Sighting in a thermal scope

I used to hunt near the lake in Indiantown Florida over 21 years ago. Hogs were everywhere.
Yeah the few times that I go south and I have to get on the turnpike you'll see where the pigs tear up the shoulders. And especially now in the wet areas the pigs are going to really show themselves. It's dry here and we haven't had rain so the pigs will go into those moist areas to root around and to cool off. So yeah most any swampy area you'll find pigs, water moccasins, pythons, tegus, and mosquitoes it's a target-rich environment. You'll kill more mosquitoes than anything

Trouble with a water bottle is if you hit it once, it's done. A piece of aluminum foil is the ticket. Can punch holes in it and shoot it as many times as you want. Tape the aluminum foil to cardboard and if you aren't hitting the aluminum foil, at least you can see what correction you need to make.

Trouble with a water bottle is if you hit it once, it's done. A piece of aluminum foil is the ticket. Can punch holes in it and shoot it as many times as you want. Tape the aluminum foil to cardboard and if you aren't hitting the aluminum foil, at least you can see what correction you need to make.
And if you use the fasson tape or aluminum foil tape, you just tear off a tiny piece and cover the hole and keep going!

IMG_4981.jpeg

I have used frozen water bottles or Ice cubes in a ziplock when outside, but, the easiest one I have used at an indoor range is as follows.

Cut a horizontal slit in the center of your target. Fold a wet-wipe in half and feed it through the slit. Send target down range.

The cooling from the evaporation on the wet wipe is enough to create the heat difference needed.

Sounds iffy, but it works great. Very clear target.

Mine do. I am trying to decide now on changing out stocks on one of my other bolt guns to put it in front of another scope That scope I'm not sure if it'll line up yet. But on my AR it lines up great. Since you've already got the rail you might as well slap it on there and find out might save a whole lot of headache each time you want to put it on different guns
Here's what my concern was, on the Sage it collimates fine, on the GAP, she's a bit higher than center, do not want to swap rings and change that setup, will take out when not raining and check through the scopes, with the 27 works fine on either, thanks

Attachments

• 65A14EA3-4186-4017-82F3-C40D79CBED2B.jpeg
    65A14EA3-4186-4017-82F3-C40D79CBED2B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 36
  • A9E87E12-1267-4829-950C-06F1D46FFDE4.jpeg
    A9E87E12-1267-4829-950C-06F1D46FFDE4.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 36
Here's what my concern was, on the Sage it collimates fine, on the GAP, she's a bit higher than center, do not want to swap rings and change that setup, will take out when not raining and check through the scopes, with the 27 works fine on either, thanks
Yes it looks like it's going to line up for one but not the other. And that's just what works for me. The other option may work out better by removing your scopes and going in with the thermal

Yes it looks like it's going to line up for one but not the other. And that's just what works for me. The other option may work out better by removing your scopes and going in with the thermal
Yeah, sight in on one, swap to other and see if same impact, doubtful, but never know 18" vs 20" barrels, worth a shot. Or sight on the one that doesn't collimate and use in front of other without crosshairs, options are good
Thanks again

Curious, just purchased a thermal scope for upcoming hog hunts, how does one sight it in? Paper target I dont think will work, seen where hand warmers are used, gonna be at indoor range, 25 yds how accurate is that method? Any other tricks/ options
Thanks
I use hand warms or tin foil tape. I like the tape the best.