Rem 700 TI won't shoot

Factory or reloads? I tried the factory load on Tuesday and they didn't shoot well.

I have a first gen TI in 30-06 I used for Elk. Sub MOA accuracy with Nosler 165gr. Both animals I shot at 250 and 320 yards were one shot kills

You'll figure it out and you'll have a shooter. If it was shot out I'd be shocked. There's a chance it's pitted but not likely. Call around to your local shops and see who has a barrel scope. It takes all of 1 minute to check the whole barrel out. Might was well run it by somewhere while it's super clean.

Make sure you're using a copper de-fouler during the cleaning. Lots of people use Hoppe's #9 with a few patches and think its clean. Hoppe's #9 is a great step too though. I really like Wipe Out. It really strips the hell out of that copper.

Whoever told you to check the torque is absolutely right. The Fat Wrench is a cheap way to skin this.

I'm with you on the VLD. Love that bullet. Tuning the 190 VLD for my 300 Jarrett next week. The guy who told you to use match type bullets did list the GameKing as an option. I do love that bullet. Cheap and usually very accurate in my .30 cals.

With that Remington you'll probably find your best accuracy on shots 5-20. They like it a little dirty and I learned as a young man that that's worth holding on to.

Horrible idea. Use a hunting bullet on game. Will those bullets kill game? Absolutely. But you could shoot me in the chest with a high powered pellet rifle and I'll eventually die a slow death from the wound if I don't get help.

Use a hunting bullet designed for the game you're hunting and be done with it. A humane kill is more important than the 1/4" you might shave off with target ammo.

Horrible idea. Use a hunting bullet on game. Will those bullets kill game? Absolutely. But you could shoot me in the chest with a high powered pellet rifle and I'll eventually die a slow death from the wound if I don't get help.

Use a hunting bullet designed for the game you're hunting and be done with it. A humane kill is more important than the 1/4" you might shave off with target ammo.
Apparently you have never used, or seen a SMK or Berger Hybrid on game. The absolute fastest kills I have ever witnessed have been with a "Match" bullet. I mean dead right there. Many without a single kick. Just drop at the shot.

It is almost all I use.
.300RUM w. 215 Match Hybrid @ 3100fps has taken a bunch of elk from my rifle.
.300RUM w. 230 Hybrid @ 2990 to 3068fps has killed a truckload of elk.
7 Rem Mag w. 180 Match Hybrid @ 2996 has taken elk from 75 to 662 yards, with nothing going further than 75 yards with a fist sized exit, and nothing but Jell-o inside.
6.5 SLR/.260 Rem/6.5-06AI shooting 142 SMK/140 Hybrids @ 2850-3150 have accounted for quite a few deer by myself and family, and a ton more deer/pronghorn/elk for friends.
.250AI/.25-06AI using 100SMK @ 3100-3650 have taken a bunch of deer, javalina, coyotes from 18 to 1327 yards.
.223 69SMK have killed more coyotes and jackrabbit than I could imagine.

I built a 6.5SS that In was going to use a 150 Matrix Match, but I am waiting to see what the new Berger 155 Elite Hunter will do. Right now, I am shooting 142 SMK & 140 Hybrids in it. Once it cools down, I plan to thin the coyote population with it this winter.

That extra 1/2 MOA translates to 4" @ 800 yards. Meaning the difference between a good hit or a possible miss, or worse, a gutshot/wound.

2016 bull Elk 215 Hybrid @ 432 yards (elk dropped instantly, bullet found under offside skin)
2016 cow elk 180 Hybrid @ 75 yards, cow ran 50 yards, then slid another 20 to the bottom of a ravine (pass through with fist sized exit)
2017 Bull elk 180 Hybrid @ 662 yards, bull ran 50 yards and piled up with chunks of lung along the last 20 yards of blood trail (pass through with $.25 exit, no bones hit)
2017 pronghorn 142 SMK @ 3105 @ 430 yards, never took a step, exit was gruesome (a friend at my recommendation)

We will be using 7mm 180 Hybrids and .308 230 Hybrids on 3 more elk hunts this winter.

Don't knock them until you try them. Better yet, don't try them. Makes them easier to find on the shelf for those of us that use them and shoot a few thousand rounds a year.

If you put a "match" bullet where it needs to go, the animal will die very quickly. If you put a 'hunting" bullet where it needs to go, the animal will die very quiclly. If you can't put any bullet where it needs to go, it doesn't matter what you are shooting. The animal will suffer regardless. Or you miss, which would be better for everyone.

