Well that didn’t go how I planned it!

I was in my early 20's going to college and worked part time at Scheels. As an employee I got a great buy on a top of the line PSE bow. For some reason I had the mentality that more poundage was better so I picked up a 65-80lb bow. I practiced all summer at 75lbs and was very proficient. Now season opened mid September. I had some opportunities on a few deer, but was holding out for something a little bigger. As the season progressed I got busy with school and work and as a result didn't practice shooting as often as I should have.
Rifle season opened early November so I ditched the bow for a few weeks until I decided to go out bow hunting again the day b4 Thanksgiving. It was a COLD November morning. I snuck in and got positioned in an old permanent deer stand that had a few creeks in it. I had to stay still to prevent it from making any noises. After about 2 hours of freezing in the cold I was about to get out of my stand when I saw a young doe gradually crest the hill. I didn't think much of it until I saw the rack that was following! My heart went into over drive. I new I had to remain still to keep the stand from creeking. The buck stopped, textbook perfect, broadside, vitals exposed, head behind a big tree where he couldn't see me….. I tried to draw my bow, but try as I might, 75 pounds was more than I could muster! It didn't take long and the jig was up. My window of opportunity slammed shut in an instant.
I had the strangest feelings… I felt like crying, laughing, throwing my bow, and cursing all at the same time. I'll never forget that deer, and I've never had my bow set that high again!
Drawing a bow - or not - after you have sat in December cold for a couple hours can come as a surprise. Yup, old compound years ago, could not break it over. :(

Have you even posted on here yet , ? I know you have to have at least one story ! Even a transmission pulling story. Anything ! Come on . 😆
OK, it's my turn. This was back in 1994, on my last caribou hunt before moving south. Two buddies and myself were getting dropped on off for a week. Flying through a pass, the flaps were down and we were gaining 100 feet altitude every 60 seconds. Let's just say it was windy. We get to the lake we were being dropped on and I was thinking what a smooth touchdown the pilot did on the lake. If you landed on floats you know how loud it is. When the pilot said "oh $h!t" I then felt the floats touch water. That is not a phrase that I want to hear from my pilot, or my surgeon. The wind was behind us and kept pushing. There was a three foot ledge at the shore and I thought we were going to catch the front of the floats and flip, because we were going too fast to stop. The pilot pulled back and hit the throttle and we lifted up just in time to get over the ledge and skid about thirty yards on the grass. Floats stop faster on grass than on water. We all just sat there for what seemed a long time before I finally said "If I knew we were landing on dry ground I would not be wearing hip waders. We all got out, I kissed a patch of ground, and we unloaded our gear. Four of us pushed the plane back into the water and he was taking off into the wind. That plane lifted off the water in about three float lengths. That night we had 60 MPH sustained winds and gusts that reached 105 MPH. Keeping the tent and gear secure is a story for another time.

Last edited:
OK, it's my turn. This was back in 1994, on my last caribou hunt before moving south. Two buddies and myself were getting dropped on off for a week. Flying through a pass, the flaps were down and we were gaining 100 feet altitude every 60 seconds. Let's just say it was windy. We get to the lake we were being dropped on and I was thinking what a smooth touchdown the pilot did on the lake. If you landed on floats you know how loud it is. When the pilot said "oh $h!t" I then felt the floats touch water. That is not a phrase that I want to hear from my pilot, or my surgeon. The wind was behind us and kept pushing. There was a three foot ledge at the shore and I thought we were going to catch the front of the floats and flip, because we were going too fast to stop. The pilot pulled back and hit the throttle and we lifted up just in time to get over the ledge and skid on about thirty yards on the grass. Floats stop faster on grass than on water. We all just sat there for what seemed a long time before I finally said "If I knew we were landing on dry ground I would not be wearing hip waders. We all got out, I kissed a patch of ground, and we unloaded our gear. Four of us pushed the plane back into the water and he was taking off into the wind. That plane lifted off the water in about three float lengths. That night we had 60 MPH sustained winds and gusts that reached 105 MPH. Keeping the tent and gear secure is a story for another time.
About time and great story !👍

I think it was 1995. My dad, my uncle and his son and I all went Antelope hunting near Miles City Montana. We gained permission from a nice rancher and shortly after spotted a small group of animals. My younger cousin and i put the sneak on the group using the broken terrain to our advantage. We got within 100-150 yards. My cousin shot first dropping his animal where it was laying and I dropped a second. We decided to wait for the dads to come down to help us with the field dressing chores. The rough terrain took a bit for them navigate their Blazer to us. Now I had probably field dressed 8 to 10 deer before this trip, but I had never field dressed an antelope. As my dad, uncle and cousin were holding the animal I proceeded with the task. I'm not sure to this day if antelope tend to bloat faster than whitetail, but what I do know is all it took was one little slip of my knife and I was literally spackled with antelope poo from my waist band of my pants to the top of my hat! Everyone bust a gut laughing (pun intended)!
Good memories.