Thermal Optics

Phillygunner

So, I want to know from the guys who have a broad based experience with thermal rifle scopes Primarily, and hand-held units secondarily, if there are any thermal optics that could be considered reliable and well-functioning with good clarity for less than the cost of a decent custom rifle. I've seen thermals that purport to do the job ranging in price from $1k to $16k.

What have you used successfully? What was the reliability, clarity and functionality like? What would you consider to be in the reasonable price range for a decent one that used sparingly for hunting? Give me your thoughts on what's out there and what your experiences with them have been.

I have a Armasight Zeus 640 3-24x75 that I paid $4500 at Optics Planet. I shoot coyote and jack rabbit out to 300 regularly with it. It takes a little practice to learn to identify with thermal. An antelope laying down, with just its head exposed at 400, can loo6 like a rabbit at 200. That being said, I would buy again.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.