Tell me what Caliber to build...

CKyleC

I have ended up with a MDT field stock for a savage 110 short action.

I am taking this opportunity to build a new rifle from the stock up. Hunting mainly, but I will ring steel during the off season.

I want to shoot as heavy a bullet as fast as possible, within reason. I don't want to try to make a short action a 300WM, but I have plenty of powders and bullets to choose from, so I'll be able to work up something nice.

Build it!

I have ended up with a MDT field stock for a savage 110 short action.

I am taking this opportunity to build a new rifle from the stock up. Hunting mainly, but I will ring steel during the off season.

I want to shoot as heavy a bullet as fast as possible, within reason. I don't want to try to make a short action a 300WM, but I have plenty of powders and bullets to choose from, so I'll be able to work up something nice.

Build it!
A Savage action is an excellent DIY build. Are you asking for caliber or chambering? How far and what are you going to hunt? What bolt head is your action?

A Savage action is an excellent DIY build. Are you asking for caliber or chambering? How far and what are you going to hunt? What bolt head is your action?

Chambering. I don't have anything other than a stock at this point. I'm not as concerned with hunting distance as I am overall performance, which is why I said in my original post "as heavy a bullet as fast as possible". That said, I'd like to shoot at least a 160gr bullet, I think.