Tell me what you think

Cruizin

First of all I have to say I feel really stupid about this, but I'm over that. I just want to know if I caused any damage to a barrel.

Is it possible to mess up a barrel with a brass jag with a bore guide. Why I ask is I did something really stupid. I was talking to someone at the range and I thought I had saturated a patch in Shooters Choice, but I guess it was dry, and I put it down the barrel and it got stuck. :eek: The rod went through the patch and out the other end of the barrel so I pulled it back through and it got stuck again. After pulling and saying some words I probably shouldn't have it came back out so I then pounded at the stuck patch with the rod and the brass jag. I finally got it out but some of the noises didn't sound good. The brass jag did come in contact with the rifling and when I got the patch out it had a bunch of holes in it.

I then ran a wet patch through and it had one piece of brass on it that I could see. I looked down the barrel and didn't see any burrs or anything like that so I ran a few patches through. They were nice and smooth and didn't seem to hang up on anything.

It was a really windy day and I was shooting from a bipod. Groups were as expected I guess but I'm wondering if I caused any damage. I'm thinking of making a drive out to have my gunsmith take a look with the bore scope.

Has anyone else done this before or heard of it happening to someone else? Did it ruin the barrel?

The answer if in the shooting IMHO. I normal do not use a jag, I simply wrap a patch around a brush and I use Nylon brushes.....

Yeah I suppose you're right. I will just have to wait and see. I did speak with my gunsmith about it and he seems to think I didn't do any damage. I guess we will just have to wait and see. I'll let you know how the groups look next week.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.