Talk me out of the 7mm wsm

Everybody says this, but the brass is expensive and the reloading process is more of a PITA...they are great for what they are, but as long as you have to fireform and pay a buttload for brass, the advantages might not outweigh the additional time and money to own one. I am not convinced it has a whole lot more to offer over a 7wsm does it?

It won't kill a critter any deader. For me the big difference is being able to load the case to its absolute most efficient level and still run it in a short action. You can do this and still run the long high BC bullets. It's all about efficiency and the ability to use a short action.

I just rebarelled my savage 16. I went with the 7mm saum in a bartlein sendero. I ordered my barrel from bugholes.com. He was good to work with and was fast. He actually beat my reloading dies here. I can't wait for them to get here so I can start putting some rounds through it.

Everybody says this, but the brass is expensive and the reloading process is more of a PITA...they are great for what they are, but as long as you have to fireform and pay a buttload for brass, the advantages might not outweigh the additional time and money to own one. I am not convinced it has a whole lot more to offer over a 7wsm does it?
I have thought along the same lines with the brass. But the reloading should be the same as you can buy the brass already formed. Maybe I am off but I think the SST brass is ready to go as soon as you get it. I only hesitate on the brass and die cost. The performance is pretty awesome though.

I have thought along the same lines with the brass. But the reloading should be the same as you can buy the brass already formed. Maybe I am off but I think the SST brass is ready to go as soon as you get it. I only hesitate on the brass and die cost. The performance is pretty awesome though.

You could be right with the SST - I am pretty sure you still have to fireform the 7ss

With the ADG 7 SS brass 50 will last a hunter the life of a barrel easy, good dies cost money and I'm buying dies one way or the other.
Out of all the 7mms I have built the 7 WSM has never been a request, the 7 SS is the most requested in a short action followed by the SAUM.

Wow total ignorance abounds...
Saying the 7 wsm is dead because one guy doesn't get any requests to build one is laughable!
Here's why it's never going to die;
1) if loaded to saami specs it's still going to push a 180 faster than any saum based 7mm.
2) If built on a long action it'll push a 180 at custom throated 7 Rm velocities in a more efficient non belted case.
3) WSM's have all proven to be extremely accurate cartridges
4) Brass offerings are improving, still no premium brass but new brass offerings does not equal dead cartridge.

I had a 7wsm but I sold it. I love the 7 short magnums. Everyone is talking about the 7ss like it's special but I don't buy the hype. If I build another 7 it will be a 7-300wsm. That way you can use 270 wsm brass and just seat your bullet and go. No fireform nonsense, best case capacity, and great Norma brass seems like a clear winner to me. I bought a reamer and headspace gauges a couple years ago but I've been on a 6.5 kick lately so I haven't ever used it.

Last edited:
I think if you're a reloading tinkier cartridges like the Sherman are wonderful. I think the average reloader will quickly tire are dealing with all the steps needed . My father and I are prolific loaders but back in the 90s the only readily available hot 7s were the 7 Rem Mag and the 7 Weatherby, then the 7 STW showed up. So, we built a couple of STWs. Well there was no brass so we had to make brass from 300 Weatherby cases by fireforming . There was no 8mm Rem brass available to neck down. Needless to say it was great fun for the first year but quickly became a pain in ***. It was a huge relief when Rem started making factory brass. I actually got a lot more service from the title then. It soured me on reloading for awhile.

On the 7 WSM I'm not sure where you can get ammo or brass. A friend built one and he had a heck of a time finding brass and at the time the factory ammo had dried up. If you want a WSM I'd build a 300. Our of the 3 WSMs it's the most efficient and can handle the largest range of bullets . I've owned one, my son and father both still own one. I reloaded for mine for 10 years and still reload for my son's. We've shot hundreds of rounds in them and killed Coues deer, mule deer, elk, antelope and African Plains game . I think if you study the ballistics you'll find the 300 using 150gr to 200gr bullets is very efficient and there are tons of bullets. All three of our 300s love the Berger 190 VLD for longer range reach . For tougher targets like Plains Game the 180 Barnes TTSX or Hornady GMX also shot very good. There is a reason the 300 was really the only commercial survivor of the 3. I had a 270 WSM but the lack of high BC bullets makes it fairly limited in the long range department .

Anyway, good luck with your choice I hope it's a pack driver. I'm working on loads for my new 6.5 PRC.

I had a 7wsm but I sold it. I love the 7 short magnums. Everyone is talking about the 7ss like it's special but I don't buy the hype. If I build another 7 it will be a 7-300wsm. That way you can use 270 wsm brass and just seat your bullet and go. No fireform nonsense, best case capacity, and great Norma brass seems like a clear winner to me. I bought a reamer and headspace gauges a couple years ago but I've been on a 6.5 kick lately so I haven't ever used it.
I built a 7-300 wsm on a long action throated for 180 ElDMs, man it's a great round.
If I were to do it again though I'd go 7 wsm, more velocity and factory brass.

Howdy folks,
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've got a Savage 16 short action needing a new barrel. I've got 30 cals and 6.5s but I've been thinking about the 7mm due the bullet selection. I want a long-range capable elk rifle so I definitely want more velocity than a 7-08. I'd rather have a 280AI or 28 Nosler, but I'm stuck with the SA.

I've thought about the 6.5-284 and the 7mm RSAUM. But I can readily find factory loads in 7WSM and I'll reload whatever after I get some brass.

I'm looking at Shilens but orders take 8-12 weeks...anything else I should consider?

Thanks!
Simple to talk out of... If you're building on a SA, then build a 7mm SS (Sherman Shortmag). It's designed for it.

Last edited:
You guys keep talking about building a WSM on a long action. In my opinion (it's not worth a lot and I have a ton of them) a Short Mag case in a long action is an oxymoron.

I guess I'm just a short action guy but if your building a short magnum rifle it should be able to run in short action rifle. I have always thought the manufacturers got the short mags all wrong. They should have been designed to effectively run in short action rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.