• Bushnell Elite 6500 Tactical 2.5x16-42

Votes: 15 25.0%
  • Nikon Monarch X 4x16 - 50

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 26 43.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This is a great thread as I am looking to pick up a LR scope soon and was hoping to spend less than a grand if possible. I hadn't heard much about the Viper line but now I'm pretty excited to check them out. Are they all FFP scopes or just certain models??? I guess I better find out as I shoot in the wind a lot.

I hope Viper is a sponsor on this site as it is no doubt going to triple their sales!

Tom

This is a great thread as I am looking to pick up a LR scope soon and was hoping to spend less than a grand if possible. I hadn't heard much about the Viper line but now I'm pretty excited to check them out. Are they all FFP scopes or just certain models??? I guess I better find out as I shoot in the wind a lot.

I hope Viper is a sponsor on this site as it is no doubt going to triple their sales!

Tom

Only the Razor HD and the Viper PST are FFP's.

Tank

Vortex (not Viper :)) is really coming on strong in the optics market without doubt. As they say, compare for yourself and see if the quality and feature sets vs the other "brand name" scopes out there.

As I stated, I use Nikon Monarch's exclusively on all my rifles at this time. I was so impressed with the Razor 5-20x50, I can not wait to see the PST scopes! If they are anywhere close to the same quality, Vortex will have hit a home run in the sub $1000.00 category.

As far as FFP vs SFP, that is truly a personal choice as to what you want from a scope. In the past, only the +$2000 scopes offered this though. I like the ability to accurately range with the FFP scopes at all powers. The SFP scopes have pluses as well, so you have to understand the differences as to what their strengths and weaknesses are before deciding on one or the other. Vortex will offer both SFP and FFP in most all of their better scopes. Another option that is rarely seen these days from a major scope manufacturer.

Tom

Last edited:
What are the advantages of a SFP over a FFP?

SFP are cheaper, more math and can be used to gain more range after running out of elevation on the turret.

Here is an explaination on how to get more range with SFP from "Need help with 2285 yard shot." -Post

".....the NSX R1 retical marks are 1 moa at 22x. Then they are 2 MOA at 11X, and 4 MOA at 5.5x. 4x20= 60 MOA of holdover + the 61 MOA of dial up gives you 120+ MOA of elevation to work with. Just back the scope off to 5.5, dial up to your max (you must know how far that will get you), and just hold over for the rest.

Granted, you may have a hell of a time seeing your target, but you should have plenty of time to dial up to see the impact...."

Horus Vision is an exception, the reticle doesn't ever run out below. On low power it goes to like 40+ mil!

Just 8 mil is enough for most gun to reach 1000yd.

Zeiss Conquest with rapid Z reticle without a doubt. Best optics, repeatable clicks, great warranty and proven by shooters.......Rich

What about the Horus 4-16 x 50 Raptor? It is a FFP, has a side parallax, it seems to have everything except for an illuminated reticle.
What's the verdict of Horus?

What about the Horus 4-16 x 50 Raptor? It is a FFP, has a side parallax, it seems to have everything except for an illuminated reticle.
What's the verdict of Horus?

I like it. The H25 reticle is dead on for second shots, no guessing. Really nice for correcting the ballistics.

This was the only scope under 1000 that I liked until vortex viper FFP came into the picture.

Here are some views from the Sniper's Hide forum on the Horus scopes.

Horus scopes ? - Sniper's Hide Forums

That last pic of H25 reticle was on low power, the reticle is at normal size on max power.

And yeah I do agree they aren't the choice for under 500yd, I got mine to hit the 2000yd mark. I think the warranty sucks too... Vortex viper ffp is now the closest competitor against the raptor. Vortex warranty is awesome...

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.