TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

I never liked the idea of meat in water. I use frozen milk jugs to keep my meat cold. On a lot of hunts, I can take the jugs out at night and refreeze them.

I wish I'd read this forum 30 years ago. I practiced with inexpensive 162 gr. Amax bullets and hunted with expensive 160 gr. Barnes X. In 50 years of hunting, I'm not sure I can claim bullet failure was the cause of any animal not being recovered. I did shoot a javelina with a 7mm TCU out of a 10" barrel and the rifle bullet penciled through. I had to shoot that one twice. I use varmit bullets now in my TCU.

I read an article in Shooting Times decades ago about the difference in energy a high B.C. makes. It made me a believer in heavier streamlined bullets. I use 7mm 168 gr. Berger VLDs now because they were inexpensive at the time, accurate, and they have worked for everything I've shot from javelina to elk.

Use what works! Taken over 50 mule deer, whitetail, and antelope between 200 and 1200 yards using 142gr JLK's in my 6.5x284 running 2975-3015FPS. Originally used for competition(2010), After I experienced the superb results on game I ordered a batch of 1500 from Swampy(Swampworks). Still have about 500 left,..And still going strong..
Typical appearance when I could retrieve the bullet. This one at 65% weight retention from a LR big Alberta mule deer.
IMG_1442.jpeg
IMG_0347.jpeg

Use what works! Taken over 50 mule deer, whitetail, and antelope between 200 and 1200 yards using 142gr JLK's in my 6.5x284 running 2975-3015FPS. Originally used for competition(2010), After I experienced the superb results on game I ordered a batch of 1500 from Swampy(Swampworks). Still have about 500 left,..And still going strong..
Typical appearance when I could retrieve the bullet. This one at 65% weight retention from a LR big Alberta mule deer.
View attachment 526603View attachment 526605
I actually tried to get in touch with JLK last year but I'm not sure that haven't shut down. They make a good looking bullet

"I wonder what DocUSMCretired" job is @xsn10s?
he's retired so he raises on of them gardens that lions live in and builds bi-planes and shoots trap by the pond to practice for when salesman show up
You guys spying on me again? Just because oklahoma is relatively close by Texas time doesn't mean we bought lions. And if we did it was for "research" purposes only! Not to teach the big fluffy kitties to be guard dogs.

You guys spying on me again? Just because oklahoma is relatively close by Texas time doesn't mean we bought lions. And if we did it was for "research" purposes only! Not to teach the big fluffy kitties to be guard dogs.
Are they trained to guard those "match" bullets?

We'll see how good he eats. I think I smelled him before I saw him! He's going in the ice chest for 10 days on ice. I'm sold on the ice aging method. We'll see if it works on a rutty buck.
I am too. I don't know if I have ever gone 10 days. I shoot for 5. But as long as you keep the drain open and the ice chest tilted up (box of shotgun shells works great for this on top of another ice chest) and additional fresh ice as needed you will be happy. My Idaho November 20 buck dripping in rut juice tasted great.

Recent Posts