Submitted form 1 *UPDATE: approved!!

I learned that with a hunting gun, first round "pop" is an issue. I don't have a DB meter, but what I did was right after I shot I put electrician's tape over the hole in the can and kept the fired round in the chamber. I figured the first round pop was due to O2 in the barrel/can. Am I on the right track?

I learned that with a hunting gun, first round "pop" is an issue. I don't have a DB meter, but what I did was right after I shot I put electrician's tape over the hole in the can and kept the fired round in the chamber. I figured the first round pop was due to O2 in the barrel/can. Am I on the right track?
Or any lubricants, bore oil, machining fluids lighting off? This is interesting.

Or any lubricants, bore oil, machining fluids lighting off? This is interesting.
I noticed that the first round is louder if I don't do anything with the gun (i.e. don't put tape on the "muzzle) and leave the chamber empty. Shouldn't be any oils or fluids in the barrel since nothing went down it other than the last round the day prior.

Well I decided to roll the dice and file a form 1. I'd really like to build my own 22 LR suppressor but they are so dang picky these days. I guess I'll see what happens. Filed tonight and I'll update it down the road with the results. In the description I made it clear that I dont already have any parts or materials and won't be buying any until after I get approved, which seems to be key these days. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck. Atf page says 40 day wait. If I get approved that quick I may be able to finish it before squirrel season.

BTW I'll add the main reason I decided to go ahead and file is I figured all they can do is reject it and refund my money, BUT when I was at my local gun store last week he and i inquired about eForms the suppressor guy there said they got an ATF letter a few weeks ago that said in June 1st at 12am they will start charging a fee for filing Form 1's. It did not say what the fee would be but it's not going to be free anymore. It's just another way the ATF is trying to discourage applicants or make it too expensive to be worth it.
We're lucky we run any suppression devises with zero oversight and unless you're running subsonic ammo, they're not a silencer 🤦

From my research clipping the baffles on one side and aligning the clippings in a row reduces the first round pop up to 10 db more than unclipped baffles or randomly stacked clipped baffles. I'm going to do this when I get my forms approved. The video I saw was very definitive though. They tested multiple suppressor cores as just cones, then clipped random stack, and clipped aligned in a row. On a 22LR the first round pop was the same unclipped and random stack and then almost 2db lower clipped aligned. And I think the center fire was a 308. Could have been a 556 though (I've watched too many videos and they blur together), but the important part was the first round pop was basically the same unclipped and clipped random stack and then was about 9db lower clipped and aligned. He used a drawing to explain what was happened inside the suppressor and why aligning the clippings in a row lowered first round pop and it makes sense to me. But regardless of why the numbers don't lie. Also I have an Omega 300 in hock and I noticed when I looked through it the baffles are clipped and aligned.

Last edited:
Okay! Okay! DO NOT go looking at pages that post approved forms 😂😂😂 I was actually trying to find a page with formulas to calculate blast chamber size and all that and found a MegaPost page with approvals. Tons of people getting from 4's in like 16 days , 30 days, and such😮‍💨😡😂😂. Oh well. Maybe mine will go through quick. It's be awesome to have it in time for deer season. Also I saw a LOT of form 1's (sbr) getting approved that were submitted around the same date as my suppressor builds. So I'm crossing fingers that any day now.

Question?? If the 2 Amendment said " shall NOT BE INFRINGED". Screw the ATF-B! Build, do NOT CLAME OR SHOW TO ANY LEO! None of their Business WHAT YOU HAVE, OR ANYTHING YOU NEED/WANT! FJB/DOJ/ATF!
While I agree with a lot of that I don't don't want to get caught with an illegal one. I think it's a 10 year sentence if I remember right. So for me I'll either have a legal one or none. Ear plugs for the family are cheaper than 10 years without them.

While I agree with a lot of that I don't don't want to get caught with an illegal one. I think it's a 10 year sentence if I remember right. So for me I'll either have a legal one or none. Ear plugs for the family are cheaper than 10 years without them.
Agree, but when the **** hits the fan, will You worry about having a piece of PAPER giving you the RIGHT TO HOLD ANY FIREARM? Because of how long the Barrel is, or the Type of Stock, if there is a suppresr/ silencer/ flash suppereser?Will you be able to build your ow? Without using Any factory parts? Pipe, springs, plugs, etc?. Even a slingshot or a working Bow, with arrows? How about a Good knife? Can you make one or will you worry about being in Compliance with LEGAL, MANDATES? The BATF, AND UNELECTED PEOPLE have made Americans Criminals by feit! FJB!

Well I decided to roll the dice and file a form 1. I'd really like to build my own 22 LR suppressor but they are so dang picky these days. I guess I'll see what happens. Filed tonight and I'll update it down the road with the results. In the description I made it clear that I dont already have any parts or materials and won't be buying any until after I get approved, which seems to be key these days. We'll see how it goes. Wish me luck. Atf page says 40 day wait. If I get approved that quick I may be able to finish it before squirrel season.

BTW I'll add the main reason I decided to go ahead and file is I figured all they can do is reject it and refund my money, BUT when I was at my local gun store last week he and i inquired about eForms the suppressor guy there said they got an ATF letter a few weeks ago that said in June 1st at 12am they will start charging a fee for filing Form 1's. It did not say what the fee would be but it's not going to be free anymore. It's just another way the ATF is trying to discourage applicants or make it too expensive to be worth it.
I did a form one and it took around seven months for approval. That was a few years ago though. I just wanted to mention (because some people might not be aware) that even though you are approved for a homebuilt suppressor, once you get the approval and build it, you are still not allowed to repair it if it gets damaged. You have to go to an ffl and all that stuff. Good luck finding someone to fixed your homebuilt suppressor. The ATF is very picky when it comes to things like that. Say you are desigining your suppressor and you realize it doesnt work. You cant stop and start over, either, even if you completely destroy the one that you were building. I asked an ATF agent that question and he said its a big no no. So if your baffels dont work as well as you thought and you design a different set, thats illegal. Obviously, no one is going to know but its something to be aware of. I will give you an example of how strict they are. If you have a slight baffel strike, and all it takes to repair the suppressor is to run a drill bit through the end of it, thats still illegal. I think the point of my comment is make sure you design, design, design before you build. Make sure your material and design will work. But if you're designing it for a .22, its probably going to work. it doesnt take much to suppress a .22.