That won't cut it!

No guys..If you read my earlier posts on this rifle I purchased it used at an online auction and later found out through the serial number that it was a custom built rifle by Winchester built in 2002. I didn't know it at the time of purchase. I put my bid in because the stock is gorgeous.
And actually Bowhunter there ARE rifles that were deliberately built with the bedding right up to the end of the forearm. It was something that some benchrest shooters did years ago. I found this out doing a search on full bedding vs free floating a barrel.
Sounds like something a Pollock would do (My Dada family name was Toporowicz and he was born outside Warsaw in Poland). I know what you are saying because that is the same thing I would do !! My rifle is a 700 Remington 270 Win. I bought it because I happened to be in the sporting goods store when a guy traded it in. I had a Timminey trigger installed and the stock glass bedded. The gunsmith the did the bedding kept the barrel free floating but I have yet to shoot it. I guess the real reason I bought it is because of the fidel back maple stock, it looks like tiger stripes !!
DSCN0417.JPG
DSCN0417.JPG
DSCN0417.JPG

Yeah...i like it too....can I talk a Pollack out of it for 150$...lol....
I am of eastern European descent also....dont know of Pollack...but definitely eastern.....german, chech...the mix.....
Thanks for service.....

I have a Rem 700 MTN rifle in 270win, it was a few years old when I bought it. Was having trouble getting it to shoot well. I noticed the stock was a little off at the forend-less gap on one side than the other. Removed barrel and action and someone had free floated the barrel and epoxied in a metal rod in the forend. This is a wood stock BTW. After looking at my dads 700 MTN rifle that shot great I noticed the pad at front of stock. So somebody had done a little smithing work it appeared and maybe the gun wasn't shooting well from the start when new. After reading about New Ultra Light Arms and the full bedding they do with light skinny barreled rifles I decided to full length bed this rifle, from tang to front of stock. Shoots great to this day and it has a nice solid feel when shooting it.

Hey Sarge I just might have to post a pic of mine. But I couldn't beat the price, only $400, Heck if I can't get it to shoot I can either rebarrel it or trade it in a make some pretty good change. And the average Joe would be happy with it. BTW I'm a pollock too
upload_2019-7-26_21-5-58.jpeg

upload_2019-7-26_21-6-31.jpeg

Beautiful wood on that rifle.

I live in western Washington. If you have a wood stock around here and you bed it full length, every time the humidity changes a lot, which is often, your POI changes with it because the wood will be moving with the moisture it picks up.

You might sight in your rifle during the summer and it shoots fine all through the dryer weather. Then you take it out and shoot it in November and it needs to be sighted in again.

A small amount of bedding near the front of the stock should accomplish about the same thing as full length bedding, except full length might possibly seal the stock up more if the outside is sealed up with poly or something. I'm not sure about that.

In this country it's mostly free floating or synthetic stocks.

Last edited:
Beautiful wood on that rifle.

I live in western Washington. If you have a wood stock around here and you bed it full length, every time the humidity changes a lot, which is often, your POI changes with it because the wood will be moving with the moisture it picks up.

You might sight in your rifle during the summer and it shoots fine all through the dryer weather. Then you take it out and shoot it in November and it needs to be sighted in again.

A small amount of bedding near the front of the stock should accomplish about the same thing as full length bedding, except full length might possibly seal the stock up more if the outside is sealed up with poly or something. I'm not sure about that.

In this country it's mostly free floating or synthetic stocks.
I'm in WW too, near the coast, hunt rain or shine. My stocks are sealed with spar varnish, varathane, some type of poly coating. Temp and moisture doesn't affect poi.

i got it down to about 1 MOA with IMR4350 and Nosler 140 gr BTs But I'm still not satisfied. I'm going away for about a month but when I come back I'm going to load up some 130 Nosler BTs. They always shot well in my 270 Win.

I have been told that on wooden stocks you need to seal the inside of the stock so that it doesn't absorb moisture from the air or loose it depending on the conditions where you live .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.