Form 1 still being approved?

ShootnMathews

Hey group I was wondering if anyone here has RECENTLY used any of the Form 1 kits from Form 1 company and got approval from the ATF? I planned to do this a few years ago but I keep hearing that the ATF is denying all form1 applications for like the last year. I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time to try it or if I should just go buy a factory suppressor and file for a permit.

I just looked to get a pic but I don't even see the company has a page anymore. I have a few buddies who did this years ago and got them approved. But I k ow things have changed so I don't know if you still can or not. Maybe I should just buy one and do a form 4.

Thoughts??

I don't claim to be the end all know all, but I'm fairly certain the Form 1 "kits" or "solvent traps" are a thing of the past (according to the ATF's stance). Form 1 is still an option, although now it's more difficult as I believe you have to explain what materials you will use, where you source them, and other specifics.

While a Form 1 can is fun to make on your own, I'd skip it and go the Form 4 route.

There used to be a form1 forum, you could Google it and see what those guys know

Something else to think about is the ability to sell a home built suppressor in the future if your plans change.

They don't tend to sell well or sell fast, and often only sell for 1/2 the price or less of co manufacturered suppressors .... they can work as well, but no company support or warranty so many people won't touch them on the resale market

Last edited:
The liability of a home made suppressor would prevent me from every buying one or even paying the tax for a free home made suppressor. Other than the liability issue, you will never find a home made suppressor that will perform like a factory built suppressor.

The liability of a home made suppressor would prevent me from every buying one or even paying the tax for a free home made suppressor. Other than the liability issue, you will never find a home made suppressor that will perform like a factory built suppressor.
While I agree with this on the big bore suppressors I have to disagree on rimfire. I've seen several home built form 1 rimfire suppressors that were every bit as quiet as a professional built one and a rimfire will never destroy. I have a good design in mind and am going to file a form one in the next day or two for. Hopefully I get approved and I'll order the stuff and build it. Looking at the price of materials I think I can build it for around $35 and a day or two of machining.

Recent Posts