Talk me out of barrel fluting

Seriously. I am probably the least experienced guy on this thead.Maybe this forum. I don't know what the maximum weight saving is from fluting. Im gonna just say 1 pound.
Ok. If I take two identical rifles except one has a fluted barrel and one doesn't, and someone else packs ur gear or even puts the rifle in a sleeve so u don't know which one is which, how many think that they will actually be able to tell which one is which after a few hours of tredging around in the woods? One pound??
Even if the only thing that you have to carry is the rifle and the clothes on ur back and ur boots. Really? One pound?
If you like how it makes ur baby look. Do it. If you can shoot a little better because you think it makes ur barrel a little more accurate. Do it. I have been on plenty of miserable hunts with straps digging in all the wrong places. Cold, wet, muscles on fire. A pound don't mean s##t.
Leave the barrel alone and get a good wide soft sling that stays put.

Like you started you post. You lack experience. I can tell the difference the second I pick up my Weatherby Mark V six lug Ultralight .270 and my Weatherby Mark V six lug Ultralight 6.5SLR. The .270 weighs 7lb 14 1/2 oz and the 6.5SLR weighs 7lb 4oz. That's only ten ounces. I mention the kind of rifle so you don't think it's one brand over another for me.

By the way, I don't use a shoulder strap except when glassing. The rest of the time the rifle is in one hand or the other.

What it's going to cost to buy the barrel and have it fluted, you might as well just buy a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel at 26" and have it fitted to your action. Saves weight, and performs like a bull barrel.
Proof sendero 3 lbs. 4 oz.
Proof sendero light 3 lbs. 1/2 oz.
Bartlein #3 unfluted 3.5 lbs all at 26 " so not saving much weight to begin with. Depending on how much weight fluting cuts you may not save any at all and proof is twice the cost of a Bartlein including fluting.
Because seven ounces is a game breaker. Hit the gym there hommie and carry a man's gun.
Do you elk hunt in the high country "hommie"? There might not be a great difference In 7oz. But they do add up. Especially when you are traversing several thousand vertical feet.
Last year I hunted with my brother-in-law a former Marine. His pack was around 8lbs heavier and his gun was probably 2lbs heavier. We switched packs and guns for a while so he could try my pack with my gun attached. I could tell the difference right away. Not just in the weight but the way it rode in his cheap pack.
If you want to shave a bit of weight and like the looks, go for it. You may not save a bunch on a #3 but if you have a finished weight in mind that weight may help get you there. Good luck and have fun on your elk hunt.

Putting together a lighterweight elk rifle and trying to justify fluting the thing

700 action
#3 bartlein
Mcmillan game scout
Standard bdl bottom metal

Gonna chamber it in 300win and will be finishing the barrel at 25" and adding a Radial style brake (vias)

To flute or not to flute..... How much weight do you think I could shave?

Worth it or not???
At best you're talking about a few ounces of weight savings but for the cost I'd definitely go with fluting. When you're doing a build it's minimal expense. I'd talk you out of the vias brake though. Radial brakes can be a real problem when shooting prone in the field.

Putting together a lighterweight elk rifle and trying to justify fluting the thing

700 action
#3 bartlein
Mcmillan game scout
Standard bdl bottom metal

Gonna chamber it in 300win and will be finishing the barrel at 25" and adding a Radial style brake (vias)

To flute or not to flute..... How much weight do you think I could shave?

Worth it or not???

Like everyone I will give you my take/opinion on fluting.

There are many ways to save weight on a rifle, most fluting only save you 10 to 12 Oz on light weight/contoured barrels. only heavy contours/tapers see much difference is the weight.

Carbon fiber stocks can save this much and more and don't effect the integrity of the barrel. Rifle scopes vary more than 10 to 12 Oz in weight and can save as much as 1 to 2 pounds in some cases.

Also a set of rings and bases can weigh a significantly more than a picatinny rail that screws directly to the action. so there are many other ways to save weight if that is the goal.

I have both fluted and non fluted barrels and like all of them for there intended use. the only fluted barrels that I have are all over # 5 contours and they look good and shoot good. Lighter barrel can suffer from being fluted when heavy bullets are fired in them (They tend to unwind in the direction of the rifling) causing inconsistences.

I do recommend that If you want a barrel fluted, have the barrel maker do it, then it is under his warranty.

This is just my opinion on fluting.

J E CUSTOM

Like everyone I will give you my take/opinion on fluting.

There are many ways to save weight on a rifle, most fluting only save you 10 to 12 Oz on light weight/contoured barrels. only heavy contours/tapers see much difference is the weight.

Carbon fiber stocks can save this much and more and don't effect the integrity of the barrel. Rifle scopes vary more than 10 to 12 Oz in weight and can save as much as 1 to 2 pounds in some cases.

Also a set of rings and bases can weigh a significantly more than a picatinny rail that screws directly to the action. so there are many other ways to save weight if that is the goal.

I have both fluted and non fluted barrels and like all of them for there intended use. the only fluted barrels that I have are all over # 5 contours and they look good and shoot good. Lighter barrel can suffer from being fluted when heavy bullets are fired in them (They tend to unwind in the direction of the rifling) causing inconsistences.

I do recommend that If you want a barrel fluted, have the barrel maker do it, then it is under his warranty.

This is just my opinion on fluting.

J E CUSTOM

Couldn't agree more!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.