Sub 2k long range hunting scope?

Keep circling back to these:
-Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II pro 3.5-21x50
and
-Burris XTR II 5-25x50

What's you're experience with either or another suggested option?
Thank you
Had 2 XTR ll's and sold them both. Mechanically it was excellent build quality but the glass was not up to my standards. In bright light was where they struggled. Edges would have aberrations and items/targets would blur. Especially when target shooting. Shooting long range at white steel plates was a struggle. The white painted steel would be blurry with purple edges in bright sunlight. It was disappointing to say the least. I've got no experience with the Bushnell but a friend has one and it's very nice. I replaced my XTRs with a Mark5 3-18 and the other with a Vortex Razor gen1. Both in the same price range as the XTR ll when I had bought them. XTR III is now out but I've not read any reviews at this point. Even my PST gen2's are better than the XTR ll.

Illuminated Christmas tree reticle for FFP. The Christmas tree gives you fast hunting adjustment when you don't have time to twist the turrets and also for quick Kentucky windage adjustment for the second shot if required. For example, you see where the bullet impacted on your reticle in elevation and windage, move rifle to hold on that position in your scope reticle and fire again. Christmas tree gives you corrections for both elevation and wind or moving game. FFP is my preferred reticle for hunting and target shooting because the hold over for each line on the reticle doesn't change as you zoom, but due to the FFP fine cross hair at low magnification in low light, the illumination is a big help in low light or dark background.
The H59 saved a hunt for me! I was hunting in southern Arizona in canyon country and the top turret was bumped while on the stalk. My first shot was a complete miss but I saw the impact in the reticle. This instantly zeroed me; I chambered another round and had venison steak for dinner. The shot was 398 yards across canyons and the deer dropped instantly (168 gr. Berger hunting VLD; 280 Ackley improved).

I have the DMR2 Pro. The FFP reticle is not ideal for hunting. But very nice for long range precision.

IMO most high zoom FFP reticles are not good for hunting.
How have you come to this conclusion? If you don't like the HIGH ZOOM....turn it down! I use nothing but FFP for everything now. When hunting my scopes are left on 8 power until I need more. It's just like a spare tire....every vehicle has one...and you don't use it till you need it....and if you need it but don't have it.....well I guess you aren't going anywhere!

I understand that one does not need a 25-30 power scope ( especially for(hunting application ) but I look at it like horsepower - does one really need 1000hp NO. Are ya gonna use all 1000hp every time ya take that car out or every day PROB NOT. But havin it all when ya DO need it or ya Just wanna push the envelope. Then it's awesome. I have a CVA Paramount .45 ML with a Vortex Viper PST ll 5-25x50 IRMOA mounted with DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece. No I don't need all that scope even on a super mag ML BC the bullets & charge only affords me to 550yds max effective range on deer size game. Though the gun has proven to shoot sub MOA out to over 700yds on paper targets. My scope setting where I hunt is usually between 5-8 power. It is great to crank it up to 25 for target shooting & tracking the bullet & seeing bullet holes in targets without a spotting scope & I crank it up to see far beyond my hunting area when hunting fields or clearings to see what's movin. I've used SFP scopes for a long time, but I won't but another one.
Exactly!!!!!

The H59 saved a hunt for me! I was hunting in southern Arizona in canyon country and the top turret was bumped while on the stalk. My first shot was a complete miss but I saw the impact in the reticle. This instantly zeroed me; I chambered another round and had venison steak for dinner. The shot was 398 yards across canyons and the deer dropped instantly (168 gr. Berger hunting VLD; 280 Ackley improved).

Yes, the Christmas tree saved me a couple times in unknown winds or moving game/targets. A SFP christmas tree messed me up though when I was zooming for multiple ranged targets from 200 to 1000 yds and trying to make 1st round hits, so I got rid of that scope. Very frustrating SFP scope trying to figure out holdovers and happy I wasn't shooting at game.

Last edited:
I compared the XTRii side by side with the Vortez Viper PST GEN 2 5-25 at two different stores and the vortex had better glass both times. I bought the vortex and put it on a precision rifle. Seems like it would be pretty heavy for a hunting rifle, though.

I love my VX5-HD with the impact 29 reticle.

Also pretty fond of the Bushnell LRHS models.

Those are both below or at 1k depending on where you look. Past that night force, vortex razors or any other quality name optic will work. Steiner has gained a pretty good following here lately also.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.