Target bullets for hunting too?

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by Overkill338, Jun 24, 2019.

Help Support Long Range Hunting by donating:

1. Elkeater

Elkeater Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. The 215s have a good reputation for performing well on game but this one didn’t. To be fair I did shoot another doe that afternoon at about 200 yards as well and the bullet performed perfectly and it was a bang flop. But I have since switched to hammer hunters. They’re more accurate in my rifle anyways.

Overkill338 likes this.
  2. skipglo

skipglo Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

208 eldm in all our 300's as well. Great performance on game!

Overkill338 likes this.
  3. Wolf76

Wolf76 Well-Known Member

The 175 out of a 308 killed a dandy 6x6 @ 403 yards. Went thru the shoulder and exited the opposite side crease.
    The 215 berger out of a 300 wm killed 3 elk for my group at 208, 145, and 166 yards. All exited and only 1 elk took 8 steps, the rest DRT. I have zero reservations about using this bullet. That said, I have no issues with an accubond, or barnes(if they shoot well).
    Broz documented the success of the 210 / 215 Berger and many have confirmed it.
    I'll add the exit hole on elk seems less important to me because they don't run like a deer and bleed poorly due to the big/ deep chest.

muleystalker likes this.
  4. Zuma

Zuma Member

5. Overkill338

Overkill338 Well-Known Member

I think you forgot to type lol

300whisper likes this.
  6. lancetkenyon

lancetkenyon Well-Known Member

All of these examples sound like shooter error to me. Bad hits on game, hitting a twig, jerking the trigger.
    Plus, Berger "Target" bullets have a THICKER jacket than their "Hunting" bullets. So that point is moot too.
    Plus, your grammatical errors are killing me. "AN animal", "Through", "You", "through", "right", "AN ethical hunter".

I will take a well placed target bullet over a poorly placed hunting bullet all day, every day. Actually, I will take a well placed target bullet over a well placed hunting bullet any day too. I know how my loads work.

7. ronstone09

ronstone09 Well-Known Member

I would recommend berger hunting bullets and not hybrid which are designed for target shooting

300whisper likes this.
  8. greatwhitehntr

greatwhitehntr Well-Known Member

190 vld, 210 vld, 230 Berger hybrid,215 hybrid and 225ELDM all bang DRT. I was shooting Bergers before Bergers were cool to shoot and everybody knew about it. That was quite some time ago. Walt Berger did not even condone it.
    There was no such thing as a hunting Berger. SMK's are not a good hunting bullet.
    The best thing I can say to do is, do your own testing satisfy your curiosity ballistics gel,bones and wet newspaper in a box a wet telephone book, whatever you got to do. Then you have a idea of what the bullet somewhat does. Coyotes work really good. Shoot close Shoot far.
    This is a long range hunting forum, I find it unethical that people shoot barns bullets much past 500 yd and we're not in a classroom. Telling people ethics causes a lot of problems. I wish there was a way to get it across to everybody that there should be a general consensus. The problem is to little skill or too much scale and people get overwhelmed or don't want to pay attention.

9. Creedmoor shooter

Creedmoor shooter Well-Known Member

For whitetail and black bear, I'm a huge fan of the eld-match line. Go heavy for caliber at a moderate velocity and you'll be golden. I've shot 2 bears with the 140 eld-m out of the creed and they performed very well. Lost count how many deer we've killed with them.

Overkill338 likes this.
  10. cohunt

cohunt Well-Known Member

has anyone taken game with the new a-tip bullets yet? (lol)

11. skipglo

skipglo Well-Known Member LRH Team Member

You can't go wrong with the 208 eldm! I load them them for FIVE of my friends in 300 wm and for myself 300 Weatherby .350 moa at 200. 500 yards. .450 moa. Shot an Elk last fall at 489 yards that did 3-360s and died on the spot. The 300s seem to love them......the Game however...not so much!

Overkill338 likes this.
  12. Overkill338

I actually like what you said. I've been out from behind my rifles for 7 years. So for this upcoming season, I'm still limiting myself to 200 yards. When I get several hundred rounds under my belt again, and "virgin" buck fever out of the way, then I'll step it out to 400 for the following year.

Long shots are not the norm around here. My longest kill was 386 yards, with this 300 Win I have back in my possession. Due to a lot of drugs and alcohol after my dad died in 2012 (not an excuse, I know), my memory is crap, but I believe that shot was with the old Hornady Heavy Mag with the 180 Interlock. It was literally "bang flop".

13. Kansaswoodguy

Kansaswoodguy Well-Known Member

No I’m waiting for them to come out with the A-holes

therifleman556 and 300whisper like this.
  14. Overkill338

Apparently I missed the joke...