Thermal scanners

serorem

I'm looking to purchase a thermal scanner. I'm new to thermal optics but have done some research. I'm looking to stay in the sub $2k range. Mainly will be used for scanning fields for deer, elk… as I walk to my stands in the dark. Would like something that can spot 500yds or more with accuracy and something that I can certainly tell the difference between and elk and deer within a few hundred yards. There are quite a few brands/models in that price range, just wondering what everyone recommends. Thanks for any info!

Several AGM Tiapan models fall within your budget and IMO have been the leader for a number years. I would go for the highest resolution models with zoom… to not only maximize your detection range, but the identification range as well. Since you have zero depth of field, it may appear you are looking at two animals that are the same size and next each other when actually you are looking at a yearling at 100yds and a mature animal at 300.

Elk and deer antlers are clearly visible while while in velvet, they glow brightly. However, after they go to hard horn they all look like does.

Im using the 640 res Pulsar XG 35 which is a little over your budget. I've not checked it on elk but it's easy to discern cattle at extremely long ranges. But coyotes and fawns can be hard to distinguish at relatively short distances. Pixel count is more important than optical zoom…384 is the minimum.

Over the past two years I've carried it on 7 late summer Deer Night Surveys. On multiple occasions I was able to determine the sex of whitetails out to 300yds in brush when white spot light operators were unable to tell.

Several AGM Tiapan models fall within your budget and IMO have been the leader for a number years. I would go for the highest resolution models with zoom… to not only maximize your detection range, but the identification range as well. Since you have zero depth of field, it may appear you are looking at two animals that are the same size and next each other when actually you are looking at a yearling at 100yds and a mature animal at 300.

Elk and deer antlers are clearly visible while while in velvet, they glow brightly. However, after they go to hard horn they all look like does.

Im using the 640 res Pulsar XG 35 which is a little over your budget. I've not checked it on elk but it's easy to discern cattle at extremely long ranges. But coyotes and fawns can be hard to distinguish at relatively short distances. Pixel count is more important than optical zoom…384 is the minimum.

Over the past two years I've carried it on 7 late summer Deer Night Surveys. On multiple occasions I was able to determine the sex of whitetails out to 300yds in brush when white spot light operators were unable to tell.
Great info! Thanks

Over $2k but under $3k, ATN Binox are a deal. Built in LRF with 1.25x optical zoom. I like the binocular format at lot more than a single monocle personally. Pulsar has released one also, so hopefully we start seeing more options like them.

My experience with ATN LRFs has been positive, if you consider the cost of getting a standalone LRF then the thermal part is kind of under your budget 😬

I really don't need the LRF. It probably would be nice but not needed. Just looking for something to scan with. Just need something that will allow me to tell the difference between deer and elk within a few hundred yards.