The Edge reaches out in Wyoming

Thanks to everyone for all the great responces it is nice to share my experience and opportunity with a good group of people that share the passion for Long Range Hunting!

Bill Bailey, your said it best, sometimes the trophy is the shot it's self and that was the case here for sure!

Buffalo Bob, your correct I was on a bipod with a rear bag. I had been useing a rabbit-ear rear bag. I switched to the redman rear bag from Triad Tactical my main reason for the switch is that it is filled with polybead and is much lighter to carry in to the field, I really like it.

I am going to have to call Shawn and get one of his hats I don't think he had those when he built my Edge /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif but they are good looking hats.

alg, below are a couple of pics of my Edge as you requested.

DSC_0065.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

Congratulations on a fantastic shot. A clean kill at that distance is an amazing accomplishment, requiring world-class performance from both the rifle & shooter. Shawn obviously did a great job on the rifle and your marksmanship was executed flawlessly. Regardless of the size of the rack, you defiantly have earned a great trophy.

BTW, where in N. Carolina is a range of sufficient size to practice with the Edge?

Good shooting,
Dave

Mike,

That was an outstanding piece of work (your shot). It goes to show what good equipment, practice, and hard work can do. In talking to you in the past about LRH, I don't believe you were lucky and don't let anyone tell you that you were. Plain and simple you were lucky for your conditions and you executed reading the conditions, doping the rifle, getting a solid shooting platform, getting a good shot angle and breaking the shot, perfectly. Excellent job.

Thanks for the kind words Shawn. This was in my opinion a team effort, without your skill in building me a great rifle these type of shots would not be possible. There are several others that can say that on this site, thanks to the skills of yourself and the other great smiths like Kirby that we all have learned about here on Long Range Hunting.

You and Buffalo Bob are exactly right about me being fortunate to have a very rare day with the conditions being extremely calm, that had not been the case earlier in the week.

Mountain Sheep, I have been told that there is a great 1000 yard range in Wilkesboro NC. I am very lucky to have family property in VA that allows me the opportunity to practice out to 1200 yards without any issues. It is only 1 1/2 hours from my home, well worth the drive.

Thanks,
Mike

Ditto's on everything that's been said. i'm very impressed and as someone else said, jealous at the same time.hope to make a shot like that some day myself. congratulations!

Didn't mean guys from far off countries were ignorant. I meant some of the guys from the other "hunting sites" that are way far off in their understanding of our sport. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brother that is one hell of a shot !!!!

Goodgrouper -your earlier comment didn't give - "them" time to start their negative comments. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif--Mike

Thanks for sharing your story. Amazing shot and congrats. How about a few specs on that badboy.

I dont know why you take the close shots /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nice shot.

Whats your rifles specs.

Great shot oneshot. Sounds like you got that rifle right. Now you just need to wait till summer and come up to that property in VA and try it out on some groundhogs.
Good shooting

Ben

Thanks for the pics.-

My equipment is very similar to yours.- the rear bag I mean /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Man! That's not even a great shot!!! That's beyond that! Remember, prone position, bipods, rear bag, less than 16 LBS gun... Great shot? I don't think so. There's got to be a better word. I'm all excited wondering if my dream shot will ever materialize, that would be 1200 yards, one shot, on any big game animal.

Lots of congratulations from me!!!

Thanks again gentlemen for all the great words of support.

Buffalo Bob the binoculars are what I used to spot the buck and they are Swarovski 10x50 slc's. To answer your question I love them it took me a long time to get myself to spend the cash but I have to say they are worth the money. I used them to spot the deer and to rifle scope to confirm it was a buck.

B Stanley, you are right about the ground hogs I have been hunting them for years and it is great LR practice and loads of fun.

Here are the specs on the Gun and Gear for everyone who has requested it. Sorry I did not post with the pics I was not thinking.

338 EDGE: All work done by Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge.
*Remington 700 action trued, lapped ect...
*Tubb Heavy Recoil Lug
*Hart 338 1-10 twist 30" Radial Fluted, 11 Degree Crown with DE Muzzle Break
*DE Bolt Knob
*Badger Ordnance Floor Plate with Wyatts mag box
*Pillar bedded into McMillan A-5 (this is the only change that I have made to this rifle since Shawn built it, started life in a McMillan HTG stock with adj cheek. I really like the feel of the A-5)
*8.5x25x50 Illuminated Mil-Dot Long Range Mark 4 Leupold. Nightforce Rings and Nightforce 20 moa base.
*Cosign indicator

GEAR:
*Eagle Industries Drag Bag/Shooting Mat
*Eberlestock Gunslinger pack
*Palm with Exbal
*Kestrel 4000
*Swarovski LFR
*Swarovski 10x50 slc's
*Muffs
*Redman Rear Bag (changed since picture)

Thanks again,
Mike (Oneshot)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.