Tell me what Caliber to build...

I understand the OP's current situation. There are several ways to approach this and opinions can be endless. The LRH forum is great way to gather information and learn from people with significant experience. The reason I suggested the 7SAUM was simply based on the limited experience, SA stock already in hand, available quality brass (ADG), and my current bias toward 7mm bullets. Primarily hunting deer and shooting steel with possible down the road big game opportunities is very common for people living in the southeast. I doubt this will be the last rifle he builds if he gets caught in the rabbit hole.
Enjoy the process of learning. In the end, get what you want and shoot it as much as you can.

Op's statement, "I want to shoot as heavy a bullet as fast as possible, within reason. I don't want to try to make a short action a 300WM" is confusing. Not much difference in recoil between a 300 WSM and a 300 Win mag. You have to go down in bullet weight to reduce recoil felt, IF that is what he is talking about?

Mark, I think you hit the nail on the head with the 7SAUM if he wants more bullet weight!

I would definitely be happy with that performance, a 215gr at 2850fps.
The reality of it is, 99% of the time the only animal I'll be hunting is whitetail. I've avoided saying that because I don't want to get "whitetail" recommendations. I would love to hunt true big game. However, being in Alabama with a full time job that doesn't allow for a lot of off time in sept/Oct, that ain't gonna happen for a while. It's why I posed the question as heaviest bullet as fast as possible. A 215 at 2850 fits that bill for me.
How does perceived recoil of your 300wsm compare to other chamberings you have experience with?
I've read through most of the post at this point, and can't resist throwing in some feedback. Personally, I hate when others leave the subject matter in my questions, especially when I set the criteria clearly. That said, the OP has cracked the door opened with a few comments:
1. 150s-160s opens a whole other door for short action cartridges.
2. Deer-sized animals vs large heavies for 'other larger' game.
3. OPs admitted lack of experience with different cartridge choices.
4. OP did ask about recoil (didn't say he was worried, bit it did come up)
5. From Alabama- not far from me.
This makes me want to jump in and pick back another layer.
My strong suggestion would be consider something in the 6.5 world that you can learn on. Not to say you should abandon your original thoughts, but a short action 6.5 will allow you to gain some experience with building your first build yourself, learn all the nuances of reloading in a cartridge that has a ton of available components, and information available. Not to mention, you can practice your technique and reach out a long ways without a huge recoil penalty. If you are goingnto hunt deer sized animals, my picks for you would be 308 Win with 28" barrel 6.5x47 Lap, 7mm-08, 6.5 CM, 260 Rem, in that order.

If you reverse engineer what you are trying to do, I bet you will find that there will be no limitations put upon you with these cartridges, other than the fact that you ARENT PUSHING THE HEAVIEST BULLETS AVAILABLE in a short action cartridge. The 308 with 28" barrel will push a 200 gr. Bullet over 2700.....just sayin.

Reach out via PM if you want some more focused discussion.

Op's statement, "I want to shoot as heavy a bullet as fast as possible, within reason. I don't want to try to make a short action a 300WM" is confusing. Not much difference in recoil between a 300 WSM and a 300 Win mag. You have to go down in bullet weight to reduce recoil felt, IF that is what he is talking about?

Mark, I think you hit the nail on the head with the 7SAUM if he wants more bullet weight!
As usual, I do a bad job expressing myself.

What I meant by that statement is that I'm not interested in pushing the limits just to get speed. I don't want to blow up a gun or my face just to try to get a certain outcome.

I appreciate everyone's input, expertise and opinions. Thank you for your help!

At this time I'm going to research 7SAUM and 300WSM

Since you're "rolling your own", a couple of other cartridges to consider with high performance but not "barn burners"; 6.5 or 7 PRC or 6.8 western. That 6.8 western will kill anything walking and has long legs. In mine I like the 165 gr Nosler ABLR (.615 G-1 BC, 2950fps) and the 175 gr Sierra Tipped Game King (.665 BC, 2844 fps). This cartridge has more energy remaining at 500 yds than a .300 WM but is easy on the shoulder.

If you plan to shoot heavy-for-caliber projectiles, the largest caliber you can shoot from a short action without having to fight magazine length is 6.5 mm.

In Savage short actions, my family shoots 6.5 SAUM. ADG makes headstamped brass.

For 7mm and larger calibers, we shoot long actions.

Too many variables for an easy answer.
Your homework will be narrowing down a few bullets that work well under certain boundaries of distance, speed.
What will you do with distance and speed; paper punching, steel, rocks, or animals?
Then, what cartridge will propel that group of bullets to the speed you need to get to those distances and terminal performance.
You should find brackets that all of these will fit into. You may end up with a shorter range and a longer range configuration based on bullets that are terrible at short distance animals but excell at mid to long range based on bullet construction.
Mind boggling amount of combinations. So if you can create a spreadsheet for every purpose you want, start there.
Then start a down select to narrow it.
You're not there yet.
Don't forget chambered lengths and what will fit in your mag length.
Enjoy the homework.
The Easy Answer is 6.5 wait for it

CREEDMORE. 🤓

With the predicted shortages coming and older guys slowing down reloading that have a ton of .284 cal and .30 cal supplies on hand,Any short 7 or 30,a feller will have a wide range of bullet selections.Short fat cases can use a wider range of powders.
7 Saum be first choice, after you get go,no gauges, brass and dies,might have to wait a bit.
I have two 7 saums in pistols, one xp-100 16"and a rear grip Savage PTA with 16" 7 saum,also have 16"throated 7wsm and 17" 28 nosler barrels.Takes me about 15 min to change a barrel.I've used Varget to Retumbo in short fat cases.
Maybe a short 7 to look at is the Sherman line ,he seems to have brass.
7/300 WSM is a good option. I've picked up quite a bit of 270 WSM and 300 WSM brass cheap I can neck up or down,I bought used 300wsm bushing dies. I think 6.8 Western brass can be used. I read somewheres there is new 300 WSM brass is coming.
Just picked up a Savage 110PCS LBRP in a 10.5"large shank 6.5CM,it's ssssslow,I put a 18" 6.5cm barrel on it,semi slow.I plan to do a 7SS or 7/300 wsm,17"pistol or maybe a neat 20" lefty rifle.