Talk me out of the 7mm wsm

The 7 WSM is ran over by the SAUM in every category, it's simply a dud, will it have cult following, sure but if it was so awesome why does a 270 case destroy it in popularity, literally hundreds of guys have tried it to get it to run at the levels the SAUM will and it won't, the 7-270 WSM is the best many got out of it but that's not a true 7 WSM, every guy I know who truly campaigned the 7 WSM ended up building the 270 or 300-7 WSM and they did well but of those guys of the top of my head it think all are SAUM now.
If your going to have to put it on a long or med action anyway run a 7 Blaser at idle and enjoy excellent brass in the same action you'd have to use a WSM.
WSMs are some of my favorites but the 7 was a major pooch screw.
An excellent 7mm in any form that shoots well with decent brass is literally gunsmith GOLD, SS and SAUM you couldn't build enough of them.
:rolleyes:

EDIT

I don't know why the reply didn't pick the right quote.

But in reply to the 'OP hasn't responded' quotes:

Yes, yes. I'm still here and I'm taking it all in. Actually, I've been sitting in hunter's ed with my son all day.

Don't get me wrong, I shoot a LA 300WM but I have this spare short action that needs a rebarrel.

Thanks for all the good advice!

Wow! This response has been incredible! Thanks all! (Figured I'd get a bunch of "not another 'which chambering?'" responses). I appreciate everyone's advice!

I've also tossed around the idea of a 6.5-284. I've heard that the WSM and -284 can give feeding problems in the Savage SAs...but I thought they were designed for SAs.

Anyway, the 7SS is intriguing but I can't imagine brass is easy to find or cheap.

The 7STW is a LA correct?

For the record, I do have both a standard and a magnum bolt head. I think it's as simple as just swapping it out for a WSM...right?

Last edited:
For what you're looking for 284 Winchester. Short action, almost the same ballistic's as 280 Ackley Improved.

The Savage 16 was also chambered in the 300 WSM so I would think you could do a 7mm WSM.

For what you're looking for 284 Winchester. Short action, almost the same ballistic's as 280 Ackley Improved.

I built one of these on a Remington short action. In order to realize the actual potential of that case you really need to run it in a long action. I sold my .284 short action set up.

Wow! This response has been incredible! Thanks all! (Figured I'd get a bunch of "not another 'which chambering?'" responses). I appreciate everyone's advice!

I've also tossed around the idea of a 6.5-284. I've heard that the WSM and -284 can give feeding problems in the Savage SAs...but I thought they were designed for SAs.

Anyway, the 7SS is intriguing but I can't imagine brass is easy to find or cheap.

The 7STW is a LA correct?

For the record, I do have both a standard and a magnum bolt head. I think it's as simple as just swapping it out for a WSM...right?
Yes, and to run it properly, you'll still need to have a gunsmith mill out and machine the bottom of the receiver and stock to install a 4.000" Wyatt's Outdoors magazine box and follower. I've been running STW's for 17 years now. Running factory ammo in a Rem 700 mag box will work, but using anything seated longer, or any heavy high-BC bullets for it will require the mag box install, to properly seat them, and use the rifle as a repeater.

Meaning what? I'm genuinely curious; if you're using a short action and are limited to sub-3.00" o.a.l what's the difference if you're shooting a WSM that the bullet is somewhat in the powder space or a saum that doesn't have that space? Seems to me you're still pushing the same bullet with a very similar powder charge.

The RSAUM was designed from the bottom up to maximize performance in a short action. The WSM with heavies can be neutered to fit, but you've neutered it. Hence the reason people who really want to maximize the WSM often run it in a long action.

So can you do it either way? Yeah. But if brass is not an issue, and you have a short action, why not consider a round designed to shoot in that configuration?

The RSAUM was designed from the bottom up to maximize performance in a short action. The WSM with heavies can be neutered to fit, but you've neutered it. Hence the reason people who really want to maximize the WSM often run it in a long action.

So can you do it either way? Yeah. But if brass is not an issue, and you have a short action, why not consider a round designed to shoot in that configuration?

The RSAUM is what got me considering the 7mm SAs. But the lack of brass (I mean, you can find it but it's $$$) turned me on to the 7 WSM

I can find 7WSM factory ammo. I hand load but having the option for brass is a nice plus.

Is the WSM really hampered that bad?

Yes! Like a Sherman!

You guys keep talking about building a WSM on a long action. In my opinion (it's not worth a lot and I have a ton of them) a Short Mag case in a long action is an oxymoron.

I guess I'm just a short action guy but if your building a short magnum rifle it should be able to run in short action rifle. I have always thought the manufacturers got the short mags all wrong. They should have been designed to effectively run in short action rifles.

...which is exactly what Remington did with the RSAUM line, but like so many other rounds they promptly abandoned it... ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.