Scope for 1000+

ohiohunter

Not much action in the optic forum so I moved this here.

I'm looking for a scope to go beyond 1000yds w/ 300wm yet I want to keep weight to 22oz max and 24x max, though I am not sure I need that high of magnification. I'm torn between a few scopes and I'm not sure which may be the best option as they all have pros and cons.

1. Viper hs-lr xlr reticle FFP w/zero stop CRS: The 6-24x is so close in size and price to the 4-16x I think its a no brainer to go w/ the 6-24x. I am however hesitant b/c of how thin the reticle is and low light possibilities. Otherwise I think I'd already ordered this scope. Anyone with first hand experience? No one in town has this scope for me to handle.

2. Viper hs-t 6-24x or 4-16x w/ VMR-1 moa reticle sfp, zero stop.

3. Sightron sii big sky 6.5-20x SFP Moa reticle. I like this scope b/c of the weight and covered turrets. It is however a 1" tube and no zero stop.. yet it is a bit cheaper than the other scopes. I think, not sure, there is enough travel to get to about 1300yds with this scope based on a theoretical 215gr berger going 2850fps with a 20moa base. The scope has 60in of elevation.

4. Zeiss conquest w/ rapid z800 either 4.5-14x or 6.5-20x.

I like the numbered reticle on the zeiss and the vortex for faster target acquistion. Vortex warranty is impecable. What do you think? Are there any other scopes that should be on my radar? Who has hands on experience they can share, also are there any scopes I've over looked. I'd like to keep it under $1k.

Not much action in the optic forum so I moved this here.

I'm looking for a scope to go beyond 1000yds w/ 300wm yet I want to keep weight to 22oz max and 24x max, though I am not sure I need that high of magnification. I'm torn between a few scopes and I'm not sure which may be the best option as they all have pros and cons.

1. Viper hs-lr xlr reticle FFP w/zero stop CRS: The 6-24x is so close in size and price to the 4-16x I think its a no brainer to go w/ the 6-24x. I am however hesitant b/c of how thin the reticle is and low light possibilities. Otherwise I think I'd already ordered this scope. Anyone with first hand experience? No one in town has this scope for me to handle.

2. Viper hs-t 6-24x or 4-16x w/ VMR-1 moa reticle sfp, zero stop.

3. Sightron sii big sky 6.5-20x SFP Moa reticle. I like this scope b/c of the weight and covered turrets. It is however a 1" tube and no zero stop.. yet it is a bit cheaper than the other scopes. I think, not sure, there is enough travel to get to about 1300yds with this scope based on a theoretical 215gr berger going 2850fps with a 20moa base. The scope has 60in of elevation.

4. Zeiss conquest w/ rapid z800 either 4.5-14x or 6.5-20x.

I like the numbered reticle on the zeiss and the vortex for faster target acquistion. Vortex warranty is impecable. What do you think? Are there any other scopes that should be on my radar? Who has hands on experience they can share, also are there any scopes I've over looked. I'd like to keep it under $1k.
If you want to shoot accurately and consistently beyond a thousand yards you need to plan on saving a little longer so you can spend more on your optics.

The minimum I'd consider adequate for your intended us would be a Leupold VX3 in 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50. Next up on the list from those would be the VX6 in eithr 3-18x50 or 6-24x50.

The quality of your optics makes all the difference in the world at long or extra long range.

If you want to shoot accurately and consistently beyond a thousand yards you need to plan on saving a little longer so you can spend more on your optics.

The minimum I'd consider adequate for your intended us would be a Leupold VX3 in 6.5-20x50 or 8.5-25x50. Next up on the list from those would be the VX6 in eithr 3-18x50 or 6-24x50.

The quality of your optics makes all the difference in the world at long or extra long range.

Im not a big leupold fan. Either way why wouldn't the vortex 24x, sightron 20x, or zeiss 20x be adequate?

Isn't the vx6 illuminated? I have little to no need for that.

No need to save, I just cannot justify the cost of a toy I'll use once in blue moon.

Im not a big leupold fan. Either way why wouldn't the vortex 24x, sightron 20x, or zeiss 20x be adequate?

Isn't the vx6 illuminated? I have little to no need for that.

No need to save, I just cannot justify the cost of a toy I'll use once in blue moon.
For a long list of reasons starting with poor quality glass in the low end Vortex and Sightrons.

The conquest has great glass but is only a 1" Tube and has very limited adjustment.

No, not all of the VX6's are illuminated.

Personally I've owned 4 Vortex scopes, on HS and three Viper PST's and had problems with three of them so I won't be spending any more money on them.

