TARGET BULLETS ARE NOT HUNTING BULLETS!

Sierra match kings have always worked great for me!!!
I shot a lot of deer with a 7mm version until the last one I killed with it, the bullet went in between two ribs and yep you guessed it it exited in between two ribs. The two holes closed up nicely so no blood trail, I did find three tiny drops of blood on one leaf. I forgot to mention a rain storm had blew in and where I shot the deer it was clay and I could follow the tracks until I got into the trees, it took me a while, maybe an hour or so, but I found the buck. He traveled around 150 yds total so that's when I changed bullets, prior to that I had always struck a rib bone on the way out so I had a blood trail. I like rib shots, they may run with normal lead core bullets a little ways but there's a lot less meat loss. Since switching to Hammer's in 30 cal it's been bang, drop, drt.

Last edited:
I'm not Ucs, but I've ice chest aged deer and pigs. You simply place layers of ice and meat in a large cooler with the drain left open. Periodically, add more ice, as needed.

IMO - it's best if you can find some type of plastic rack to place in the bottom of the cooler so that none of the meat sits in any water as ice melts.
The grids used in fluorescent lights works great, trim it to fit the cooler bottom

We're those the aluminum tipped torpedoes think the box said national match on it. I used them in my 7STW. Bought 500 of them at an NRA show in the early 90s. Consistently dropped every deer I shot out to 1440 yards. Never had one run. Tried to get Hornaday to make me more. Steve said they were experimental. Could not make them anymore. Best target bullet I ever shot.

No aluminum tips on the bullets that I used. Just plain-jane, plastic tippped A-Max bullets. Not much different from the current 162 ELD-M bullets.

Curious. Anyone have photos of one of these "target" bullets that were recovered?
This is the 155 gr Silver Scenar from a 308 shot lengthwise through a doe at 550 yards. Not sure what I hit, but she dropped on the spot. Getting to her we needed to dispatch her because something paralyzed her, but did not kill her. Normally if a bullet exits they are off to never never land, but my son found this on the ground behind the doe when he pulled away the doe he shot sniffing at mine. I didn't like how that bullet looked so have not shot any since.

1000017726.jpg

This is the 155 gr Silver Scenar from a 308 shot lengthwise through a doe at 550 yards. Not sure what I hit, but she dropped on the spot. Getting to her we needed to dispatch her because something paralyzed her, but did not kill her. Normally if a bullet exits they are off to never never land, but my son found this on the ground behind the doe when he pulled away the doe he shot sniffing at mine. I didn't like how that bullet looked so have not shot any since.

View attachment 525860
Using your load. What would have been the retained velocity at 550 ?

View attachment 525860

All the silver coating came off the entire bullet, including ojive and boattail? Seems odd.

No aluminum tips on the bullets that I used. Just plain-jane, plastic tippped A-Max bullets. Not much different from the current 162 ELD-M bullets.
I use accubond for BT noslers. They do their job, with not much meat lost. You can shoot the Coy, but you don't eat them, or at lease I don't. If you are takening them for pelts, then that a different story.
I am changing some of my rifles to a faster twist for "Hunter bullets". Or should I say any new rifles are being built with faster twist rates to handle all cooper bullets.
P.S I wasn't going to get into this fight again.

Recent Posts