Supports used to make long rang shot at elk

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by kimberyote, Feb 7, 2014.

1. kimberyote

kimberyote Well-Known Member

May 18, 2011
    In what exact position are you using while making a long range shot on an elk? Straight behind the rifle?
    Shooting Sticks?
    I'm shooting coyotes on the flatlands of Illinois from shooting sticks up to 200 yards. Any further I go prone with harris bipod and rear squeeze back.
    In the mountains, shooting up hill or downhill, what supports do you employ to make a hit 600-700 yards? Thanks everybody!
  2. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2011
    The short answer is, "Whatever it takes".

If you have time build yourself a good hide including shooting supports. If you don't you use whatever is handy to get yourself steady be it a backpack, daypack, sticks, Bipod, saddle, rocks, logs, trees, whatever it takes.

One of the toughest challenges in steep terrain is the uphill shot because if you aren't careful you'll end up with a nasty scope bite by propping the front end of the rifle up too high and creating a pivot point at your shoulder.

One thing I'll throw in my pack for next year will be a primo's trigger stick II Tripod. That's an incredibly handy and versatile shooting rest and has more adjustment than just about anything else I've seen.
  3. bigngreen

bigngreen Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2008
    I used to go with anything bipod, backpack, improvised but the results just are not there on a consistent basis, your rifle will recoil differently and it's easy to put a shot high or low, ya your killing them but my personal goal is precision hunting.

The past few years I hunt with my shooting position in mind, I don't go into the bottoms and I try to stay level or above the elk. I never compromise my shooting of a good bipod and a solid rear rest, on the game I've taken over the past few years you could lay all the shots over each other and there may be 3 inches of verticle but that would be stretching it.