Talk me out of barrel fluting

Accuracy will be effected ! if weight is your problem with rifle go to Gym and workout !
I am 75 and never found a gun to heavy , Lighten the load you are carrying in back pack . Better yet hire a porter to carry the gun . I carried a M60 at age 26/27 never bothered me and I weighed 140 lbs 1968/69 !

Good for you !

Lets be practical ,,, there is only so much time in life and this guy, prob wants to spend it at the gun range instead of the Gym !!!!

Good for you !

Lets be practical ,,, there is only so much time in life and this guy, prob wants to spend it at the gun range instead of the Gym !!!!

Exactly! In 1966 I weighed 149 pounds. I curled 150 pounds, military pressed 200 pounds, and bench pressed 300 pounds. I still work out a little, but I hate rifles over 7 pounds. Gyms take time and money that could be used on powder, bullets, primer, a new scope or many other gun related things.

I am all about being practical but if the OP only wants to spend it at the the gun range then a few ounces should not matter much. :cool:

This 55 year young wants to be able hunt (esp. going after elk) for as long as I can ... and for that I watch what I eat and spend time in the gym at least 3X/week, nothing elaborate ... ~30-45 minutes of cardio and ~30 in weights (more like toning than anything).

I understand gym time is not for everybody but it has helped me tremendously when carrying my ~10 lbs rifle and ~20-30 back pack with 1.5L of water (can shave off weight here) while going after elk on Montana's wilderness ... just saying. :):Dgun)

At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference and we must all respect that regardless. You gotta love America where we still have plenty of choices that we can make.

Cheers!

I am all about being practical but if the OP only wants to spend it at the the gun range then a few ounces should not matter much. :cool:

This 55 year young wants to be able hunt (esp. going after elk) for as long as I can ... and for that I watch what I eat and spend time in the gym at least 3X/week, nothing elaborate ... ~30-45 minutes of cardio and ~30 in weights (more like toning than anything).

I understand gym time is not for everybody but it has helped me tremendously when carrying my ~10 lbs rifle and ~20-30 back pack with 1.5L of water (can shave off weight here) while going after elk on Montana's wilderness ... just saying. :):Dgun)

At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference and we must all respect that regardless. You gotta love America where we still have plenty of choices that we can make.

Cheers!

Well like myself ,,, i have heavy varmint rigs 25-06 and .223 that shoot 1/4 inch groups that weigh in excess of 11 lbs,,, do i pack them to hunt yotes , OH heck no !!! ,,,,I pack 7 lb pencil barrel AR that will do about 1/2 groups...

And if hunted Elk i would be packing my 8lb 11oz scoped 30-06. (Light is right !) Im an old Fart, fat and slow NOT a Boy Scout !

Back pack what the HE double L is that for,,, besides playing like I am a PRO Hunter ?

And water why would i need to pack water, when its all over the darn place ! A big pack of jerky and 5 rounds of ammo and my rifle is all i need to pack !

OK i lied, i sneak an extra 5 rounds in my back pocket just in case ,,,, cuz i aint as good a shot i used to be !

Well like myself ,,, i have heavy varmint rigs 25-06 and .223 that shoot 1/4 inch groups that weigh in excess of 11 lbs,,, do i pack them to hunt yotes , OH heck no !!! ,,,,I pack 7 lb pencil barrel AR that will do about 1/2 groups...

And if hunted Elk i would be packing my 8lb 11oz scoped 30-06. (Light is right !) Im an old Fart, fat and slow NOT a Boy Scout !

Back pack what the HE double L is that for,,, besides playing like I am a PRO Hunter ?

And water why would i need to pack water, when its all over the darn place ! A big pack of jerky and 5 rounds of ammo and my rifle is all i need to pack !

OK i lied, i sneak an extra 5 rounds in my back pocket just in case ,,,, cuz i aint as good a shot i used to be !

Like I said ...

At the end of the day, it boils down to personal preference and we must all respect that regardless.

unnamed.jpg

I did notice my barrel cooled down faster, but other than that its just a cool factor.

I have had fluted barrels on the each of limited number of custom rifles I have own to date (3). I have not been able to ascertain if the fluting caused any issues or not during range sessions, which is not surprising given the number of variables effecting precision shooting.
Carl Zant wrote a chapter in Bryan Litz's Vol 2 Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting that covered Advancements in Barrel Technology. Here is one of the referenced chapter summary findings: " Fluted barrels showed measurably more POI shift compared to barrels of the same contour that were not fluted." If I remember correctly the degree to which POI shift occurred in the testing varied by barrel manufacturer.
When I sent my GAP 300WM off to be re-barreled last year, I opted to go with no fluting. My logic wasn't over weight savings or cost of the fluting. I looked at it as I had well over $5k in rifle and scope and I did not want to potentially introduce any additional variables that might effect accuracy. This doesn't mean I will rush out and change out the barrels on my other rifles, or that lots of other people don't have fluted barrels that shot extremely well.

The amount of weight your are going to lose is a non factor. I would never under any circumstances intentionally shave meat off of a premier barrel. The rumor that is makes the barrel stiffer is only true when you compare it to a diameter that would be equal to the flutes. In essence a #3 fluted is stuffer than a #2. But it is much more likely to flex than a #3 that's not been tampered with. Have you considered the heat that's going to generated in a #3 from a 300 wm? Personally I've never gone below a #5 Douglas, or a 3B Bartlein. Just food for thought.

The amount of weight your are going to lose is a non factor.

When one starts with a goal of a rifle that weighs under seven pounds and wants to use a 22 ounce scope fluting can make a significant difference. Twisted Barrel took seven ounces off my barrel with fluting. And the barrel is the lightest contour Weatherby puts on their six lug action.

When one starts with a goal of a rifle that weighs under seven pounds and wants to use a 22 ounce scope fluting can make a significant difference. Twisted Barrel took seven ounces off my barrel with fluting. And the barrel is the lightest contour Weatherby puts on their six lug action.

Because seven ounces is a game breaker. Hit the gym there hommie and carry a man's gun.

Because seven ounces is a game breaker. Hit the gym there hommie and carry a man's gun.

When you shave seven ounces from the barrel, three ounces from the recoil pad, one from the brake, twelve ounces from the stock, two & a half ounces from the rings and mounts, and four ounces from the sling they add up to no need to hit the gym for an old man like me with a damaged shoulder and a messed up biceps. Perhaps hitting the gym works for the vast majority of people; even old folks. But some are stuck where they are and make the most of it to continue playing with guns. Kind of like a guy who gets blinded in his right eye. He has to accommodate his playing by switching to the other eye.

Seriously. I am probably the least experienced guy on this thead.Maybe this forum. I don't know what the maximum weight saving is from fluting. Im gonna just say 1 pound.
Ok. If I take two identical rifles except one has a fluted barrel and one doesn't, and someone else packs ur gear or even puts the rifle in a sleeve so u don't know which one is which, how many think that they will actually be able to tell which one is which after a few hours of tredging around in the woods? One pound??
Even if the only thing that you have to carry is the rifle and the clothes on ur back and ur boots. Really? One pound?
If you like how it makes ur baby look. Do it. If you can shoot a little better because you think it makes ur barrel a little more accurate. Do it. I have been on plenty of miserable hunts with straps digging in all the wrong places. Cold, wet, muscles on fire. A pound don't mean s##t.
Leave the barrel alone and get a good wide soft sling that stays put.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.