Sub 2k long range hunting scope?

cartermtn

Keep circling back to these:
-Bushnell Elite Tactical DMR II pro 3.5-21x50
and
-Burris XTR II 5-25x50

What's you're experience with either or another suggested option?
Thank you

I have the DMR2 Pro. The FFP reticle is not ideal for hunting. But very nice for long range precision.

IMO most high zoom FFP reticles are not good for hunting.

I've owned the Burris XTR II and would not buy it again. It was huge, and I wasn't fond of the turrets because the clicks weren't that positive and the finish wasn't that durable. Also the SCR reticle has too big of a center for real precision, you will notice they free floated it like an EBR-7C on the SCR 2.

No experience with the Bushnell.

If you are looking for value for the money I would look at Tract and the Element Optics Nexus.

I have the DMR2 Pro. The FFP reticle is not ideal for hunting. But very nice for long range precision.

IMO most high zoom FFP reticles are not good for hunting.
I understand that one does not need a 25-30 power scope ( especially for(hunting application ) but I look at it like horsepower - does one really need 1000hp NO. Are ya gonna use all 1000hp every time ya take that car out or every day PROB NOT. But havin it all when ya DO need it or ya Just wanna push the envelope. Then it's awesome. I have a CVA Paramount .45 ML with a Vortex Viper PST ll 5-25x50 IRMOA mounted with DNZ Game Reaper 1 piece. No I don't need all that scope even on a super mag ML BC the bullets & charge only affords me to 550yds max effective range on deer size game. Though the gun has proven to shoot sub MOA out to over 700yds on paper targets. My scope setting where I hunt is usually between 5-8 power. It is great to crank it up to 25 for target shooting & tracking the bullet & seeing bullet holes in targets without a spotting scope & I crank it up to see far beyond my hunting area when hunting fields or clearings to see what's movin. I've used SFP scopes for a long time, but I won't buy another one.

Last edited:
Just received a Nightforce NX8 4-32x50 SFP. I will probably never use the 32 except on targets but the scope is nice. It is going on a 300WM that I am finishing. The 2.5-20 had a short tube that I didn't like so I went with the higher power. I also looked at the Leupold 3-15x44 VH5 HD but it is only offered in FFP. FFP is great for targets but not ideal for hunting situation in my opinion.

GD, Good observation between hunting and precision shooting reticles.
What would you consider a good hunting reticle for FFP scopes?
BB

Illuminated Christmas tree reticle for FFP. The Christmas tree gives you fast hunting adjustment when you don't have time to twist the turrets and also for quick Kentucky windage adjustment for the second shot if required. For example, you see where the bullet impacted on your reticle in elevation and windage, move rifle to hold on that position in your scope reticle and fire again. Christmas tree gives you corrections for both elevation and wind or moving game. FFP is my preferred reticle for hunting and target shooting because the hold over for each line on the reticle doesn't change as you zoom, but due to the FFP fine cross hair at low magnification in low light, the illumination is a big help in low light or dark background.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.