Talk me out of the 7mm wsm

GreenDecoy

Howdy folks,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got a Savage 16 short action needing a new barrel. I've got 30 cals and 6.5s but I've been thinking about the 7mm due the bullet selection. I want a long-range capable elk rifle so I definitely want more velocity than a 7-08. I'd rather have a 280AI or 28 Nosler, but I'm stuck with the SA.

I've thought about the 6.5-284 and the 7mm RSAUM. But I can readily find factory loads in 7WSM and I'll reload whatever after I get some brass.

I'm looking at Shilens but orders take 8-12 weeks...anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

Have you checked to make sure you could feed 7WSM with heavy bullets set close to the lands? Or are you OK having to single load? One downside of the WSMs is they can be too long with heavy bullets to mag feed from a SA in some configurations. I used to steer people away from 7WSM due to brass availability, but apparently it's gotten better the last year or two.

The RSAUM is a true short action round. If you want a repeater I'd strongly consider that direction...if you can confirm a reliable supply of brass. Many years ago, before Remington had even totally abandoned the RSAUM line, I had to choose between a 300WM and RSAUM. The deciding factor was a full selection of factory ammo on the shelf for the WM and a SINGLE BOX of RSAUM. Not that I buy factory ammo, but on a hunt one may need to, and it's predictive of brass supply. Don't regret getting the LA 300WM...

I have a 7mm WSM with a BRUX cut rifled bbl. I guess its really tight or something ,but its a fast bbl . 69grs of Re#26 pushes a 162gr Amax 3200 FPS 69grs of Re#19 I've pushed 139 gr SST at 3400+ .All my semi custom rifles have cut rifled bbls on them .

Howdy folks,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got a Savage 16 short action needing a new barrel. I've got 30 cals and 6.5s but I've been thinking about the 7mm due the bullet selection. I want a long-range capable elk rifle so I definitely want more velocity than a 7-08. I'd rather have a 280AI or 28 Nosler, but I'm stuck with the SA.

I've thought about the 6.5-284 and the 7mm RSAUM. But I can readily find factory loads in 7WSM and I'll reload whatever after I get some brass.

I'm looking at Shilens but orders take 8-12 weeks...anything else I should consider?

Thanks!

7wsm is awesome. No need to be talked out of it. I had one in an xbolt - I didn't have a problem fitting the heavier bullets into the mag.

The RSAUM is a true short action round.

Meaning what? I'm genuinely curious; if you're using a short action and are limited to sub-3.00" o.a.l what's the difference if you're shooting a WSM that the bullet is somewhat in the powder space or a saum that doesn't have that space? Seems to me you're still pushing the same bullet with a very similar powder charge.

If I was looking at short action magnums I would look at the Sherman shorts or Sherman short tacticals.
https://shermanwildcatcartridges.com/
Everybody says this, but the brass is expensive and the reloading process is more of a PITA...they are great for what they are, but as long as you have to fireform and pay a buttload for brass, the advantages might not outweigh the additional time and money to own one. I am not convinced it has a whole lot more to offer over a 7wsm does it?

The RSAUM will run shorter than the WSM. The Sherman will run shorter than the RSAUM. They are all in the same ball park velocity wise. It all comes down to your bullet preference and mag space.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts