Talk to me about Wildcats

Dang i read through most of this thread and.... well dang...

Have you thought about a Sherman 25 SST. It's not a WSSM but nearly there with what i believe would be easier to feed through a short magnum action. Plus it uses ADG brass which is great stuff. Lots of good info out there about the Shermans and Rich supports them well.

Dang i read through most of this thread and.... well dang...

Have you thought about a Sherman 25 SST. It's not a WSSM but nearly there with what i believe would be easier to feed through a short magnum action. Plus it uses ADG brass which is great stuff. Lots of good info out there about the Shermans and Rich supports them well.
Yeah I have & I may end up going that direction. I just don't really need that much horsepower

No update yet, I spoke with Redding yesterday about having some dies made, they aren't making any custom dies at the moment. I'm sure they are like everyone else trying to keep up with the high demand
On my last wildcat (~3 years ago), I had the reamer done first by Dave Manson Precision Reamers? Sent 3 fired brass fired off the chamber and had John Whidden build me hydraulic and reloading die sets. All these and I am nowhere near the $900.

My gunsmith also gave me the option to use my reamer to cut dies, but I opted for the Whidden route.

This means you might need to redefine your "actual" end goal. If you truly want to explore your original intention, it is doable ... and do not let anyone tell you otherwise.
Thanks FEENIX, I would really like pursue this. And I have full intention on doing so. It's not hard to get discouraged after talking to some people though lol

Thanks FEENIX, I would really like pursue this. And I have full intention on doing so. It's not hard to get discouraged after talking to some people though lol
That is one reason "I" never asked what rifle to build or buy. Most wildcatters, if not all, will pursue their passion without outside influences. Good luck!

I have and have seen the TAC 50 he used. It is in Calgary with the owners, the PPCLI
The McMillan TAC-50 is a manually operated, rotary bolt-action rifle. The large bolt has dual front locking lugs, and its body has spiral flutes to reduce weight. The heavy match-grade barrel, made by Lilja barrels, is also fluted to dissipate heat quickly and reduce overall weight, and fitted with an effective muzzle brake to reduce recoil. The rifle is fed from detachable box magazines, holding 5 rounds each. The stock is made from fiberglass by McMillan Stocks, and is designed to be used from a bipod only. The buttstock is adjustable for length of pull with rubber spacers, and can be removed for compact storage. The rifle has no open sights; it can be used with a variety of telescopic or night sights. I have used this rifle and this is correct

Take not that 4 or the 5 longest sniper kills were made by Canucks.
Take note that is
The McMillan TAC-50 is a manually operated, rotary bolt-action rifle. The large bolt has dual front locking lugs, and its body has spiral flutes to reduce weight. The heavy match-grade barrel, made by Lilja barrels, is also fluted to dissipate heat quickly and reduce overall weight, and fitted with an effective muzzle brake to reduce recoil. The rifle is fed from detachable box magazines, holding 5 rounds each. The stock is made from fiberglass by McMillan Stocks, and is designed to be used from a bipod only. The buttstock is adjustable for length of pull with rubber spacers, and can be removed for compact storage. The rifle has no open sights; it can be used with a variety of telescopic or night sights.
Yes, but PPCLI orders theirs as single shots. Not a big issue and saves making a magazine cutout.

Recent Posts