I have a question....

Overkill338

I had no idea what category this would go in.

Anyway, is the virgin .375 Ruger brass (no head stamp and way too long I think) long enough to make a .30 to fit the 3.6" COAL ??

My main question is, could a .300 Roy, be reamed out to take the .300 RUM ?

Since I'm getting a .300 Weatherby, I figured I would ask about. Would it be worth the effort since the 300 RUM is stronger?

Hornady used to make the stuff under p/n 8674; they called it Basic brass. It's been discontinued for almost three years by now. You might look for something made by Quality Cartridge. I used-up a ton of the Basic brass for my two Magnum mildcats. My heart was irreparably broken when Hornady quit making the stuff. The headstamped .375 Ruger can be formed-down to work, but the headstamp kind o' "takes the shine off" the finished product.

You may be able to re-chamber a .300Wby to .300RUM by setting the barrel shoulder back to compensate for the difference in the lengths of the cases. The Wby has a diameter of 0.513" at the base datum; the RUM has an "I measured it" diameter of .545" at the base datum. You'll see the diameter listed as .550 inches, but that's wrong.

The center and right rounds in the attached image are formed on the Hornady .375 Ruger Basic brass. The .300 Nevada Desert Magnum is basically a ".30-06 Springfield Magnum." Case capacity is 85.0 grains of water. The .358 Sierra Stomper is basically a ".35 Whelen Magnum." Case capacity is 89.0 grains of water.

The Stomper is a sledgehammer. A 250-grain bullet at 2715 fps produces 4092 foot-pounds of muzzle energy. A charge of 62.0 grains of IMR-4320 is how it's done. That same bullet at 2624 fps will retain 2300 foot-pounds of energy at 300 yards and still be moving along at 2035 fps. The big elk are nervous...

Attachments

• drei-mildcats.JPG
    drei-mildcats.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
How the .358 is formed. Custom-made dies by Hornady to form and to reload. Also had neck-only dies and Factory Crimp Dies, both made by Lee Precision.

Attachments

• sizin-steps per il Stomper du Sierra.JPG
    sizin-steps per il Stomper du Sierra.JPG
    576.8 KB · Views: 156
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.