Submitted form 1 *UPDATE: approved!!

Double check your calculations-- a rifle alum centerfire is usually not advised -- you'd need to calculate your pressure in the blast chamber by using muzzle pressure and volume of barrel and blast chamber-- then make sure it's within the swp of the alum tube you plan to use
I never thought of that. And I'd have no idea how to do it. Any idea where to find the formulas?

I never thought of that. And I'd have no idea how to do it. Any idea where to find the formulas?
Yes, and aluminum heat treat starts fading at a low sustained temperatures. It was always a concern with products we made that required secondary processes that would hit annealing temperatures after heat treat. That could be 250F for hours of time or 350F for less. Time at temp is the variable. You'd be better off with aged stainless or titanium.

Op might want to hit the suppressor forums and read up before proceeding with the build.

All kinds of info on different legalities, safety concerns, and baffle/chamber design to optimize suppressio are available and discussed on the suppressor forums. Its a good way to learn what to do/what not to do, to get ideas, lean without using trial & error-- it will reduce mistakes and help you make decisions about your build--- before pulling the trigger on a 65000psi pressurized vessel.

I would say it's even more complicated than reloading-- but easily learned if one wants to.

Op might want to hit the suppressor forums and read up before proceeding with the build.

All kinds of info on different legalities, safety concerns, and baffle/chamber design to optimize suppressio are available and discussed on the suppressor forums. Its a good way to learn what to do/what not to do, to get ideas, lean without using trial & error-- it will reduce mistakes and help you make decisions about your build--- before pulling the trigger on a 65000psi pressurized vessel.

I would say it's even more complicated than reloading-- but easily learned if one wants to.
I've googled a bunch looking for info and can't find any forums like that. Have any links?

Yes, and aluminum heat treat starts fading at a low sustained temperatures. It was always a concern with products we made that required secondary processes that would hit annealing temperatures after heat treat. That could be 250F for hours of time or 350F for less. Time at temp is the variable. You'd be better off with aged stainless or titanium.
After it being brought up im mainly concerned with pressure and not worried about heat and baffle erosion. This will be purely a hunting can. The most shots it will ever see in a string will be checking the rifle zero and adjusting and I can give it plenty of cool time since I do that at home. Other than that it will never see more than one shot at a time on game and total will most likely see less than 25 shots a year. I just want to make sure it'll handle the pressure.

I've googled a bunch looking for info and can't find any forums like that. Have any links?
I can help once I find my notes---BUT, before we proceed with calculations you need a bunch of info. Or it's all moot

You need the specifics of the "largest" rifle you plan to shoot.
Cartridge, case capacity, powder, primer, bullet, barrel length to get a muzzle pressure from someone with quick-load

Then you need to know once again, case or chamber volume, bore dia, barrel length, internal volume of the blast chamber of your suppressor (that you havent built yet) and the safe working pressure - (not yield strength) of the suppressor body/material (this would be similar to a safe hoop strength working pressure)

If you are buying a threaded tube- the sellers/manufacturers will usually have this data if you ask.

In general, what you are calculating by using the volume of gas inside the barrel at the muzzle pressure is the blast chamber pressure once the gas pressure/volume fills the blast chamber.

You have a "small" volume of gas in the barrel at a specific pressure--- when that "small" volume fills the "larger" volume of the blast chamber-- the pressure will drop--- that pressure in the blast chamber will be the highest before it passes any baffles and that pressure must be within the swl of the suppressor body material.

You really ought to consider the strength of the aluminum threads too, this info could probably be found online also.

But I'll save you a bunch of work- don't use an aluminum suppressor tube with centerfire rifle cartridges. -- choose carbon steel/stainless/ti

It sounds more complicated than what it really is-- but with the "unknowns" of an f1 build its best to err on the side of caution

Last edited:
So I thought maybe I had missed the emails somehow. So I logged in last night. Nope, didn't miss anything g. They are still in "submitted/in progress"

Following. I am about to submit a Form 1 to build a 9mm suppressor that will fit inside my PCC handguard. Materials planned are SS throughout with threaded end caps and a monocore with direct threads as it will be semi-permanently attached.