The .375 Zayne

I was never that lucky as a kid. This looks like a real hammer. How does it compare velocity wise to the .375Ruger? Another 150-200fps increase in velocity with the same bullets?

The 378 has a 300 ft/sec advantage over the 375 Ruger, and the 375 Zayne should top the 378 the Weatherby by at least 200 ft/sec more. total should be 500 ft/sec + or - the 375 Ruger. (The case capacity of the Zayne is almost double the Ruger).

The case capacity of the Zayne is near the Shey-Tac. Doublezranch has the quick load data and can add to this. The 375 Zayne, was designed for the largest .375 bullets where slow powder and large amounts are necessary.

Only testing will verify these velocities.

J E CUSTOM

Preliminary Quickload results show the Zayne at 3100fps with a 325 grain bullets. I use Quickload as a prediction, not gospel. I won't know it's full potential until his dies show up in the next couple of weeks. The biggest issue will be finding that right powder to get the most out of the 144 grain case capacity. The case is extremely large and dwarfs the 378 Weatherby. It was a wonderful project.

Preliminary Quickload results show the Zayne at 3100fps with a 325 grain bullets. I use Quickload as a prediction, not gospel. I won't know it's full potential until his dies show up in the next couple of weeks. The biggest issue will be finding that right powder to get the most out of the 144 grain case capacity. The case is extremely large and dwarfs the 378 Weatherby. It was a wonderful project.

I'm hoping that you will get 3000ish out of our 394g Hammers. 3100 with 325's sounds conservative, but who knows, you are in that great uncharted place.:D Kinda fun pioneering. I can't wait. I think we talked about this before, but are you guys going to try and mag feed this beast at all? What is your mag length and case length? I am thinking that we can have you a mag length for carrying that will hold close enough on impacts compared to the 394g for short work. Then single feed the big ones for long work.

Steve

Hurry up and get some velocities from it!

I would guess you'll be around 3000 with the heavy 394gr bullets That's a whole lot of powder capacity that should do great with heavy bullets and powders like Retumbo and Reloader 26.

Zayne and I finally were able to get to the range and test the 375 Zayne with full loads. We tested 2 powders, Retumbo and N570 with the 395 Hammer bullets. Our only goal was to see how the gun performed since this rifle has only shot fire formed loads so far. Both powders shot extremely well in the 87 degree heat. I was very impressed with the accuracy of Hammers big 395 offering. Zayne's largest group was a .5 and smallest was .184 at 100 yards. These loads were slightly compressed due to the super long bullet design. Next range session will be Chinchaga's 325's. I purposely with holding velocities until we have consistent numbers. I will tease you with this...it's faster than I thought it was going to be!!;)

I thought I attached the photo of the group but I see it's not on there. Here's the .184 group.
IMG_3754.JPG

I agree!! Might be ridiculous:cool:. The Hammers fly very true, very straight and are extremely consistent. The only downfall ( in my mind) is that the bullet design is very, very long. It eats up quite a bit of case capacity. I spoke with Steve on possibly making a shorter bullet that was still in the upper 300 grains. I'm very interested in seeing what Steve and Brian dream up. Until then, we will try RL 26 and N570 with the Chinchaga's and see where that takes us. Retumbo isn't out of the picture yet but we were walking that fine line. I think one more .5 grain and it would have gone critical. So far slower has been better but when your comparing a spread of .5 to .184 most wouldn't take the time to split those hairs.

.....I agree!! Might be ridiculous:cool:. The Hammers fly very true, very straight and are extremely consistent. The only downfall ( in my mind) is that the bullet design is very, very long. It eats up quite a bit of case capacity.....

The 248 should maximize capacity. It wouldn't even have to shoot very good, I'd just like to see a medium bore close in on the Swift. ;)

It would certainly be a interesting sight!!! I will try one light weight offering just to see how fast we can really push it. Should be able to generate some scorching velocities. I suspect that RL 26 will give us a eye opener with that 325. Right now the 395 gave us more than we expected. Anything more will be a incredible surprise.

Just found this tonight. Don't know how I've missed it up till now but congratulations!! A dream rifle built by a dream team. A moment in time your son will remember forever and a beautiful rifle that obviously shoots lights out.

I agree!! Might be ridiculous:cool:. The Hammers fly very true, very straight and are extremely consistent. The only downfall ( in my mind) is that the bullet design is very, very long. It eats up quite a bit of case capacity. I spoke with Steve on possibly making a shorter bullet that was still in the upper 300 grains. I'm very interested in seeing what Steve and Brian dream up. Until then, we will try RL 26 and N570 with the Chinchaga's and see where that takes us. Retumbo isn't out of the picture yet but we were walking that fine line. I think one more .5 grain and it would have gone critical. So far slower has been better but when your comparing a spread of .5 to .184 most wouldn't take the time to split those hairs.
I'm afraid that's unavoidable with the heavy for caliber monometals unless you specifically chamber your barrel for them.

Great Job Dad !
What a thing to pass on to your kids ! You have some interesting talent that's for sure!
Thank you for posting this !

Rum Man

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.