Target and Hunting All Around Bullet for slower 6.5

catorres1

I have a newer 260 rem in a Tikka CTR. I have been working up loads with 140 Amax's, but am looking for one bullet to use for both shooting steel at 1k, and for hunting out to 500 or so.

Game will be deer, Mouflon and Aoudad, hogs.

Velocity wise, I can get better than 2750 with the Amax's, but have been shooting them at 2700.

I considered trying the 140 LRAB, as it seems like it might be perfect, even if the BC is probably in the lower 600's, not 7's as advertised. But I am reading too many comments about how unbelievably soft these are so that they will open way out there, so I am concerned about that, even though my velocities will be moderate. When I talked to Nosler, they warned me about being careful about how hard you push them as the tech said they are so soft that the ogive is easily deformed, leading to poor accuracy.

Amax's would be great, they shoot well and are cheap. But reading online, I can't find a consensus on whether they will blow up or just pencil through!

Berger..I just talked with them. Having bought a box of 140 Match Hybrids, they don't recommend it. The tech says some people find them to work, others, they just pencil through. He recommended either shooting into a shoulder bone (don't like that, wastes meat) or trading/selling them and trying either the 140 VLD hunting (with it's finicky seating depth) or trying the new 130 Hybrid AR.

All in all, for target shooting, I want a high BC that will keep me supersonic to 1k at least, maybe 1250 as one class I will take this fall goes to 1250. For hunting, I like a bullet that will pass through, leaving a decent hole. I don't like ruining too much meat, but a pin size hole going through is not good either.

Maybe there just is no way to get both, I don't know. But if that's the case, I'll have target bullets for long range shooting, but then have to resight to hunt with another load. But I'd definitely prefer a solution to cover both, if possible.

Thanks!

I shoot the 140 hybrids at Texas whitetail and hogs and have not had a problem with them penciling thru .gun)

I shoot the 140 hybrids at Texas whitetail and hogs and have not had a problem with them penciling thru .gun)

What are you shooting them out of and at what kind of velocities.

Your experience is particularly applicable as I am in Austin, so central Texas deer are on the menu.

Do you aim for bone, or slip them behind the shoulder?

I have a new 6.5 SLR (almost identical to a .260 Rem capacity/velocity wise), that I built in January, and I shoot the 140 Hybrids, and 140 HVLDs. Both very, very well. I have two loads for the HVLD, a light target load for high volume shooting and a hunting load. I had 263 rounds down the barrel before it hit 100° this spring and got too hot to shoot until September. About 100 for load development, and the rest shooting from 500 to 1770 yards.

140 HVLD w. 41.5gr. H4350 @ 2812 fps from a 27" barrel.
140 HVLD w. 43.0gr. H4350 @ 2930 fps from a 27" barrel.
140 Hybrid w. 43.0gr. H4350 @ 2920 fps from a 27" barrel.

I started showing signs of pressure at 44.0gr., so I backed down. Best groups were at 41.5 & 43.0, with bullets seated at .800" jump to the lands. Both groups shoot sub half MOA no matter what I do. Best group has been 3 shots sub .100". In the .2"s regularly.

I have shot both rounds on steel out to 1371 & 1770 yards with no issues.

I really hope to have my 13 year old daughter try them on mulies and elk this fall, as she is the only one who drew AZ tags this year in my household. Lucky kid.

I like the 140VLD Hunting Bergers as an all around bullet I have used them with good success in both my 260 and 6.5X284 for hunting and competition for several years. They are not only exceptionally accurate but also give excellent terminal performance on game between 1800 and 3000FPS.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with the Berger 130 or 140's. Hornady makes a very accurate bullet too.

As others have said, you can't go wrong with the Berger 130 or 140's. Hornady makes a very accurate bullet too.

Thanks for the replies! I got some advice from MD on 24hour, he likes the Bergers as well. But said the Amax would also work. Since I already have a load for the Amax, think I'll give that a try this year. I do regret buying the 140 hybrids, as the consensus suggests they are not a great choice, might try and sell or trade them for some 140 hunting VLD's and see how those shoot.

But for now, probably just stick with the Amax unless I hear some good things about the 142 ABLR.

Thanks for posting this catorres1. I have been meaning to ask about using a 6.5 creedmoor for elk. Anyone have any experience with using the the VLD or Amax in this caliber. We plan to keep the shots under 400 yards. I've been looking for some ABLR but cant seem to find any.

Any other suggestions for an elk load? It will be my wifes first hunt and hope to give her a good experience.

I think the Amax is a great bullet for target and hunting. I have shot an antelope with a 140 Amax and it did well, in a .260. I have a friend that has shot some deer and an elk with the 140 Amax in a 6.5-284 and they worked great. I can't remember the distance but the elk was 400+.

Thanks for posting this catorres1. I have been meaning to ask about using a 6.5 creedmoor for elk. Anyone have any experience with using the the VLD or Amax in this caliber. We plan to keep the shots under 400 yards. I've been looking for some ABLR but cant seem to find any.

Any other suggestions for an elk load? It will be my wifes first hunt and hope to give her a good experience.

No problem Fez, we all help eachother learn stuff, and I am interested in hearing the answers to your question! Along those lines, I can tell you that as of yesterday, Midway had 6.5 142 ABLR's in stock. They were like 48 a box I think. I actually have a box sitting in my cart, but I decided not to buy just now.

The reason is that I am told they are an extraordinarily soft bullet. I had heard this before, but thought that since Nosler is probably thinking of the 142 to go with the 26 nosler, maybe it would be a bit harder.

But the tech I talked to suggested being careful with them as they are so soft, the ogives are easily damaged. However he may have been talking about other calibers, as he had not gotten his 6.5 creedmore going yet with this bullet. He said he was planning on doing the same I am talking about, that is using that one bullet as both a target and hunting bullet out of his gun. So maybe that's an endorsement, I just don't know. But looking at ballistics, if I remember correctly, shooting that out of my CTR is like shooting it out of the 26 nosler at like 400 yards or something like that. My understanding is that this bullet shines out past 500 or even much farther. Being that I like a hole all the way through, and not overly destructive to meat, I worry about this one, especially if it hits bone.

In doing my research, I read online a few people tell of bending the bullets (in other calibers) easily when trying to remove them from unfired cartridges. So again, not sure this is a bullet for me. But I am really curious to hear from soneone that has actually used them, because if they would maintain at least 50% weight, I could probably live with that, considering how nice it would be to have one bullet for everything.

Just posting my impressions from too much time reading here but it seems there's a lot of negative reports on the 142 LRAB in accuracy, actual BC, and construction.

For strictly elk within 400 yards I'd use a standard 140 AB if they'll shoot and berger 140's for a combo hunting/range bullet.

Just posting my impressions from too much time reading here but it seems there's a lot of negative reports on the 142 LRAB in accuracy, actual BC, and construction.

For strictly elk within 400 yards I'd use a standard 140 AB if they'll shoot and berger 140's for a combo hunting/range bullet.

I'm thinking I'm going to try the 140VLD as soon as I find me a die set. If I can get them to shoot I will use them for hunting and shooting steel. Thanks for everyone's input.

Fez

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.