. A Berger 168 VLD at 3000 has some darn good downrange performance! ANd it only burns around 65 grains of powder. That's the best part.

Grit,

Im catchin' on to how you hunt. I did about the same thing this year w/buffalobob. I walked through some very good places on the way to a couple of outstanding "hides". The 270 AM @ 12# plus w/bipod would have been a pain with out the ancient dozer/logging roads to hike. I would hike for an hour and only be 700 yds or so across the canyon......

After 3 weeks of this, the 10# 338 Rum was a piece of cake to carry anywhere, up, down and around the mountains.

I'd say the heavy AMs are optimum stationary items and some are at the 15# Idaho limit. That's too much to carry at the ready, at least by this old man.;)

After the hunt I built my own back pack to pack the rifle and other necessary stuff for a couple of hours walk to "the spot" then stay all day and walk back in the dark. But the rifle isn't at the ready. (There were woofs and bear there too.)

For the shorter walks up and back in the morning and then again in the evening I just leave every thing up there including the rifle and optics. The whole 9 yards. In fact I left the stuff up there for a couple of weeks, I guess, only bringing it down when trips to town left the camp unsupervised.

GG's recommendation of the 7-270WSM seems like a good one. If you flute a Lilja #4 it should come out quite light, if a #4 can be fluted. I have a 27" #4 on a 270 Win w/a heavy thumbhole stock and she's on the upper end of fun packin. Probably around 10#. Fluted and shorter would be better. Plus a lighter stock would be in order.

If you can get the 168 gr berger going 3000 with it that's only a few hundred fps down from the 270AM w/169s. GG's into case efficiency and I'm not. 40 more grains of powder is just cool.;) I like to see that sage brush and grass bend over for about 20' on both sides when she cuts loose.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.