I have a Accustock question.

BigMedicine

My buddie recently bought a Savage bear Hunter in 338 win mag, and I bought one in 300 win mag. Took them out last Friday after breaking them in a few days before, and sighted them in. So my buddie asked me to shoot the 338 for him, I agreed and so we started. The 338 would not group with any consistency, 2.5 " group at 100 yards at best, but there was no rhyme or reason to the pattern it was printing.
I had bought a total of three rifles with me along with my muzzle loader so that I could rotate guns every three rounds and avoid over heating them. After shooting 30 rounds through his gun, I said we are just wasting ammo. The ammo he had me shooting was 200 grain Hornady Superformance, supposed to be good ammo, would not group. I shot my 300 and it was shooting right around 0.5" . Needless to say I was delighted, I also sighted in my Kimber in 308 and that shot lights out.

So I took his gun home with me to see if I could figure out what the heck is going on with this thing. What I found was the action when torqued to 40 inch pounds does not come in contact with the accustock bedding block, nor would it at 50 inch pounds. I put a super thin coat of gun grease on the bedding block where the action should be resting to see if the grease would transfer and it did not.

So here is my question, how do I get the action to make contact with the bedding block without bedding the accustock. I used a feeler gage and determined the gap between the action and bed to be .008 of an inch ...any help is greatly appreciated.

The only way to determine where to start to fix this problem is to find where it IS touching the stock.
You can use candle soot, crushed charcoal and other substances, but, I use Prussian Blue dye. Place it on the entire underside of the action, drop it in and torque the screws.
Remove the action straight up and check the contact points in the stock. This will tell you where the action is binding or snug.
I would guess that some relieving will be in order somewhere along the inletting.
I skim bed all rifles with bedding blocks, seen too many with minimal contact for my liking.

Cheers.
gun)

Does this accustock have the V-wedge on the recoil lug? I'm assuming not and a thought I have is maybe the recoil lug is bottoming out before the action is, I've never heard of this but not sure how else the action wouldn't seat on the block. The accustock recoil lug is quite short for this reason. Also the rear safety tang should be free floated, couple things to check.

The only way to determine where to start to fix this problem is to find where it IS touching the stock.
You can use candle soot, crushed charcoal and other substances, but, I use Prussian Blue dye. Place it on the entire underside of the action, drop it in and torque the screws.
Remove the action straight up and check the contact points in the stock. This will tell you where the action is binding or snug.
I would guess that some relieving will be in order somewhere along the inletting.
I skim bed all rifles with bedding blocks, seen too many with minimal contact for my liking.

Cheers.
gun)
I can see where the accustock is gripping the action by the witness marks left behind from the aluminum leaving a heavy line (about 75%) across both sides of the entire receiver. Should I remove some of the aluminum?

Does this accustock have the V-wedge on the recoil lug? I'm assuming not and a thought I have is maybe the recoil lug is bottoming out before the action is, I've never heard of this but not sure how else the action wouldn't seat on the block. The accustock recoil lug is quite short for this reason. Also the rear safety tang should be free floated, couple things to check.
It has the recoil lug, I checked the lug to see if it had bottomed out and it had not, but I will double check it when I get home from work just to be sure. The rear tang is free floated I checked that about a half dozen times. I am thinking I will take my 300 win mag apart and compare the two stocks side by side since they are exactly the same stock. I did do an external comparison last night between the two stocks and found that my action was flush level with the stock at loading port, whereas his rifle is slightly elevated. I think I probably need to remove a little of the aluminum from the side walls of the accustock to get the action to set on the bedding block.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.