The Edge reaches out in Wyoming

oneshot976

I just wanted to share with everyone my hunt in Wyoming with my Edge. Well let me just start by saying that no one will ever get my Edge until my son gets it when I am too old to carry it.

Anyway on with the details, I had spent a week seeing nice deer both whitetail and mulies but unable to get shots mostly due to my being picky and holding out for a "big boy". Well on the morning of my last day Tim our guide sent me to "My Ridge" a great vantage point the overlooked a creek bottom with some crop fields within walking distance of the house we were staying on the ranch. It was a very cold but very calm morning first calm day we had since the first morning, it was 15 degrees with no wind 45% humidity and I was at 3790 ft according to the Kestrel 4000. I had made up my mind that I would shoot a smaller buck if one gave me a shot. Well as you may expect several does but no bucks to be seem in the bottoms if you didn't see them shortly after shooting light they were not going to show.

At about 8:00am I watched Tim pull out in his truck and head out to pick up Harry, Adam and Jeff the rest of the crew. I was glassing the creek bottoms and checking all of the ridges that I could see for any antlers when I spotted a small whitetail buck just browsing around in a field a long way out. I grabbed my Swaro range finder and got 3 readings at 1401 yards and 1 at 1411 yards he was in a perfect line of site with 0 reading on the cosign. I had already entered all the details into my palm and took a look at the drop table at 1400 yards to see 40.25 MOA / 163 clicks and dialed it in (I only had maybe 6 or 8 clicks left in my scope, maybe time for a new base or a new scope, Shawn I am going to up my powder charge a bit as we discussed now that the season is over) I locked up on the rifle and placed the cross hairs on the shoulder of the buck and squeezed the trigger the Edge barked and I was able to recover from the recoil (thanks to the wonders of Shawn's brake) in time to see him hunch up and turn to head back were he had came from he only went about 30 yards and piled up. If you had been listening you may have heard me yell in Idaho. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I was one of the most exciting hunts that I have been on Shawn's Edge is one fine piece of craftsmanship.

Well Tim and the guys come driving through the field meeting me about half way back to the house and ask what I had shot. When I told them that I had shot a small whitetail buck and they asked where it was at when I pointed to the location they were almost as excited as I was. At that point Tim had to shoot my rifle he had been talking about shooting it all week and we had just not found the time. After the guide shot a couple of rounds through the Edge I took it back to the house and traded for my 700 Ti and we went to check out the buck (the guide had an F-350 extend cab not a crew and with 5 people in it I did not want to chance scuffing up the Edge and in hind site I wish I had taken it to get better pictures with my rifle and the deer) We drove right up to the deer and Adam got out of the truck and said "Well folks you saw it here first" and after a few high fives and holycraps from the guys we snapped a couple of pics of the small basket 8 point. I will tell you this though I could not have been any happier if it were a "Booner" like I said that was the most excited I have been on a hunt since my son shot his first deer. Tim and I went back to "my ridge" to snap another photo of the location I shot the deer from I think he was almost as happy as I was just to be a part of the hunt. He told his whole family about the shot and had his son come out to see the rifle.

I just wanted to share this with everyone and thank Shawn Carlock for a great rifle.

Shawn I have been watching the 338 AM unfold and it has my attention, but may be out of my league, I will be in touch.

Thanks again,

Mike

EdgeKill1.jpg

This is a shot of "My Ridge" as you can see it is a great morning Long Range vantage point! That is my guide Tim in the picture, he is a great guy.

EdgeKill.jpg

Looking back from the deer's point of view, as you can see he is not a "Monster Buck" but still a trophy to me.

Last edited:
Awesome! Way to go on a very long shot. That 338 Edge is very impressive. If I may ask, what bullet and load were you using? Also, where did you hit the buck and what kind of terminal performance did you get?
Thanks for sharing the story and pictures. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

JD338

Thanks JD338,
My load is 91 grains of H1000 and 300 grain Match King.

I hit him just behind the left shoulder on a quartering away position with no rib contact on entry. It was a pass through exiting just in front of the offside shoulder with a little rib contact on exit. I was hoping to hit the offside shoulder but it still worked quickly by passing throught the heart on the way.

Thanks,
Mike

That's fantastic! Way to put the hammer down. And excellent pictures too!

Now brace yourself for the rearing of the ignorant opinions viewing from afar. They love to bicker about this kind of stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Thats pretty good.... I guess /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thats an unreal shot, Congradulations!!!!

[ QUOTE ]

Now brace yourself for the rearing of the ignorant opinions viewing from afar. They love to bicker about this kind of stuff. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Not ALL of us from afar are ignorant, infact it's post's like this that make me read "Long Range Hunting"

Fantastic, well done and yes I am jelous of your achivement(not because I'm not pleased for you, but because I'll probable never have the time/money/skill/gun/opertunity to make a shot like that!!!), of your freedome to choose that caliber of rifle and your more relaxed gun laws you have in the USA.

Like I said WELL DONE and keep those posts and pictures comeing!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That is a great shot. I take it you were shooting off of bipods and a rear bag?

You should show a better picture of the deer. Little deer are just harder to hit and easier to clean and cut up. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif At 1400 yards you pretty much have to be shooting somewhere around 0.75 MOA to make a good hit. Another well built gun by Shawn. I guess Shawn better send you a ball cap.

You are a lucky dog to get a calm day for a shot that far. Great photos and editing to show the shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.