Rem 700 TI won't shoot

yes, they're bullets with an embedded polish grit. when you shoot them they work to polish the inside of the barrel. they take a lot of time and cleaning but good results can be had. I've used them on a rough 8x57 mauser military barrel and it got a lot smoother.

What's that David Tubb finish treatment? Are those lapping bullets?
It's a lot cheaper to shoot your regular bullets after swabbing the barrel with a patch wetted in fine lapping compound.

I also think you get a much faster and more even result because the grit then runs the length of the barrel.

With the Tubb's bullets most of the grit will be lost right after the bullet engages the lans.

^^^this^^^

I hear JB Compound gets great results. It's ~1000grit I believe.

I just use cutting fluid ( product common to metalworking) and SiC (silicon carbide) lapping compound on a nylon brush.

Very shiny, yes!

Have been tempted to try some finer 5u and 1u diamond suspensions on the stainless with hopes of further reducing copper fouling.

Last edited:
First thing is to get a good bedding and barrel float. If it's a factory Remington barrel, if it's like the ones I've had, it coppers like all get-out. I've got a 300WM Sendero which shoot .3-.5 MOA for 20 rounds then opens to 2 MOA quickly. A full copper cleanout and it's back to being accurate. I did the Tubbs bullet treatment, the 3 finest sets skipping the two coarsest, and now I can get 40 rounds. Any custom barrel I have I never encounter these issues under 100 rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.