How many shots can I take until I have to cool my barrell?

I have a sporter contour on my .338 RUM and I let it cool 15 min between shots. I can do two back to back from a dead cold. FENIX has it right!

I use a infrared thermometer to watch the temp of my barrel when I work up different loads after three to five shots I let it cool down. I like the idea of a fan blowing thru the inside of the barrel I will have to figure out how to make something like that, maybe with a old computer fan. Might cut some of the waiting cool down time.

When shooting groups or doing load development, I usually fire a fouler and wait 3-5 minutes between shots. This not only saves the throat, but gives you the most consistency for load testing. On the other hand, it is good to fire a rapid string on occasion so that you know where your shots will hit on a hot vs. cold barrel...

I use CO2. You must get a regulator with high flow and use a tank of at least 20 lbs. I can work up a load in 30 minutes. After two shots with my 300 RUM I can have it back to ambient in 20 seconds.
PIcsofournew257weatherbychamberedri.jpg

I use CO2. You must get a regulator with high flow and use a tank of at least 20 lbs. I can work up a load in 30 minutes. After two shots with my 300 RUM I can have it back to ambient in 20 seconds.
PIcsofournew257weatherbychamberedri.jpg

Thats fantastic...does your barrel develop any condensation from the CO2? Can you describe for us all parts needed to make this contraption?

Thanks!

-Fred

No condensation. Pushing pure co2 no water vapor inside. I suppose if you kept up the cooling till it got really cold the outside could condense some moisture. Of course it helps to live in Az where our humidity is usually quite low.

To make this setup you need a regulator and a source for CO2. Once I bought my two tanks I exchange them for filled ones with the supplier. If there is no supplier in your city forget it. Cost is around $23 per tank. Each tank lasts several load development sessions. As for the regulator, I think you could take the bushing or whatever metal restrictor is inside and drill it out. I was lucky enough to have the supplier work with me to find a high flow regulator. All we did is hook up a hose that is approx 3/8" OD to the threaded part of regulator. I tapered the end of the hose so it would fit into the chambers. To make the CO2 last I feel the flow coming out of the barrel and try not to get it flowing to quickly, just enough to get things cooled down. I stop when I feel the cooling effects begin as the insides are coolest and need to radiate outwards.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts