Talk to me about 8mm cartridges and bullets

I agree with that. I have had a couple of 30'06's with 24" barrels that were close to 2900 with 180's that seemed to be perfectly safe loads so 2700 with a 200 in an 857 doesn't sound impossible
That 358 Norma is weak in American data for example but Norma has data showing a 250 soft point at basically 2900. That'll stomp!

Got my eyes on another old BRNO bolt gun in 8mm mauser on auction but don't care what cartridge you shoot, 8mm mauser, 8-06, 325 wsm, 8mm rem mag….

These aren't very common at all as the 30 cal is so close and so popular BUT it seems like there is a certain X factor to the 8mms, don't know what it is…and now I want this old 8x57 and just figured I'd open up dialogue.

Any 8mm-anything shooters on here? What do you like or dislike about the caliber? Advantages or disadvantages Compared to 30 cal?

What projectiles in this diameter stand out as winners or favourites to you?
I have a 8mm06AI.with imr4320 and 200 partitions 210 primers it shoots 1.25" groups.

Ah yes they really have a knack for shooting themselves in the foot (hopefully not literally)

Let's design the perfect 6mm deer hunting cartridge but only stabilize varmint bullets. And call it twomdifffernt names

Let's design an admittedly superior answer to the 270, the 280 rem, but then load it weak and put it in a freaking auto loader! And again, call it two different names!!!

Let's design the 7mm rem mag to be significantly weaker than the mashburn it was inspired by and then give it a short throat and a low saami pressure so that a freaking .270 is right on its heels, rendering it kind of redundant.

Let's make a 6.5 creed years before the 6.5 creed (260 rem) and then just sit on it and in no way promote or support it or even mention the thing.

Let's design short mags that have less oal issues than the wsm series but again just be so late to the party it don't matter.

They have good ideas and horrible execution.

Best things they've done is legitimized wildcats. The .22-250, .25-06, and 7stw could well be their greatest cartridges. And the RUMs
Let's not even mention the 6.5 and 350 Remington Magnums, both excellent that were botched completely thanks to the roll out in the 600/660 series. I would love for them to bring back a handy little woods carbine like the 600/660 in 350 Remington Mag with a nice laminated stock and iron sights but leave the plastic trigger guard and shark fin at home please.

My opinion...too few options. Bullet selection is limited. Good brass for the few available chamberings is limited. Loaded ammo is nearly non-existant.
Granted, I have only shot one single 325WSM.

Step down to .308 or up to .338 and your options multiply exponentially.

So now I must ask…from those who have used both…is there a noticable difference in how emphatic these things are on big came compared to the 30 cals? The data would say no, it's not even 2 hundredths of an inch diff, but real world field experience sometimes tells a different story.

I've encountered a number of times the assertion that .35 cals just thump different than .33s, and have observed myself that 30s seem to have more raw smashing power than the 7mms….

And the difference between the .22s and 6mms is huge with ordinary bullets.

Good questions. Like I said in an earlier post, one mature bison cow is all I've shot with my 8mm so can't claim expert status there. Craig Boddington, love him or hate him has written chapters on his 8 mags.
LanceTKenyon makes some valid points about component availability

I have a CZ with the double trigger in 8x57 and love it! Use either Barnes 180 or Hornady 170 sst, pushed with a fair douse of CFE 223. Very accurate, but not the ultra long range rifle.

I love my 325 WSM. This was a group I shot just doing some load development. I only bought Partitions becasue I couldn't find any of the AccuBonds. Ended up buying a bunch of AccuBonds and haven't revisited the Partition load. This is a sub-8lb rifle, with optics, no brake, it's a whopper on the shoulder but for some reason I love shooting it.

Attachments

• 8432E957-8DFA-48F9-A683-C4ADC8DD627D.jpeg
    8432E957-8DFA-48F9-A683-C4ADC8DD627D.jpeg
    72.6 KB · Views: 77
Got my eyes on another old BRNO bolt gun in 8mm mauser on auction but don't care what cartridge you shoot, 8mm mauser, 8-06, 325 wsm, 8mm rem mag….

These aren't very common at all as the 30 cal is so close and so popular BUT it seems like there is a certain X factor to the 8mms, don't know what it is…and now I want this old 8x57 and just figured I'd open up dialogue.

Any 8mm-anything shooters on here? What do you like or dislike about the caliber? Advantages or disadvantages Compared to 30 cal?

What projectiles in this diameter stand out as winners or favourites to you?
I have two 8-06 Ackley Improved and a 8mm REM. Mag. I shoot 200 grain Speer bullets at 2800 fps between 1/2 and 3/4 at 100. My wife has taken 8 elk and 2 oryx with 1 shot each. All were DRT. I have taken numerous elk and oryx with the 8mag with 220 gr. Hornady bullets at 3025 fps. It shoots about the same as the 8-06 AI's but his much harder. Both are outstanding churning cartridges.

I have two 700's in 8mm. One is a classic. They shoot the 200 gr accubonds and partition very well. I have a bunch of factory core lok ammo too.

I started shooting the 8x57 in 1963....my first centerfire rifle. Shot a good many white tails with it. When barely over 20 yr old, I shot my longest shot with it. 347 yds (approximately). I still have the old girl in the safe and shoot her maybe once each year just to keep her in shape.

To the nay sayers: regardless of popular belief, there are a buttload of suitable bullets available now days. Of course, if you don't own and shoot an 8 you wouldn't know this.

I love my 325 WSM. This was a group I shot just doing some load development. I only bought Partitions becasue I couldn't find any of the AccuBonds. Ended up buying a bunch of AccuBonds and haven't revisited the Partition load. This is a sub-8lb rifle, with optics, no brake, it's a whopper on the shoulder but for some reason I love shooting it.
Are you using H4350?