Best long range hunting shot to date...

entoptics

Had my finest long range hunting shot to date. It was a shot of opportunity while out doing some load testing, and though I wasn't prepared, I made it work.

Spotted the quarry on a hillside, and much to my chagrin, realized I'd left the 300 Win Mag at home. Had to make do with my 264 Win Mag, which is no slouch, but a 147 ELD-M at 3050 just doesn't have the horsepower I'm comfortable with for this kind shot on dangerous game. Was it unethical? Maybe? But in the end, the meat is in the freezer, and the animal didn't suffer.

For those that might complain that the ELDM can be explosive at high velocity, that's just nonsense. The wound channel was significant, about 3/4" in diameter, but penetration was excellent, with a complete pass through. Boom Flop.

OK...Boom Flap...

IMG_5925.jpeg

Farm fresh pigeon breast. 198 yds.

I wouldn't eat a city sky rat, but the farm pigeons are wild and wheat fed, and are delicious.

This really was my finest long range hunting shot. I intentionally took a head shot, as obviously a 264 Win Mag to the boiler room might have resulted in some blood shot meat...

Hitting a half MOA pigeon head at 198 yds is hard enough, but if you've ever watched these critters feeding across a field, you know they almost never stop moving, and their little noggins bounce up and down like crazy. I just had to be patient, and was ready when the opportunity arose.

Who woulda thought a good Labradoodle Retriever would be essential to long range hunting...

IMG_5926.jpeg

While packing up my equipment after a long day of groundhog hunting, 3 crows landed in a dead tree. As a joke, I told my buddy to try and take one. He declined because the truck was just about loaded. There was a hill behind the tree so I figured that it was safe enough to give it a try.
I took one shot from my 6mmAI with a 70gr Nosler BT and saw crows fly at the crack from the muzzle. But ...... my buddy said he definitely saw one drop. We walked out the 495yds to the tree and sure enough, there lied a crow with no head or neck.

Here's a terrible quality image, taken 22 years ago with who knows what.

Crow.jpg

Last edited:
Cant imagine that labdoodle actually bringing that bird back...
Once a dog gets taste of the blood it usually eats the good part and brings back feathers.....lol....
Out on a mountain after mountain quail..the trusty retriever in back of truck could get their scent as we were traveling..if I didn't stop he would crap in the bed of truck..really getting my attention.....
Got on some birds once..got three off the hillside..put them inside the rim of spare tire inside the bed...that dog poked his nose in there and got them out...ate the breast of all three birds....heck..who was I to complain..I was gonna do the same thing........

Had my finest long range hunting shot to date. It was a shot of opportunity while out doing some load testing, and though I wasn't prepared, I made it work.

Spotted the quarry on a hillside, and much to my chagrin, realized I'd left the 300 Win Mag at home. Had to make do with my 264 Win Mag, which is no slouch, but a 147 ELD-M at 3050 just doesn't have the horsepower I'm comfortable with for this kind shot on dangerous game. Was it unethical? Maybe? But in the end, the meat is in the freezer, and the animal didn't suffer.

For those that might complain that the ELDM can be explosive at high velocity, that's just nonsense. The wound channel was significant, about 3/4" in diameter, but penetration was excellent, with a complete pass through. Boom Flop.

OK...Boom Flap...

View attachment 353701

I wouldn't eat a city sky rat, but the farm pigeons are wild and wheat fed, and are delicious.

This really was my finest long range hunting shot. I intentionally took a head shot, as obviously a 264 Win Mag to the boiler room might have resulted in some blood shot meat...

Hitting a half MOA pigeon head at 198 yds is hard enough, but if you've ever watched these critters feeding across a field, you know they almost never stop moving, and their little noggins bounce up and down like crazy. I just had to be patient, and was ready when the opportunity arose.

Who woulda thought a good Labradoodle Retriever would be essential to long range hunting...

View attachment 353706
Impressive. I have taken several elk over 618 yards, one at 774. But toughest shot, cam out of a garage window on the farm at a ground hog laying down at 574 in a hard cross wind.

Lol this was years ago when my hand was more sturdy and breathing was better.

Best for me was a yote at 738 yards that I shot out the truck window with no range finder that day and had to guess the range. One shot done !!
Drove 2miles away and seen another and had to guess him also and dialed for 640 on that one and dropped him one shot.
Went back a couple days later and ranged the carcass and ravens on them and I was within 15 yards on both.
Kids thought I was a **** legend that day 🤣

Last edited:

OK...Boom Flap...

View attachment 353701

View attachment 353706
Super.