You will not have much success if any beyond 1000yds with cheap glass.

What kind of problems w/ the vortex? And how long ago?

**Also, how optically superior is the vx3 compared to what I've listed?

The Sightron S111 is a great scope. Good as glass as the high end scopes. I am not sure about reticules and power options. I know they have an 8x32 and is available in 1/8 or 1/4 minute clicks. Guys have used them at 1000 yard BR and I haven't heard no complaints. Every body says they are really good glass. I have one and I think it rates right up there with my COMP. Matt

What kind of problems w/ the vortex? And how long ago?

**Also, how optically superior is the vx3 compared to what I've listed?
Tracking and zero problems and the scopes spanned a period from about late 2010-2014.

I also just did not like the reticle but that was secondary to the issue of scopes that just weren't reliable.

The Optical quality of the VX3 and VX3 is dramatically better than those you listed (other than the conquest which has great glass particularly in low light and heavy brush and much better edge definition.

In the last two years I've traded off all of my Sightrons and Vortex HS and PST's in favor of VX3's, VX6's and Mark IV's.

All I have left for glass now is the above along with my IOR Valdada Tacticals and two Zeiss Conquests on medium/short range varmint rigs.

I absolutely love the IOR 4-14x50. Great glass, flawless operation and great performance in any light condition along with the best reticle I've ever used.

I have both the Vortex hs-t in 6 x 24 and the hs-lr in 4 x 16. I am very pleased with them both.

Have got some experience with the Zeiss conquest very recently and appears to be an excellent scope. As stated may be limited by the 1" tube but very clear and very light.

Ohiohunter, I have to totally agree with Wildrose, I've had 5 different Leupold's and they've all been great scopes, one is over 30 years old and it still sits on my 6mm which my boy now shoots! I Bought one Vortex viper HS because I got caught in the hype, put it on my AR and won't make that mistake again! Side by side dollar for dollar I'll take a leupold over Vortex any day, don't get me wrong, I did like their spotting scope but went with a Swarovski due to the weight and bulk of the Vortex for packing in on hunts! I'm looking into a long range gun and searching for scopes, I was looking at the Nightforce NXS and then was told about the VX-6, really starting to lean that way, I earn every penny I spend so I tend to save up a little longer to get the things I want! But price is always a concern with me, so if I can get something that will completely do the job I need it to for less money, well there you go. Hope this helps. One last thing a lot of people see differently through the same scope!

So after doing some research on the vx's I've not found a reticle that is remotely appealing, and no FFP offerings. I guess I could live w/ the varmint reticle. Could I have leupold put on a shorter windage knob?

So after doing some research on the vx's I've not found a reticle that is remotely appealing, and no FFP offerings. I guess I could live w/ the varmint reticle. Could I have leupold put on a shorter windage knob?
The VX6 knobs are spring loaded and collapse down when not in use very flat to the scope.

You can have the VX3s and all CDS models equipped with custom knobs. You get one free set of custom knobs with any new CDS purchase I think.

You can also have the M-1 tactical knobs installed on any of the VXIII or VX3's as well I believe.

The VXIII's can be had with a number of reticles including TMOA and Mil Dot Reticles. Two of my VX6's have the TMOA reticle which I have quickly grown to like. I have the regular mil dot reticle on several of my VXIII's and VX3's.

The varmint reticle and B&C reticles are also pretty nice and very easy to use with just a little effort.

As for FFP I see no need for it unless you've just grown up shooting with FFP scopes. That shrinking reticle at high power is hard on older eyes especially if you have anything other than a straight duplex or straight crosshair reticle.

As for FFP I see no need for it unless you've just grown up shooting with FFP scopes. That shrinking reticle at high power is hard on older eyes especially if you have anything other than a straight duplex or straight crosshair reticle.

The reticle gets bigger as you increase magnification which keeps reticle measurements consistent regardless of magnification.

As far as the CDS, it does come with one free custom dial, I just bought a VX-3 4.5-14 CDS for a .270 my boy will shoot next year, haven't worked up a load for it yet to test out the dial. I originally sent off my VX3 6.5-20 off to the factory to get a 1000yd turret put on it for my 168bergers, for the most part is pretty **** close out to 800-900yds, haven't shot it a lot much further. I realize the elements really start coming into play at the longer ranges, that's the reason I'm now looking for an overall longer range set up, to be a little more accurate with the distance against the elements. I live in Montana, so hunting can range from 3000'-10,000' where I shot my mountain goat, and temps from 60deg to -20, (burr)!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.