Thermal scope/scanner

Trapperuss

For anyone running thermals do you have scopes and hand scanners or are you using clip on scope to scan with then clip on and shoot? This would be for predator hunting currently have night vision but needing something to scan with hate to spend money on just a monocular if I could get a scope to scan with and possibly also use to shoot with.

Following.

The Leica Calonox seems like it would be a sweet setup but it should be at $4000, wow.

Scanning with the rifle sucks. And I couldn't imagine trying to attach the thermal to the rifle in the dark. Especially if you are calling.

I would buy both. Or a thermal scanner and weapon mounted light.

Went through the same questions. Rabbit hole is as bad as reloading. I started with a single setup, halo lr on a 6.8 spc, definitely gets heavy scanning with that setup. I added a bering hogster 35mm. Use a lanyard around my neck. Also added a lighter weight 300 Bo and have an extra setup the hogster can attach to when someone wants to join me. May add NV. Where I hunt at night long range detection is key, then I get downwind and move in. Having the thermal in hand to scan definitely works better with coyote calling, missed opportunities on quite a few without the hand scanner.

Wouldn't a QD mounted thermal scope on a picatinny rail give the best of both worlds? As long as you return it to same spot on the rail after scanning?

In the dark how easy is it to return it to the same spot every time? Even with a scanner sometimes coyotes get in close from a low spot or around a hill. I know for a fact I would miss out on multiple coyotes if I had to mount the weapon sight before I could shoot.

Also a good scanner might not make a good weapon sight for coyotes. If you hunt open country you want a big FOV to scan with and a decent native mag on the weapon sight. Those don't usually go together in one optic.

Count the spaces with your fingers on the rail, or use a head mounted red light.

Thats a good point on the FOV.
Have you personally done it that way?

I think for calling in coyotes you are going to miss out on a lot of opportunities trying to mount your thermal while they are coming in.

I never have tried it though so I could be totally wrong.

Have you personally done it that way?

I think for calling in coyotes you are going to miss out on a lot of opportunities trying to mount your thermal while they are coming in.

I never have tried it though so I could be totally wrong.
I've finagled a ton of stuff over the years, but the FOV of a scanner makes the QD method a moot point.

I don't hunt wide open spaces I am in pa I was wondering how it would be to mount it on dark while they are coming probably fill or cover a bunch of the slots so it would only mount one way

For anyone running thermals do you have scopes and hand scanners or are you using clip on scope to scan with then clip on and shoot? This would be for predator hunting currently have night vision but needing something to scan with hate to spend money on just a monocular if I could get a scope to scan with and possibly also use to shoot with.
FLIR Scout III 640 hand held for scanning and detection and a Scope - Night Vision D-760 Gen 3, Autogated, Manual Gain, IR Light, QD for night hunting.

Wouldn't a QD mounted thermal scope on a picatinny rail give the best of both worlds? As long as you return it to same spot on the rail after scanning?
Couple of things to plan for:
How are you going to carry thermal in the dark while moving around? They are much heavier than hand held units to absorb recoil.
How are you going to carry rifle?
How are you going to mount thermal in the dark when coyotes are coming in fast or hogs are moving erratically?

Hear manipulation in absolute dark is not as easy as you think.

Couple of things to plan for:
How are you going to carry thermal in the dark while moving around? They are much heavier than hand held units to absorb recoil.
How are you going to carry rifle?
How are you going to mount thermal in the dark when coyotes are coming in fast or hogs are moving erratically?

Hear manipulation in absolute dark is not as easy as you think.
This is why I ask questions! Very good points, and I am sure Murphy is right there with you too! Ready to screw everything up!