Thermal scope/scanner

If I'm out calling I run a light until I pick up eyes then go to thermal scope. I hunt a lot of tight country and it is impossible to scan fast enough with thermal to catch every animal sneaking in due to reduced FOV.
I actually scan more in the day time that I do night.
I have also found that scanning with binoculars (I use N Vision Atlas 50) at night doesn't give you the blindness in one eye. I run the HALO LR, NOX 35 and Pulsar Thermion XP50 for scopes.

We started out with red lights used wicked lights. Since then Pa has approved thermal and nv I have nv scope with it illuminator my buddy has nv with illuminator also he bought thermal for scanning. When with my kids or alone I have been scanning with red then switch to nv when eyes are detected works ok but my buddy does not want to use lights. That is why I am looking for thermal for scanning. My thought was when my son goes with us if I bought a clip on thermal he could clip on his gun after scanning and shoot or I could just give him my gun to shoot. It has been a big learning curve going to nv it is no longer fun for people like our kids to tag along if they are sitting in the dark. With lights everyone could see what was going on and it was fun for all.

personally like using a good light handheld Thermal for detection and then using NV to determine exactly what the Thermal picked up.
There is an option for the windy helmet that allows for a pvs14 and a flir breach to be mounted. Independently operational flip up. So you can run a thermal on the left eye, or a NV on the right eye, or both at the same time if you really want to exercise your operational abilities.
Couple this with a Dbal on a rifle rail utilizing the IR laser, and death can be administered from……….
This is gettin me excited.

Flintlock I like your points that you posted.
I personally like using a good light handheld Thermal for detection and then using NV to determine exactly what the Thermal picked up. I would never suggest using just NV without Thermal. You can miss an animal scanning with NV especially if it is in cover or not moving. Thermal by far is best for scanning/detection. After something is detected, I like to use NV and if needed IR. I can then tell exactly what the heat source is. I can tell the difference between a Coyote, Fox, Dog or Racoon, Armadillo, Possum. If looking at hogs I can tell the different color patterns and a hybrid or razor back. #4 point.
For me I like both Thermal & NV and then a regular scope for day time.
I have not used some of the newer Thermal scopes with price ranges getting close to $10k. I hear that the definition is pretty darn good can take videos and also be used daytime.
Getting to you Point #1, you get what you pay for. This directly correlates with the quality of how you see things in the DARK!
I think this about sums it up. A quality NV unit on the gun is tough to beat for target ID and safety (backdrop) reasons. But you want a thermal scanner for the reasons stated.
I've seen a lot of predators killed with just a thermal scope on the gun, but it's exhausting, very inefficient, and creates a ton of movement. You're also stuck with running it off a tripod while standing, especially if your gun is suppressed.
That said, if you're hunting open country and typically have a good idea where critters are coming from, it will work. Just know you'll have no idea if the coyote-shaped heat signature you drop the hammer on is really a coyote, or possibly the local farm dog out for a run.

If I had to choose only one, it would be thermal every time. I use the breach in daylight as much as I do at night. Mammals CANNOT hide from a quality thermal device.

So then let's apply the KISS principle here. Best NV scope and best thermal scanner? Best value NV scope and best value thermal scanner. F sakes.

Thermal hand scanner. Light mounted rifle will get you the best miles for your money. May seem archaic but scanning with a rifle mounted thermal is exhausting.
Like using your riflescope for scanning and not binos or a spotting scope

Thermal hand scanner. Light mounted rifle will get you the best miles for your money. May seem archaic but scanning with a rifle mounted thermal is exhausting.
Like using your riflescope for scanning and not binos or a spotting scope

Full disclosure: I have never used a cheap thermal. I got one of the first IR Hunter MK II's that came out. IR Defense released the MK III about a year later and took my MK II back and upgraded it to a MK III. My scanner is also a 640x480. I have hunted while is was snowing and still killed coyotes. I hunt in wide open country and IMHO $7500 is where you need to start looking at Thermals. I'm not saying lesser $$$ Thermals don't work, but there is a significant difference in image quality.

Full disclosure: I have never used a cheap thermal. I got one of the first IR Hunter MK II's that came out. IR Defense released the MK III about a year later and took my MK II back and upgraded it to a MK III. My scanner is also a 640x480. I have hunted while is was snowing and still killed coyotes. I hunt in wide open country and IMHO $7500 is where you need to start looking at Thermals. I'm not saying lesser $$$ Thermals don't work, but there is a significant difference in image quality.
Ain't that the truth. Night hunting for Coyotes and Hogs is unbelievable addicting & exciting especially Coyotes if you have the correct equipment. It is also a very expensive sport. It is also frustrating if you have low quality thermal/NV, it could ruin a good hunt. We all heard the saying "Buy Once - Cry Once". Quite a few years ago I started with lights, scope mount Red lights, then went to Laser (which didn't work when cold). Then had a Thermal Camera from work $12,500 that I borrowed for detection (got HOOKED) and had to get a NV Scope for my rifle. Couldn't use the company camera anymore so I started to buy FLIR hand helds. Then about five years ago upgraded again so have over $9K between the Thermal & NV.
You don't have to spend a small fortune for night hunting, but I suggest that you TRY to get the best instead of upgrading every other year. Also don't buy all this expensive equipment unless you intend to do a lot of night hunting.
Look for used equipment where someone wanted to night hunt, but found out they didn't have the time or hunting areas to use the equipment.

I hunt in wide open country and IMHO $7500 is where you need to start looking at Thermals.
I could be wrong. I have been once or twice in the past.
But what I'm seeing is 7500$ thermal technology 5 years ago is costing 4000$ today. I tried out a friggin bushnell this week that surprised me in a major way. I believe it was a BTS50. Even out to 400 yards it REALLY impressed me. And dealer cost is about 2500$.
Surprised me to the point that I'm considering selling one of my pulars that cost 5500$ 3 years ago and replace it with this bushnell.

I think this about sums it up. A quality NV unit on the gun is tough to beat for target ID and safety (backdrop) reasons. But you want a thermal scanner for the reasons stated.
I've seen a lot of predators killed with just a thermal scope on the gun, but it's exhausting, very inefficient, and creates a ton of movement. You're also stuck with running it off a tripod while standing, especially if your gun is suppressed.
That said, if you're hunting open country and typically have a good idea where critters are coming from, it will work. Just know you'll have no idea if the coyote-shaped heat signature you drop the hammer on is really a coyote, or possibly the local farm dog out for a run.
OUCH that hurts,,ask a few that know alittle about me...

I use a handheld thermal scanner and either a NV or thermal scope for shooting. I have both. Handheld is much easier to use for locating. If you can't afford both get a scope that has a good quick attach mount. There are a couple that will hold dead nuts zero. My AGM scope came with such mount

1FA6C6E6-EC07-4404-AEC1-BECAA3424E0F.jpeg86637A20-3F56-4E06-9D35-6E0DCF14B631.jpeg