I bet a lot of serious marksmen/hunters use "Match" bullets for hunting with great results.

Make sure to tell Broz he doesn't know what he's talking about when he says the Berger 215 MATCH Hybrid is one of, if not the best elk killing bullets of all time. He is the most experienced elk hunter/guide on this site.

I'm planning on cleaning it tonight and trying to get a smith buddy of mine check the barrel with a scope tomorrow while I'm in Lubbock.

I have 2 different copper solvents I use. I made the mistake in the past not realizing there was a difference...now I know haha.

Yup I have a fat wrench and love it.

Interesting point on the fouling...I don't think I've ever seen a rifle take 20 shots to get fouled. Thanks for the input.

You'll figure it out and you'll have a shooter. If it was shot out I'd be shocked. There's a chance it's pitted but not likely. Call around to your local shops and see who has a barrel scope. It takes all of 1 minute to check the whole barrel out. Might was well run it by somewhere while it's super clean.

Make sure you're using a copper de-fouler during the cleaning. Lots of people use Hoppe's #9 with a few patches and think its clean. Hoppe's #9 is a great step too though. I really like Wipe Out. It really strips the hell out of that copper.

Whoever told you to check the torque is absolutely right. The Fat Wrench is a cheap way to skin this.

I'm with you on the VLD. Love that bullet. Tuning the 190 VLD for my 300 Jarrett next week. The guy who told you to use match type bullets did list the GameKing as an option. I do love that bullet. Cheap and usually very accurate in my .30 cals.

With that Remington you'll probably find your best accuracy on shots 5-20. They like it a little dirty and I learned as a young man that that's worth holding on to.

I'm planning on cleaning it tonight and trying to get a smith buddy of mine check the barrel with a scope tomorrow while I'm in Lubbock.

I have 2 different copper solvents I use. I made the mistake in the past not realizing there was a difference...now I know haha.

Yup I have a fat wrench and love it.

Interesting point on the fouling...I don't think I've ever seen a rifle take 20 shots to get fouled. Thanks for the input.

I just meant the sweetspot in my factory barrels was usually shots 5-20. It shouldn't be excessively copper fouled after 20 rounds but thats about when I clean mine since I have seen the accuracy drop off after 20. I don't spend much time on the range after I get my loads ironed out so some of my rifles won't see 20 rounds in 2 years.

Looking forward to hearing how your rifle ends up shooting when you're done getting this little bug worked out. I love those Ti rifles.

Also, it appears as though I'm the only idiot not shooting target rounds at game these days. Not surprised the Bergers get the job done since they're modified VLDs but the others...well, I just won't be hunting with them myself.

Clean it, bed it, stick to the 180 or heavier class bullets and work up some handloads.

2moa from a factory gun with a plastic stock and factory loads isn't terrible.

Check your scope and mounts for secureness while you're at it.

Have to agree. Berger makes hybrids and hunting bullets too for those that have the "Berger Fever".

I want predictable controlled expansion with every shot, no penciling through, no exploding bullets that fail to penetrate.

If you're going to use a highly frangible bullet, stick to soft points of impact avoiding hard bones.

Haha she isn't going anywhere! I agree on the torque, I learned that lesson a long time ago and bought a wheeler torque wrench that I now use. I've checked the action screws and torqued the bases/rings correctly as well. Gonna clean it really well and start from scratch again. Never bedded a rifle by myself but now might be the time to try as i'm already considering a new stock anyway
Use plenty of release agent, then use some more.

There are some good videos on youtube on how to bed a rifle.

Whatever you do make sure you keep the bedding out of the trigger group and ammo well.

I think I have those and the powder at home. Might give them a try. What velocity are you getting?
Keep in mind that with monometals you need to go heavier to get equal bc's because they run about 10% lower than lead core bullets due to the difference in density.

VRG4 -VLR4-left-right.jpg

If you want to try a monometal I can't recommend the Peregrine Plainsmaster and VLR series bullets highly enough. I got introduced to them while in S. Africa in 2015 after being basically a lead core bullet guy my whole life. I'm now shooting them exclusively and keep piling up clean, quick, one shot kills on over 20 large hogs and deer here in the US on top of piling up a whole lot of African game with them.

Attachments

• VRG4 -VLR4-left-right.jpg
    VRG4 -VLR4-left-right.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 91
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts