Talk me out of an nx8.

Z-Gunner

Soooo....

Some pretext. I'm starting to take my shooting to another level. Have a few variables at play: this is going on my practice rig, a 26" barreled 700 in 308; new chassis only has a couple hundred rounds of me driving it, not quite sold on the configuration; it wears a Nikon 4-16 bdc currently, not terrible but definitely not great. I struggle with the Nikon at full power & past 350-400 yards. The scope in question is an nx8 4-32 with a tremor3 retical. I mostly train prone, then sitting both on a bipod. My approach to training & improvement is more of a tactical approach, my shooting buddy (coach) is from the socom world. He's been using horus reticals for years, I've put a few hundred rounds through them & came to a few conclusions about them. Albeit, takes some (a bunch of) getting used to the clutter; once acquainted with has some real world advantages, get target in sight, range, wind, hold, send it, target never left the sight picture. Honestly, getting my brain wrapped around mil's took more than a tremor/ horus.

I've actually used the specific scope in question a fair bit on a very similar rifle in .308, & like it. I've had the opportunity to get behind a mk5hd a few times & an atcar with the same retical, liked them just as much if not more. The no brainer about the conundrum is that I can get the nx8 for a song & a dance; my buddy's wife wants to remodel their bathroom, and offered me a trade deal.

I like the idea of transitioning, no not like a blue hair; into the tremor3 for building my skill set. Also appealing to me is its shortness/ footprint, can see putting it on a gopher blaster or an ar10 hog gun.

If you can't tell yet: I'm hard leaning toward the nx8 for my purpose; but openly welcome input, criticism & opinions. I can always sell the nx8 to change it up, or keep it & upgrade my glass this spring as planned. My optics fund should be to about 2k by April.

I'm no F class or elr shooter, don't claim to nor want to. I just want to become more proficient at 400-1000 yard shots & acquisitions. If I can have fun with a .308 doing so for the next couple years I'll be ecstatic.

Thank you for your time & consideration folks, Z

Sorry I can't talk you out of the NX8. I also have the 4-32 and it works great for me. If you got a killer deal worked out with your friend why not get it? I know some guys don't like the eye box. Say the glass isn't the best etc. But for the money they are a solid scope, with good bang for the buck and not super heavy.

Beeman,

What platform is yours on, retical, caliber, & type of shooting/ hunting do you do?

I'll end up with it one way or another, just too good of a deal to pass up. I can work a couple half days, plumbing his bathroom, & buy it for a grand; do the tile work too & he'll be paying me to take it; do the entire project, get the scope & make some decent coin on top.

Thanks, Z

It is the MOA and sits on a 23" barreled 280 AI. Running 140 AH at 3300 FPS. Most game is shot under 600 yds. I shoot steel mostly at 500 yds. But can shoot out to 910 yds on my property. Rifle was built for whitetail and elk hunting.

Feenix,
A couple of life lessons have always done right by me: treat others, especially elders, with respect; never leave a woman dissatisfied; both equally important.
Met my buddy years ago at a local range. Sir, may I please, & thank you kindly were words out of my mouth in the first two minutes of meeting him. Been a good friend to me ever since. Z

Beeman,
A 23" 280 ackley sounds the bee's knees for a mountain gun. I've considered that cartridge many a time, but have yet to jump down the wildcat rabbit hole. Z

Feenix,
A couple of life lessons have always done right by me: treat others, especially elders, with respect; never leave a woman dissatisfied; both equally important.
Met my buddy years ago at a local range. Sir, may I please, & thank you kindly were words out of my mouth in the first two minutes of meeting him. Been a good friend to me ever since. Z
I know what you mean; good friends are hard to come by these days.

My best try. Save the money to spend on so many other NEEDS. There adre lots of high quality scopes available for much less. I love using my non bling bling (NF is quality) gear to run with the bling bling crowd.

Reelamin,

I NEED better glass on this rig. It's more or less being given to me: I've used it & like it allot; was on the short list for a planned upgrade in a few months anyway, which is why it was offered. I can care less about bling: if I keep it, most likely will, it'll see some krylon; be used for what it is, a tool. I'm the guy with an $800 truck & $1500 worth of rubber under it. Z

Barter deals are usually great for both parties as long as both understand true value of what is being exchanged, a lot of my good stuff and a lot of my bulk stuff was barter goods. Fair deals will bring more opportunities too, with that guy and others from his circle.

I will poo-poo the NX8 a little for you. It's kinda goofy looking, being compact in length but still full figured in diameter. There is better glass out there, clearer and better in low light, if you have the $$ OR if you are willing to be somewhat of a guinea pig for the lesser known brands that aren't out there in large quantities with long histories yet. Hope the negatives help.

That is really all I have for negatives on the NX8, I could probably come up with something else if I tried but..... It's a very good scope for what you are wanting to do, in fact I think it is an EXCELLENT choice. I like the reticle too. Using a 308 for your LR training is also an excellent choice, a 308 will make you work for hits and work hard if windy or long where other cartridges simplify that a ton and detract IMO from the learning available. As long as you and the other guy both believe you are getting the value you bringing to the deal out I don't see how you can lose, in your situation I would be moving forward. I don't need or really want the NX8 for myself but you never know when a blind rifle will show up or some trade bait will be needed......

I fought going the route of NF for several years as they're very trendy in my circle (not because they aren't a great scope) and only have one 4-32x50 with mil-xt reticle. I wasn't trying to avoid NF per se but there's a bunch of friends of mine that claim it's the only mid to high end scope worth shooting which is completely false IMO.

I own a good amount of different kind of mid to high end scopes 1k-4k range and as much as I wanted to stay off the NF bandwagon for 2,150 it's a great scope with solid value. The tracking on it is fantastic… the glass for the price range is great, turrets have stayed true whether at the range or banging it around in the mountains. The magnification lever makes it so easy to change… I like the reticle and if you're into the illumination you can go red or green and it's definitely bright. I've got it on my 300 PRC ultralight mountain rifle and it handles that recoil easily.

On a scope with such magnification range you're obviously giving a couple of things up (tiny crosshair at 4x) but if you're looking for something with high mag range in that price range FFP I don't think you can argue there's a clear better option than the NX8 though it's not your only option.

If you're not used to mid to higher end scopes I don't see how you'd be disappointed but it might end up being a gateway drug for you.

Good luck

HSmithTX,

I do love to barter. Always seems like charity with the guy in question, but (that means everything I said before but doesn't mean squat) we always help each other out.
I don't mind the figure in the least. Something about a thick calf shank has always turned me on. I'm all too well aware of better glass; I have some of it; range buddies, some with more into the sport/ addiction than I have in all my worldly possessions, that let me drive 10k+ rigs with glass I can't justify for my uses.

I do love shooting the 308 for long range stuff. Have to work for it, but so many before me already did all the hard work before me. My buddy in respect, has more full safes than I have guns; with all his toys I don't think I've ever seen him on a range without a .308, usually his old 40x that's seen more barrels than I have seen kitty cats (VHS, DVDs, & internet excluded). Looking forward to all the glass time I want behind a tremor3, I think it'll be awesome small game hunting prarie dogs, coyotes & hogs. Z

338weatherby,

What do you have them on & what are you shooting at? I've only had the nx8 on paper & steel. Z

Recent Posts