Thermal scope/scanner

D124B6CC-5042-4B81-89A0-3770F4EA641B.jpeg

For anyone running thermals do you have scopes and hand scanners or are you using clip on scope to scan with then clip on and shoot? This would be for predator hunting currently have night vision but needing something to scan with hate to spend money on just a monocular if I could get a scope to scan with and possibly also use to shoot with.
Suggest a weapon pic rail mounted thermal in front of day scope. Rifle/scope rig remains unchanged for traditional day or night thermal application. To beat the scope scan fatigue dilemma, recommend attaching a scope ocular mounted SPOT SHOT – WIFI SPOTTING SCOPE CAMERA SME-SCPCAM $119.99[ (bought $69.95 at Buckyees while passing through TX) Shooting Made Easy offers a Universal Wifi Spotting Scope Camera. Universally mounts to a variety of scopes and features live steaming HD vide to your phone or tablet I hide the screen glare with a modified gaming viewing head gear fitted with plastic sheeting to the tablet. Another model incorporates a small 2.4" screen on the back of the Spot Shot. Too small for my preferences. There are other quality options, such as Long Shot's Hawk Wifi scope adapter......at 2x cost. Scan while viewing with two eyes on your phone/tablet. Once target is spotted, merely lift the Spot Shot off your scope and use the rifle as normal with thermal mounted. The Spot Shot is around 4"diameter for one needs enough clearance from the scope centerline to clear the unit. Very low mounted small objective scopes may be a problem. But, with a 50-56mm objective, I've never had a problem on Barrett REC7 DI, or bolt guns such as Barrett MRADs.. For me, it is the best of all options. Yeah, nothing is as fast as already being on your scope for those snap shots, but life is a trade off.

1641435843111.png

1641435796116.png

Attachments

• 1641435328265.png
    1641435328265.png
    1.4 KB · Views: 61
Full disclosure: I have never used a cheap thermal. I got one of the first IR Hunter MK II's that came out. IR Defense released the MK III about a year later and took my MK II back and upgraded it to a MK III. My scanner is also a 640x480. I have hunted while is was snowing and still killed coyotes. I hunt in wide open country and IMHO $7500 is where you need to start looking at Thermals. I'm not saying lesser $$$ Thermals don't work, but there is a significant difference in image quality.
Disagree. My first thermal was an MK3 60mm Trijicon. Picture wise it wasn't as good as a $3k scanner. My new weapon sight is about half the price of the Trij and has a better picture also.

A guy in ND killed over 300 coyotes in 4 months with a 384 weapon sight and a 640 scanner. About $6k total for both units.

For anyone running thermals do you have scopes and hand scanners or are you using clip on scope to scan with then clip on and shoot? This would be for predator hunting currently have night vision but needing something to scan with hate to spend money on just a monocular if I could get a scope to scan with and possibly also use to shoot with.
I wanted better image quality for the money, so I opted to buy a better thermal scope and leave it on my gun. I just put the rifle in the tripod and leave it there. Stand behind the rifle and walk around the tripod to scan. It works well. There is no way you will be able to scan and then put it on the bun to shoot. It's not at all uncommon to have a coyote show up 50 yds away that got in undetected.

This is why I ask questions! Very good points, and I am sure Murphy is right there with you too! Ready to screw everything up!
The Leica Calonox with adapter slides on in 2 seconds but thermal is like speed and speed cost money how fast do you want to go. If you are all ready running a thermal scope then Pulsar binos are wonderful AND have a rangefinder in them, if you are not familiar with surroundings then this is a big plus. i can't think of the sponsors name but look up the Nightcrew TV show they have a sponsor that rents Thermals which is a good way to figure out what you want. Good luck!

I don't hunt with it a lot, but I have a PVS4 NV with a Gen3 tube. It is big and heavy, but works great for blind/bait hunting and the like. I've done a little spot and stalk with it. It has a QD mount for both the PVS4 and a VX3, but I don't swap them on the same hunt.

A close friend uses a PVS14 on a helmet and a very nice thermal ($7500) mounted on a rifle along with a dbal.

The medium cost gear that I've seen recently is getting very affordable