That won't cut it!

Clem Bronkoski

Finally got a chance to take my Win model 70 270WSM out to sight in and do some load testing. After bore sighting it and taking a shot at 25 yards to get it close I did a bit more scope adjustment to get it close enough for load testing. I had 5 different loads I wanted to test in this rifle to get an idea what it liked. I also brought a couple other rifles to shoot in between groups. Shooting the first 3 shot group my first round was right there then the next 2 were off to the right! Shooting the different loads, allowing about 15 mins between groups, showed the same trend. Best groups was 1.5" and the worse about 2.75"! Really horrible for a custom built rifle. I guess its OK for an average Joe's hunting rifle but it sure won't cut it as a long range rifle. I took a dollar out of my wallet and tried to slide it between the stock and barrel. NO WAY! I'm hoping this is the issue with this rifle because the 270WSM round is a joy to shoot. Much less recoil than I expected.
I took the rifle home and gave it a good cleaning. Then removed the action from the stock and began working on the barrel channel. Whoever bedded this rifle had the entire barrel glass bedded. It took quite a bit of sanding to remove enough material to get the barrel floating all the way back to the chamber (about 3" in front of the recoil lug). I hope it works.

I've seen some rifles actually done like this. Forbes and those light barrels seems to work. I had a ruger rl that went from 1.5 to <.5 we bedded full length. Still it is a discussion that should have been had. Surprises suck!

No guys..If you read my earlier posts on this rifle I purchased it used at an online auction and later found out through the serial number that it was a custom built rifle by Winchester built in 2002. I didn't know it at the time of purchase. I put my bid in because the stock is gorgeous.
And actually Bowhunter there ARE rifles that were deliberately built with the bedding right up to the end of the forearm. It was something that some benchrest shooters did years ago. I found this out doing a search on full bedding vs free floating a barrel.

Yuppers,,, always do the inspection before going to the range,,, this has been a known since the invention of weaponry... Ha.

Let's call it the """cover all bases""" thing,,, this might be why I spend the extra funds to get things sorted before leaving home,,, it ain't worth the drive,,,, ammo,,, and waist of ammo shooting a iron,,, stock,,, and optic if it isn't going to perform...

Check,,, inspect,,, and adjust since """all""" firearms need a going over,,,.bring the tool kit and hardware to do work overs at the dock as well,,, wizer to be 2 or 7 steps ahead at the game then standing behind the 8 ball when it's game time...

For those that choose to practic this,,, to each there own...

A persons CDO will dictate what gets addressed and what dosen't,,, I write everything down on paper and enter this same info into my phone/ mini computer that is,,, that way I have two records of everything for all 3 of my pipes... No getting confused of what is what at the end of the day...

Each of my units gets put away the same every time,,, optic back to 100 zero,,, bolts removed and cleaned along with a lite clean,,, that way I know it needs 3 to 7 dusters to get onto target at any distance... No cleaning during hunting season,,, once in a while I'll do conformation shots to make sure the optic X is on track... LOL...

I'm sure you'll get it sorted my friend,,, lesson learned as you're move forward with a fine unit... And yes,,, it sucks goats milk as we let our selves down,,, pick up where we left off with wizer planning on the next outing...

North of the 49th parallel,,,.on road quality control center where I go Don.

Now I pack 2 of everything as I can never find what I'm looking for... Ha

Full barrel bedding normally works on small light barrels using small cartridges that don't produce much heat and is good for the first shot. A band of bedding without tip pressure will often tame a big cartridge for the first or second shot. After that the heat builds up and the barrel taper starts pushing the barrel around.

Did you do a brake in ? Factory barrels are notorious for needing brake in. Custom barrels also benefit from a good brake procedure, but normally don't need as many shots to accomplish a good brake in.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
I would note, since this rifle was bought at an online auction and was built in 2002, I probably would have done a barrel inspection(perhaps you did), before I started messing with the bedding. Who knows for sure what the true round count may be. Like others have said, I too have seen some rifles with full length bedding that shoot great. I do however hope the bedding was the issue and it shoots great for you after the sanding. Good Luck!!

This kinda off topic. I read where a small strip of felt a few inches back from the end of the stock,under the barrel, helps tame barrell whip. To me that kinda makes sense.

I'll try and reply to a couple of these posts (and thanks for your input). First off I never had a chance to look at the rifling before purchase but I really wasn't worried about that. There are very few rifles that have their barrels shot out except for those diehard shooters that shoot a couple hundred rounds every week. This barrel is no exception. Whoever had the rifle before me kept it squeaky clean. A couple minor dings in the stock which is to be expected.
Secondly as I was sanding I noticed a fairly sharp ridge running down the length of the barrel channel which I thought was very odd. If you're going to bed a barrel channel you want uniform pressure on the barrel throughout the bedding.
Thirdly, regarding the piece of felt near the end of the forearm. Remington used to, don't know if they still do, leave a small square of wood in the barrel channel near the forearm tip. That was the first thing I removed whenever I got a 700. I could never understand why they left that there in the first place other than making it a point for barrel pressure.
I'm fairly confident that removing this bedding back down to the chamber will result in better accuracy and eliminate the horizontal stringing of my shots.

Like JE said....some liteweight barrels havexthe pressure point to improve the shooting...some have it to keep the stock in the same place on the barrel itself....my new mountain stock insisted it hqve the pressure point...if removed would void any warranty....
My first two shots hit consistently..third a touch out..if cooled shoots to same holes as first two...
Can't argue with success....two first cold firings...two dead Muleys.......learn the gun....not all barrels need be free floated...

Almost all factory rifles use to come with some sort if tip pressure in the stock. This was to make the rifle more accurate/repeatable on the first shot. The idea was to make the first shot count for hunting use where back up shots were rare.

Believe it or not It worked. I always recommend that If a rifle is to be used this way try it first before you remove the tip pressure. Some times if you remove the tip pressure, accuracy can degrade.

On many match rifles, set/tuning screws were installed to find the right amount of tip pressure for the best accuracy. This technology was used long before all of the innovations we enjoy today.

J E CUSTOM

I got a rem 700 sps tactical in a trade it had two pressure points at the front of the stock one on each side of the barrel just off center . I kind of figured they wanted first round cold bore shots to hit right on then follow up shots to be really close .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts