Talk me out of the 7mm wsm

You'll need three times as much mediocre brass vs using something with quality brass, getting hung up on brass cost is not something that pencils out in reality especially if you value your labor at all. I'm very cost miserly on brass and I'll run 20 pieces of the highest quality brass and be just fine vs buying 100's of pieces and sorting then fixing and throwing them away in a 1/4 of the firings the good brass will go.
The 7 SAUM is a slam dunk with the ADG brass being $1.56 it's just an awesome way to go with a proven accuracy cartridge that you can get into a short action with a little compromise. It would have very little compromise in a Savage short action, Rem would need a Bainey box and there is zero compromise.

You'll need three times as much mediocre brass vs using something with quality brass, getting hung up on brass cost is not something that pencils out in reality especially if you value your labor at all. I'm very cost miserly on brass and I'll run 20 pieces of the highest quality brass and be just fine vs buying 100's of pieces and sorting then fixing and throwing them away in a 1/4 of the firings the good brass will go.
The 7 SAUM is a slam dunk with the ADG brass being $1.56 it's just an awesome way to go with a proven accuracy cartridge that you can get into a short action with a little compromise. It would have very little compromise in a Savage short action, Rem would need a Bainey box and there is zero compromise.

No...you have a good point. ADG brass isn't overpriced in the grand scheme of things. The SAUM is something I probably too quickly dismissed.

Your heart's in the right place figuring to be able to utilize factory ammo. But in this game does it really matter? The last three serious rifles I've owned never lit one round of factory stuff. Some guys load for economy, others for maximum precision. I've gone both ways. Even with 243; there's no way on God's green earth that I'm going to pay a buck a round for it. Not when people are all to happy to give me their used brass.

On the other hand; for the bigger rounds why would I spend almost 2 bucks a round for mediocre factory when I can load cheaper with better bullets.

Your heart's in the right place figuring to be able to utilize factory ammo. But in this game does it really matter? The last three serious rifles I've owned never lit one round of factory stuff. Some guys load for economy, others for maximum precision. I've gone both ways. Even with 243; there's no way on God's green earth that I'm going to pay a buck a round for it. Not when people are all to happy to give me their used brass.

On the other hand; for the bigger rounds why would I spend almost 2 bucks a round for mediocre factory when I can load cheaper with better bullets.

Yeah...you all have great points...but this is talking me back into a 7mm-08 or a 300WSM. I loved the idea of throwing a 7mm projectile 3000 fps out of the SA. But at the end of the day, I just want a good hunting long range hunting barrel.

I hate the idea of being solely dependent on my hand loads (since I'm still learning and honestly not that good yet).

Yeah...you all have great points...but this is talking me back into a 7mm-08 or a 300WSM. I loved the idea of throwing a 7mm projectile 3000 fps out of the SA. But at the end of the day, I just want a good hunting long range hunting barrel.

I hate the idea of being solely dependent on my hand loads (since I'm still learning and honestly not that good yet).
I think you're on track with a 7mm, I'd recommend sticking with either the 7 wsm or 7 saum.
Do a little research, guys are still getting 2900 + running the 7 wsm in a SA with 180's.
it's a serious long range hammer.
It looks like a savage SA will feed up to 3.0", if that's the case you can definitely start seeing some good velocity with a custom throated barrel.

How many people that reload seriously actually use a bunch of random used brass vs buying 100 pieces of 1 lot of good brass. I know i have saved most of the brass i have ever shot thinking one day im going to reload. Now that im beginning to reload other than for practice, i have not even considered my misc saved brass.

A neutered WSM still beats a souped up 7mm-08. I think you might've been better off not asking and just building it. You'd probably be more than happy with it's performance. It sounds like you're in the right track for what your needs & wants are.

Forgive my ignorance but are you saying if I bought 60-100 rounds of Federal or Winchester 7WSM factory loads, that the brass isn't worth saving and reloading?

Maybe this is why my 300wm reloads aren't any better than factory groups?

Buy one or the other if you're going to reload them. Not both. Either brand will be plenty good enough to hone your reloading skills. They'll both more than likely give you plenty of practice prepping brass.

Way off topic but relevant in my opinion.

I have only been reloading now for about a year. I am still learning and practicing as well. The great thing about this group of people on the forum is they are all willing to help. I am using standard equipment, nothing fancy at all and producing very fine ammunition. This article is basically my reloading bible. It was shared to me by a member here so I will pass it along.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/editorial/ammunition_practical_precision_reloading_102710/99822

If your brass is poor everything else behind it will be, a hummer barrel will shoot like a shot gun if your brass is all over the map for consistency. Often you'll see one firing shoot well the you'll exactly duplicate the load and it shoots different, crappier brass needs more work to bring out the accuracy, sorting, annealing, turning all are more critical the lower the quality brass to try to achieve ammo that is equal to the barrels potential.

A Savage short action magazine only holds 2 rounds. You have to carry 1 in the chamber for a 3 round loaded rifle....
Dark Eagle Customs makes a great extended magazine for the Savage DBM though. It will hold 5 rounds. If you go WSM on a Savage call Dark Eagle Customs to see if they still make the magazines. They are great. I have one for my Savage 300 WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts